A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Consolidated Halo Topic  (Read 16393 times)

valleycircle, EdP and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
Re: Consolidated Halo Topic
« Reply #540 on: May 28, 2022, 05:29:31 PM »
I have a similar one, not very accurate, IME.  Weight is a better indicator than that gauge.
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #541 on: May 28, 2022, 05:43:33 PM »
Always plan B, have a 2nd tank to switch to when 1st gets empty.  Don't need a gage.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #542 on: May 28, 2022, 05:49:12 PM »
Always plan B, have a 2nd tank to switch to when 1st gets empty.  Don't need a gage.
I plan to buy the NGAS conversion so don't want another tank. Had two and gave them away a few years ago.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #543 on: May 28, 2022, 07:34:52 PM »
Question to all. What's max temp you've gotten and how long a preheat to get there?
Anyone know if NG will run as hot, or is there a loss in max temp? Assuming standard home US nat gas supply line
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 08:32:29 PM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline jim s

« Reply #544 on: May 28, 2022, 11:57:38 PM »
Haven't used propane in many years until the Halo arrived. This newer tank has a gauge like shown in the picture. Is it somewhat accurate or useless? Seondly if it does work, when in yellow zone any guesstimates on how long the Halo will run until empty?

Fill a small bucket with warm to hot tap water.
Pour the water down the side of the tank.
Run your hand along the side of the tank and feel for a cool spot.
The top of the cool spot is the fill level of the tank (itís cool because liquid propane inside the tank absorbs heat from the water, which makes the metal wall of the tank cool to the touch).

Online EdP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #545 on: May 29, 2022, 02:20:14 AM »
The Tare (empty tank) weight is stamped on every tank. An inexpensive ($10 -$15) digital luggage scale or even a bathroom scale (less accurate) wiil give you the gross weight of the tank. Subtract the tare weight from the gross weight to know how many pounds of LPG are left in the tank. The Halo consumes about 1lb. of LPG per hour on High.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 02:22:19 AM by EdP »

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #546 on: May 29, 2022, 10:57:03 AM »
The Tare (empty tank) weight is stamped on every tank. An inexpensive ($10 -$15) digital luggage scale or even a bathroom scale (less accurate) wiil give you the gross weight of the tank. Subtract the tare weight from the gross weight to know how many pounds of LPG are left in the tank. The Halo consumes about 1lb. of LPG per hour on High.
[/b] Thanks, that was what I was looking for.

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #547 on: May 29, 2022, 04:07:03 PM »
Question to all. What's max temp you've gotten and how long a preheat to get there?
Anyone know if NG will run as hot, or is there a loss in max temp? Assuming standard home US nat gas supply line
I recall 800+ don't remember exact number. NGAs can be as hot depending on how they set it up. But other variables such as low pressure from utility or running several gas appliances at the same time might cause lower heat. Also improper piping, gas leaks, dirt in line.

I converted my old bbq to NGas and it ran much hotter than propane. Warped the metal of the entire bbq. :'(

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #548 on: May 29, 2022, 08:24:00 PM »
So I tried the preheat at medium, with the stone raised 1 inch, and was pretty happy,  launched at 625 F  3:30 bake on high, and got some color to the top, with no real burning on the bottom, and did not need to use a screen.  This pie is 100% home milled winter white wheat. 
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #549 on: May 29, 2022, 09:40:48 PM »
Thanks PNW

Nice looking pie, Barry!

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #550 on: May 31, 2022, 11:10:12 AM »
Just a few from yesterday. 725įF stone temp. Roughly four mins each

Pesto, Tonno & a nod to a Pizza Supreme.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #551 on: June 02, 2022, 12:11:40 AM »
Slightly under 3 minutes for shrimp, 3 minutes for the Coppa. Launch about 800f and 770f. Very light crispy exterior shell. Mostly hi gluten Central Milling bread flour with equal small parts semolina and whole wheat.

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #552 on: June 02, 2022, 06:48:50 AM »
great color for 3 minutes. 
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #553 on: June 05, 2022, 11:24:21 PM »
Pork belly and blackberry

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #554 on: June 05, 2022, 11:53:12 PM »
Wow!!

Offline andrea85

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #555 on: June 06, 2022, 12:04:54 AM »
Hi, all, finally finalizing my purchase of the Halo oven as my first outdoor pizza oven - been baking pizza forever and it was time to upgrade from weber grill :). Not even the 20% discount on the Karu 16 made me waver from the Halo, and you people on this thread are the main reason for that :)

I have a couple questions if you don't mind - more or less related to the oven itself.

how how does the external surface of the oven get? I have toddlers at home so curious how it compares to the insulation of the oonis (koda and karu16). I am looking at stainless steel tables to put this on and most of the sturdy equipment stand ones I have found are pretty low to the ground (30 '' or less).

I have been looking at adding a saputo from the get go but the only 16'' one is only 1'' thick. That'd probably be fine from all the measurements I have seen however I am concerned it may slim down even more when curing. Should I wait for the 1.5'' or inquire about a custom order?

