A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina  (Read 282896 times)

Offline Vindii

Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Reply #340 on: October 17, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
"Best" is always relative.  Reflecting my most current preference, here's a recipe that I used recently for a 14" diameter straight-sided pan that is 2" deep, the dough going up the side 1.5", a TF of .125 and a 1.5% bowl residue:

Flour (100%):  436.26 g  |  15.39 oz | 0.96 lbs
Water (45%):  196.32 g  |  6.92 oz | 0.43 lbs
ADY (.75%):  3.27 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.87 tsp | 0.29 tbsp
Salt (1%):  4.36 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.78 tsp | 0.26 tbsp
Olive Oil (6%):  26.18 g | 0.92 oz | 0.06 lbs | 5.82 tsp | 1.94 tbsp
Corn Oil (12%):  52.35 g | 1.85 oz | 0.12 lbs | 11.63 tsp | 3.88 tbsp
Butter/Margarine (6%):  26.18 g | 0.92 oz | 0.06 lbs | 5.53 tsp | 1.84 tbsp
Sugar (1.5%):  6.54 g | 0.23 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.64 tsp | 0.55 tbsp
Total (172.25%): 751.45 g | 26.51 oz | 1.66 lbs | TF = 0.126875
    *The Flour Blend can be (1) all KAAP flour, or (2) 80% KAAP (349 g/12.3 oz.) and
      20% semolina (87.25 g/3 oz.), or (3) 80% KAAP (349 g/12.3 oz.), 12% semolina
      (52.35 g/1.85 oz.) and 8% rice flour (34.9 g/1.23 oz.)
Note: 1/2 tsp of Baker's NFDM was added, but is optional (used for color and tender crust affect)

While I generally use King Arthur AP flour, that's just a personal choice.  I generally bake on a low rack for 35 to 45 minutes at around 450 degrees F, but that depends on the characteristics of one's oven.  The butter component can either be melted and cooled or very soft and mixed in.  And of course avoid overworking the dough.  Like with many things, it's worth experimenting with the various ingredients to see what you like.

--BTB

If I am going to try this recipe using IDY instead of ADY do I use the same amount or do I need to adjust?

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #341 on: October 18, 2010, 06:10:42 AM »
If I am going to try this recipe using IDY instead of ADY do I use the same amount or do I need to adjust?

Reduce the yeast by about 1/3 when adjusting from ADY to IDY.
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Vindii

« Reply #342 on: October 18, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »
Reduce the yeast by about 1/3 when adjusting from ADY to IDY.

Thanks Loo.

Another quick question.  I'm making a 14 pie (first deep dish) and was wondering how much sausage most of you use?  1 lb for a 14" sound right?

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #343 on: October 18, 2010, 03:45:25 PM »
IMO 1 lb. is too much. I went back to the patty discussion here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4226.msg35242.html#msg35242 and saw that I used 8oz. on a 12".  Try 11-12 oz. for a 14".
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #344 on: October 18, 2010, 03:51:31 PM »
I used 8oz. on a 12".  Try 11-12 oz. for a 14".

On a proportionate basis, if 8 ounces is a good number for a 12" pizza, the amount to use for the 14" size would be (7 x 7)/(6 x 6) x 8 = 10.89 ounces, or roughly 11 ounces.

Peter

Offline Vindii

« Reply #345 on: October 18, 2010, 04:16:29 PM »
Thanks guys.  I've never seen this much math come into cooking until I came around here.  Great site.

I should have some pics of my first pie tonight.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #346 on: October 18, 2010, 04:17:43 PM »
IMO 1 lb. is too much. I went back to the patty discussion here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4226.msg35242.html#msg35242 and saw that I used 8oz. on a 12".  Try 11-12 oz. for a 14".

I recently made a 14" deep dish and had purchased 1.5 lb package of raw italian links.
There were 6 links in the package and I only needed 4 to cover the pizza.

