A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina  (Read 282625 times)

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Reply #300 on: April 28, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »
Thanks VCB and BTB...I am going to try 1 day dough, make early in the day let rise, punch down and in the frig for a few hours and see what happens...I will let you all know in a few days if I think the frig rise is necessary flavor or crust crisp wise...

Offline Deacon Volker

« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2010, 05:22:16 PM »
We fashioned our deep-dish dough after the Malnati product, though I'm sure we've taken some huge liberties with their recipe.  (Ours has significant butter and eggs )  I really am pleased with how it turns out in our XLT oven though and our customers have seemed very pleased.

As far as technique, we mix our dough then cut into balls, then run through a sheeter to get them rolled out to pan diam. with the least amount of working of the dough we can.  After the dough is placed into a well sprayed pan, they are racked overnight, and held up to 5 days with zero discernible breakdown in dough quality.  We set out our pans at least 2 hours before service and in that time the dough will start to activate really nicely getting quiet puffy.  At order, we pull the edge in to form a nice, but not too thick and bread-y rim, then dock down the bottoms slightly, not too much though as you want a nice base. 

The pies are cheesed, then sent through the oven for one trip (6-6:30 minutes at 465), they are then dressed, sauced and put back in for one more full trip through. 

I agree with other replies that NOT working your dough excessively is one of the keys, as is getting it cooled quickly and allowing 2-3 hours of pre-use activation time. 

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #302 on: May 14, 2010, 03:34:25 PM »
VCB AND BTB,

Back in town and tried the one day dough per instructions..I have to say we prefer the 2 day dough...the 1 day raise seemed a much more stiffer dough and baked o.k but we will stick with the 2 day...thanks for the advice, comments and experiments...keep up the great work for all us deep dish lovers....

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #303 on: May 14, 2010, 03:48:37 PM »
VCB AND BTB,

Back in town and tried the one day dough per instructions..I have to say we prefer the 2 day dough...the 1 day raise seemed a much more stiffer dough and baked o.k but we will stick with the 2 day...thanks for the advice, comments and experiments...keep up the great work for all us deep dish lovers....

I just celebrated 'Pizza de Mayo' (for us, that was May 12) with a large contingent of deep dish pizza fans,
and had the opportunity to let the refrigerated dough come closer to room temp (on day 2) before pressing out into the pan
and I'm on board with others here who say this makes a better crust when you bake it.

So for me, my optimum dough is:
1) combine ingredients into a smooth dough ball with minimal kneading.
2) rise for 1-2 hours in a warm place
3) stick in a ziploc overnight in the fridge
4) take bag of dough out of fridge and let it come to room temp on the counter (1-2 hours) before pressing into pan.

I'll be posting photos from Pizza de Mayo eventually. I made 5 pizzas, including a garlic-crust (3rd attempt) spinach/garlic pie and my first attempt at a crustless deep dish 'meatza' (tasted good, not perfect; things were learned, next one will be better).

here's a preview: (meatza in progress)
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
http://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #304 on: May 19, 2010, 02:42:31 PM »
Quick questions, don't bite me.

As you can tell from the user name, I'm in the Chi, I do allot of cooking but I rarely try to imitate good food if I can get it locally, and I live 5 minutes away from the original Lou's location so it's taken me a while to get around to trying my hand at Lou's crust.   If  I'm cooking pizza it's my own recipe for a classic Italian, Neapolitan Pizza.

To the point I will get. 

I see lots of recipes on here, and the one on the main page just didn't look right.  Which recipe is #1, most used, highly rated etc for Lou's.

If you could point me towards the recipe and method that is most successful I would be very great full!

Mick. 

Offline BTB

« Reply #305 on: May 19, 2010, 06:06:23 PM »
Mick, I'll try not to bite, but . . . most of us on this site "cringe" when asked for the "best" or #1 recipe of a particular style or variety.  You'll have to admit that is problematic.  Many of us, myself included, are super happy with many of the recipes we've tried and return to them time and time again as expressed in numerous places on these threads.  Take some time and visit them.