Similarly, I was wondering if you have recommendation of a good launching peel for it. right now planning to get the Hans Grill perforated one since I tend to use a lot of gluten free flour and I don't have yet the skills to stretch much larger than 12'' anyways. How short of a handle do you think I can get by with? 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092R43DXY/?tag=pmak-20

my backyard space is somewhat limited in depth so I am looking at a narrow stand to place the oven and prep next to it. 24'' is the max I can go in depth. The Halo is listed at 22.4'' depth, do you feel that'd fit?
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/regency-24-x-48-18-gauge-304-stainless-steel-commercial-work-table-with-galvanized-legs-and-undershelf/600T2448G.html

Thanks much!

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #556 on: June 06, 2022, 01:16:26 AM »
Hi, all, finally finalizing my purchase of the Halo oven as my first outdoor pizza oven - been baking pizza forever and it was time to upgrade from weber grill :). Not even the 20% discount on the Karu 16 made me waver from the Halo, and you people on this thread are the main reason for that :)

I have a couple questions if you don't mind - more or less related to the oven itself.

how how does the external surface of the oven get? I have toddlers at home so curious how it compares to the insulation of the oonis (koda and karu16). I am looking at stainless steel tables to put this on and most of the sturdy equipment stand ones I have found are pretty low to the ground (30 '' or less).
Very hot on top
I have been looking at adding a saputo from the get go but the only 16'' one is only 1'' thick. That'd probably be fine from all the measurements I have seen however I am concerned it may slim down even more when curing. Should I wait for the 1.5'' or inquire about a custom order?
I bought a Fiesoli stone which is slightly thicker than stock and it works well. Don't know how it compares to Saputo but it is worth a look.
Similarly, I was wondering if you have recommendation of a good launching peel for it. right now planning to get the Hans Grill perforated one since I tend to use a lot of gluten free flour and I don't have yet the skills to stretch much larger than 12'' anyways. How short of a handle do you think I can get by with? 
I use a wood composite Epicurean peel for all pizza tasks, thin, light weight easy to clean.
my backyard space is somewhat limited in depth so I am looking at a narrow stand to place the oven and prep next to it. 24'' is the max I can go in depth. The Halo is listed at 22.4'' depth, do you feel that'd fit?
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/regency-24-x-48-18-gauge-304-stainless-steel-commercial-work-table-with-galvanized-legs-and-undershelf/600T2448G.html
the legs of the Halo are much shorter than the actual oven so I think you should be okay on fitment. Don't know about your prep needs as everyone does things differently. I do prep indoors.
Thanks much!

Offline andrea85

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #557 on: June 06, 2022, 07:30:52 PM »

Thank you very much for taking the time!

Online EdP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #558 on: June 06, 2022, 08:56:30 PM »

I burned my index finger on a launch when I accidentally brushed against the front, and I've singed the hair on my arm from the heat coming out the front. I wear a welding glove on my left hand now when launching. Please keep an eye on your little ones!

I bought the 16" saputo biscotto stone and it works very well. I don't think I would want it any thicker...it does takes awhile for the 1" stone to get to operating temperature and the only advantage I can think that a thicker stone might have would be to improve recovery time. We've done 2 pizzas back to back without an issue.

I bought this one with the idea that I would cut it to the proper size when I figured out what that size would be. I haven't cut it yet. There are a bunch of different sizes available. I have a metal peel and even using rice flour I have better luck launching off of a wooden peel.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LPDQDS/?tag=pmak-20

I have mine on a 24" wide metal table that I use for welding and it fits very well. That's all you really need, but be careful opening the lid without the stone and turntable platter...it can go over backwards if you don't have any weight in it. Also, Halo is developing a table for the oven that will be ready this summer, according to the web site. We bought the cover for the Halo and I have to say, the fit and quality is outstanding. I especially like the way that it is designed to fold up and set aside while using the oven or for storage. They have really done their homework on this product line. We will likely buy the table when it becomes available.

This is our first pizza oven and our pizzas have been coming out exceedingly well...it's so easy to get great results, and each one has been an improvement over the previous effort.

This is our latest effort, a 14-incher with a thicker crust (0.11 TF). We used Camaldoli sourdough starter (25%) for poolish and it is now our favorite! The bottom had nice brown leopard-spotting, but next time I will heat the oven and the stone up a bit more. Always room for improvement. I don't take a lot of pictures because I just want to eat!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 11:43:10 PM by EdP »

Offline andrea85

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #559 on: June 07, 2022, 12:27:22 AM »
This is our latest effort, a 14-incher with a thicker crust (0.11 TF). We used Camaldoli sourdough starter (25%) for poolish and it is now our favorite! The bottom had nice brown leopard-spotting, but next time I will heat the oven and the stone up a bit more. Always room for improvement. I don't take a lot of pictures because I just want to eat!

Thank you for the thoughtful replies - great looking pizza! My only question about the saputo was that Mike mentioned he ordered the 1.5'' and after curing it came at about 1.2''. So I was wondering how much extra height you'd be really getting with the 1'' saputo compared to the stock stone. I'm all for the better heat retention of the saputo stone compared to cordierite, but I also wanted to get to the sweet spot height wise. I'll drop them a note to see if they make the 1.5'' but if not, I'll go with the 1'' and I'm sure it'll be fine.

great tip re the Halo table - I wasn't aware about it.

thanks again!

wordpress