So yeah, you could use 1 lb (16 oz) for full-patty-effect, or as the others suggest, 11-12 oz should sufficiently cover the bottom.  
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
http://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline musthavepizza

« Reply #347 on: October 19, 2010, 08:34:13 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of my BTB reci-pie ( sorry ) ...  This forum is great and has helped me refine this to the point of maybe even opening a restaurant in an area starved for this kind of pie!

This guy features:
Maple carmelized onions
Home Made Meatballs
Garlic sauteed mushrooms
5 cheese secret blend
seasoned 6 in 1 sauce with some chopped tomatoes to bulk it up.

Baked in 9 inch cake pans so it only took about 25 minutes at 475 since they are thinner than regular pizza pans.

Offline BTB

« Reply #348 on: October 20, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »
musthavepizza --
That's a beautiful pizza pie.  Great pictures and lip smacking views of a delicious looking pizza.  Look at that oozing cheese.  Wow.  It's making me hungry already.  Great job, fella.  Where did you come out of?  First posting and already an incredible looking deep dish pie.
                                                                                             --BTB

Offline musthavepizza

« Reply #349 on: October 20, 2010, 03:03:23 PM »
BTB - Thanks for the compliment!  And I can say it tastes as good as it looks!  Again, kudos to you and your lengthy research and testing.  I've been tweaking and playing for about a year.  Make pies about once a month.  So this isnt my first.  That one was not so good...  But now I have it down.  Accurate measurment is the key.  It really is science and small changes can make a big difference.  Still would like a bit more "crumb flake" to the dough which you seem to get in your pictures, but this is very tasty.  Light , tender, great flavor that compliments the toppings and sauce.  When it comes together there is nothing better.

I am in the Los Angeles area and NO ONE has a place that serves this type of pizza.  And the couple of deep dish places that try are thick bready doughs that suck or have no flavor.  If I want to eat bread I'll eat good artisan bakery bread.  This is what a deep dish should be.  Thin tasty buttery light crust in a pan in perfect proportion to the cheese, toppings and sauce.   And I can tell you a LOT of people LOVE this kind of pie.

I'm getting hungry now too...

Offline cup-o-pizza

« Reply #350 on: October 26, 2010, 07:09:55 PM »
Took a second crack at the Malnati recipe last night and got better results with the crust.  I baked it for approximately 25 minutes at 450F on a preheated stone on the bottom rack of my gas oven.  The crust had a nice light, biscuity quality, and had good flavor.  I think I've got a good handle on the crust.  The toppings are something of an issue now.  For one, I can't seem to find the right amount of mozzarella to use.  The first time I made a Chicago-style pie, I used too little mozz (approx. 6 oz on a 9" pie).  This time, I used too much (approx. 10-11 oz. on a 9" pie).  Also, the sausage didn't get cooked all the way through in some places.  Finally, the sauce, which was made up of half a 28 oz can of drained 6-in-1 and some diced tomatoes on top, just didn't have much flavor.  It lacked salt, mostly.

Matt

Navin R. Johnson: "Oh, this is the best pizza in a cup ever. This guy is unbelievable. He ran the old Cup 'o Pizza guy out of business."

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #351 on: October 26, 2010, 09:12:26 PM »
i use about 13oz for a 12" deepdish, which is roughly 1/4" thick when it comes out. 

i would try using around 8.5oz based off of some quick math.  i have no problems with cooktimes
Wherever you go, there you are.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #352 on: October 26, 2010, 10:45:44 PM »
I place enough cheese to cover the bottom and then enough to fill any gaps.

I'm making my  square deep dish in the next few days so will take pictures of layering the cheese and the results after cooking.

Obviously this is different from the regular round pie, but not so different.