We're all looking for Chicago Style pizza Valhalla and that search will unlikely never end.  My answer (and I think most) would be, . . . not going to like it . . . trial and error.  Try some of those you see here. . . add and detract ingredients as the baker sees fit.  I and my family and friendly tasters have been super satisfied with those recipes that I (and others) have indicated above.  But other colleagues' recipes are really good, too.  Recognize that Neapolitan is vastly, vastly, vastly different from Chicago Style deep dish, as is pretty apparent from the threads. Not intending to diminish your enthusiasm, but it's up to the reader's determination as to which recipe is "most used," "highly rated," "#1," etc.

--BTB

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #306 on: May 20, 2010, 10:25:33 AM »
I don't buy that to be fair. 

It's either like the original or not.

So, personally, in your opinion, which recipe is the closest to the original!

And yes, I know the Neapolitan is very far removed from a deep dish crust, I was simply pointing out what I make!

I have been lurking for a while BTW, I have read most of the larger threads on the topic and I find it odd that the recipe on the front page is so removed from the recipes in here which seem to work great from the pictures people have posted. I'm not in the market for wasting food, so I'd prefer a good starting point. 

:chef:

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #307 on: May 20, 2010, 10:52:10 AM »
I don't buy that to be fair. 

It's either like the original or not.

So, personally, in your opinion, which recipe is the closest to the original!

And yes, I know the Neapolitan is very far removed from a deep dish crust, I was simply pointing out what I make!

I have been lurking for a while BTW, I have read most of the larger threads on the topic and I find it odd that the recipe on the front page is so removed from the recipes in here which seem to work great from the pictures people have posted. I'm not in the market for wasting food, so I'd prefer a good starting point. 

:chef:

Mick, I appreciate your desire to 'get to the point' so to speak, but you should know that some of us have spent weeks or months looking thru each others' postings on here to get a sense of where other people in this forum were going with their recipes.
So, I could give you a place to start, but the reality is, it will depend on what you're looking to achieve and what your preferences are.
Many on here have been experimenting with the addition of semolina flour (hence this thread you're posting in), but I've found I prefer to make my pizzas without it. When I started on here, I wanted to reproduce something you'd find at Lou Malnati's or Pizzeria Uno, and eventually stumbled on one of Loo Waters' formulations that got me pretty close to what I wanted. 

So, for what it's worth, this is the thread where I started looking:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4070.0.html
It has Loo's Malnati dough formula, which may have been modified slightly in future threads. It should get you in the ballpark.
You might also locate something printable if you look thru threads I've posted in.

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #308 on: May 20, 2010, 02:31:53 PM »
I appreciate the amount of work you have done, I have read ALLOT of the posts on this forum! 

Think of me as standing on the shoulders of giants  :)

I recently started adding semolina to some of my larger pizzas as well, which is one reason I posted in this thread!

Thanks.

Offline firefly765

« Reply #309 on: June 12, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »
Can a complete pie be made a day or 2 ahead of time, refrigerated, (complete) then cooked a few days later? Or would this be soggy?
Would i be better off cooking, refrigerating, then reheating at a later time?

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #310 on: June 12, 2010, 08:45:50 PM »
Can a complete pie be made a day or 2 ahead of time, refrigerated, (complete) then cooked a few days later? Or would this be soggy?
Would i be better off cooking, refrigerating, then reheating at a later time?

I wouldn't recommend building an uncooked deep dish pizza until you are ready to bake it.
If you put the pizza together in the pan and then keep the unbaked pizza in the refrigerator for a few days, the dough will continue to rise/ferment in the pan and you probably won't get the results you're looking for.

I have baked entire pizzas and then let them cool and then wrapped slices in foil and stuck them in the fridge for later reheating,
so you can definitely do that and the pizza should still taste pretty good.
Depending on your pizza's ingredients, the flavor will either be slightly better or not quite as good as the first day it was baked.

Lou Malnati's par-bakes their pizzas when they ship them frozen, so I suppose it's possible to partially bake one and then finish it later, but you'd probably have to do some trial and error to figure out how long to pre-bake and how long to post-bake.

Since the difference between first-time baking (about 40 min. @ 450 deg. ) and reheating (about 20 min. @ 350-400 deg.) is so small, you might want to consider baking it fresh if you are able.

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?

