A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My pizza journey  (Read 460 times)

Offline Catcher

• I Love Pizza!
My pizza journey
« on: September 10, 2021, 11:10:21 PM »
I hope itís ok to have a thread where I post my pizzas so I can get feedback if anyone feels like giving it. Iím right at the start of my journey. Iím on about the fourth round of pizza making since getting my Ooni Koda 16.

Today Iím making a same day pizza dough. 64% hydration, Caputo Pizzeria, 0.2% IDY, 1tbsp EVOO. 5 mins with dough hook in KA, 2 mins hand kneeding. Will bulk ferment for 4hrs at 64f, then ball and 4 hrs at 64f (times and yeast percentage taken from table here)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 09:31:36 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: My pizza journey
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 11:22:33 PM »
I never do same day, but if I did I'd probably skip the bulk and go right to balls. Less work.

Offline Catcher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 11:27:35 PM »
I never do same day, but if I did I'd probably skip the bulk and go right to balls. Less work.

I was going to ask about that. I just checked the dough 4 hours in and it's not doubled yet so won't be balling yet. Maybe it would have been easier just to  ball from the start.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 12:54:14 AM »
Catcher, yea it is fine to start your own thread to track your own progress, get feedback (if you want any), etc.  Iís actually a good and popular idea. Good luck, I look forward to following your progress and ideas.
-Tony

Offline Catcher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 01:07:13 AM »
Well at 5hrs in the dough hadn't doubled so had a bit of a panic about whether to ball or not. I have balled them...not sure if that was the right choice.

Offline nickyr

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 02:02:28 AM »
Well at 5hrs in the dough hadn't doubled so had a bit of a panic about whether to ball or not. I have balled them...not sure if that was the right choice.
Donít worry, theyíll still taste good!

Offline Catcher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 05:06:04 AM »
I was really happy with how the dough came out. Really easy to work with and nice taste.

Offline Catcher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 07:12:07 AM »
This was my first 24 hr room ferment and I think the way Iíll make pizza from now on.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 07:31:41 AM »
This was my first 24 hr room ferment and I think the way Iíll make pizza from now on.
Both of your bakes so far have been awesome. Donít worry about the dough actually doubling in volume, especially at 64į. Itís what is happening inside wrt fermentation that matters. I wish I had an easy way to try 24 hrs at 64į. I canít tell for sure without seeing your stretched dough but it looks as if you had excellent oven spring from both bakes. Nice work.
-Tony

Offline Catcher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 04:10:48 PM »
Both of your bakes so far have been awesome. Donít worry about the dough actually doubling in volume, especially at 64į. Itís what is happening inside wrt fermentation that matters. I wish I had an easy way to try 24 hrs at 64į. I canít tell for sure without seeing your stretched dough but it looks as if you had excellent oven spring from both bakes. Nice work.

Thanks! Now what I want to work on is having a thinner cornicione. I try keeping it to barely a cm when I'm shaping the pizzas but its still larger than I want it in the finished pizza.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 05:17:26 PM »
If you want a thinner cornicione, you can also smash it completely, what isn't covered with sauce, cheese and toppings will spring up!  By paying attention to how close to the border that you sauce, you can control how wide the cornicione gets.

In fact it's a lot easier to avoid thin spots in the middle if you make the outside of the dough ball thin and leave a bulge in the middle, no matter what method you use to extend the pizza that bulge in the middle will supply dough for the middle, while what's in the cornicione will stay where it is.

Or even use a rolling pin, like many in Rome do for their thin crust pizza.  :D
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

wordpress