Offline RobDude

« Reply #311 on: June 16, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »
I've got my first attempt with Semolina sitting in the fridge as we speak :)

Offline android

« Reply #312 on: August 24, 2010, 11:10:53 PM »
thanks for this thread, i've had great success the few times i've tried to make this. once i got a proper deep dish pan, everything came together for me. here's to deep dish!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #313 on: September 02, 2010, 12:55:19 PM »
BTB i made this recipe using cornmeal for semolina and i found out i needed around another 15% hydration to get it to be moist enough to work.  used the recipe in the first post
Wherever you go, there you are.

Offline sonofapizza

• Gluten for Punishment...
« Reply #314 on: September 02, 2010, 02:29:29 PM »
forgive me as to be "West Coast" enough to call that pie the "BOMB"!. 
I am intimidated to try a CHi-town style yet.  Yours looks amazing. 

Offline BTB

« Reply #315 on: September 02, 2010, 03:37:12 PM »
BTB i made this recipe using cornmeal for semolina and i found out i needed around another 15% hydration to get it to be moist enough to work.  used the recipe in the first post
c0mpl3x  -  Chicago deep dish hydration is usually in the range of 45 to 50%.  Hydration in the range of 60 to 65% would be very unusual and none of the primary Chicago deep dish pizzerias make their pizzas with such high hydration, nor do they utilize corn meal in their recipe.  But what's important is what you and yours like and if the corn meal and high hydration make for a product that you love, then that's all that's important.  I am a big fan, however, of using a little semolina as part of the flour mixture and am not a fan of corn meal except in some great thin crust recipes.  But keep up your experimenting and make the best pizza that you can.                                  --BTB

P.S.  I've had the summer off from making some great pizzas but am looking forward to returning home in the fall and getting back to some good pizzamaking again (like this one).

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #316 on: September 02, 2010, 05:27:41 PM »
i redid the recipe using my new salter scale that came in, and indeed it's 1g =/- .5g

it came out great!  only i used about 5-6% margarine instead of 1% to get more of the 'pizzeria uno' taste and it came out pretty good.  i used a forced rise by placing a covered 2qt stainless bowl outside in the sun inside of the grill (temp gauge read 102f) and let it sit for an hour.  it was a hair under doubled so i pressed it out into my pan after i sprayed it with canola spray, and popped it in the oven for a hair under 4mins to give it some 'spring'.  worked out alright.  i took it out and cheesed it (6 parts mozz 2 parts swiss one part cheddar) and being that all i had was shredded at the time, i popped it back in for another 4 mins to get the cheese melted down a bit.  sauced it on one half, and used diced pepperoni and sliced mushrooms on the other, sauced everything, and topped it off with shredded asiago.  it baked at 450 for i believe for 19 minutes, not counting the par and cheese bake.   came out great.  used my own sauce that is a very robust and thick tomato sauce/paste mix, but wasn't overpowering on the pizza.      gave it a sprinkle of gia russa parmesan cheese when it came out to grease blot and most everyone loved it (always have the naysayer critics!)

i made 17ozs of dough for a 1.5" high crust in a 12" straight side cake pan.  worked out great, but is very thin for the tastes.  oh and BTB i used white fine ground cornmeal from a local mill.   very hard to notice, and very subtle in the texture

Offline BTB

« Reply #317 on: September 03, 2010, 11:17:26 AM »
c0mpl3x, your pizza sounded very good.  I often use much more than 1% butter now, too.  Next time grab your digital camera and share the pictures of the pizza with us so that we can see what it looked like.
                                                                                     --BTB

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #318 on: September 03, 2010, 02:24:28 PM »
c0mpl3x, your pizza sounded very good.  I often use much more than 1% butter now, too.  Next time grab your digital camera and share the pictures of the pizza with us so that we can see what it looked like.
                                                                                     --BTB

i have to use my phone as of late, and it wouldn't let me save them when i did.  idk what was going on  >:(

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #319 on: September 04, 2010, 01:28:58 AM »
made a 2.5 day dough and took it into work tonight.  took about 13 minutes of cooking in the oven, the first 4 or so were cheese and dough only.  the pic of that i forgot to save (doh!)  but i have a final pic of the last slice left.   everyone LOVED it and now there is a sauce can with a hole in the lid labeled 'friday deep dish fund' and i already have $10 in it.

12" wide, about 1 3/4" high.  used 14ozs of local store brand mozz (whole milk) and it has such a soft creamy taste it is simply mouth watering on it's own.

wordpress