The most common problem I see when people make deep dish is the use off too much sauce, first off technically, I don't use any sauce in my deep dish. It's not really a sauce when you're just putting chopped/crushed tomato on, it's more of a topping, and you don't need so much, it will reduce down and also fill out, too much moisture might be the reason why your sausage didn't cook properly.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #353 on: October 26, 2010, 11:44:34 PM »
I place enough cheese to cover the bottom and then enough to fill any gaps.

I'm making my  square deep dish in the next few days so will take pictures of layering the cheese and the results after cooking.

Obviously this is different from the regular round pie, but not so different.

The most common problem I see when people make deep dish is the use off too much sauce, first off technically, I don't use any sauce in my deep dish. It's not really a sauce when you're just putting chopped/crushed tomato on, it's more of a topping, and you don't need so much, it will reduce down and also fill out, too much moisture might be the reason why your sausage didn't cook properly.

i use strained diced tomatoes mixed about 60/40 with stanislaus full red.  i get very firm sauce, and i spinkle about 2oz of locatelli romano on the top

picture related of sauce/cheese layering.  really good pic i think

edit: i almost dropped the pizza and all of the hot sauce slid to the left side thats not in the picture.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive "At Five" Adams' Facebook -- Games, Tech, Politics  & more!
« Reply #354 on: October 29, 2010, 12:52:02 PM »
Hello, all. After trying what seems like a hundred different recipes, I have yet to find the right deep-dish dough recipe (damn you, cornmeal!). When I stumbled upon this forum, it was love at first sight. I think this crust might be "the one." I tried the dough earlier this week, in my 14" Chicago Metallic "Bakalon" pan (best pan ever) @450deg for 35 minutes. I checked after 20 mins and, unfortunately, I had already burned the crust.

I have a gas oven (I absolutely hate it) and I placed the pizza it on the bottom rack, which in retrospect, was right above the flame that heats the oven. The other possible factor was the oil in the pan. I used EVOO... and a bit too much of it, which I think contributed to the burning. Before I make this pizza again, I'd like to get some suggestions on temp, time and oil.

My intuition tells me to grease with, Crisco, and cook at 425 on the middle rack, but I'm certainly open to hearing suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

-Clive

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #355 on: October 29, 2010, 01:08:33 PM »
EVOOil in the pan and low down's what dud the did! (did the deed)

I'm not good with these newer pans, is it non stick?  You might wanna try no grease in the pan at all depending on what kinda recipe you follow? 

Trial and error my friend.  Get to know your oven better, gas can be your friend, its a lot to do with placement in the oven as well as what recipe you follow!

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive "At Five" Adams' Facebook -- Games, Tech, Politics  & more!
« Reply #356 on: October 29, 2010, 03:51:41 PM »
It is non-stick, though I'm always nervous to go without any grease at all... maybe I should just trust my buddies at Chicago Metallic. ;) So what do you all use for oil/grease? Anything?

One thing's for sure... I'm watching tonight's pizza like a hawk. Thanks for your input!

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #357 on: October 29, 2010, 04:33:54 PM »
I've tried oil, butter, and Crisco in the bottom of the same pan you use..I am a firm believer Olive or Crisco helps with a crisp bottom..I can't  help with the gas oven but if you review some of the past posts of time and temp you are not far off...keep an eye on the crust top and pull out when you think it is ready...I always leave it in 5 min. more when I think it is ready..ha ha

Offline BTB

« Reply #358 on: October 29, 2010, 07:06:35 PM »
I suggest trying Crisco on the bottom of the pan only and not the sides.  Many of our members actually prefer Crisco or some similar shortening.  Later when you get a little more experience, you can use a little regular OO instead, but the EVOO can work, too.  Some don't mind its flavor.  And try the middle rack or one level down from the middle.  I use the second from the bottom rack level, but I have a totally different kind of electric oven.  Like Mick said, you got to get to learn the idiosyncrasies of your oven.  Sorry to hear about the burning, but it is part of the pizzamaking learning process.  Good luck on your next one.

--BTB

Offline cup-o-pizza

« Reply #359 on: November 07, 2010, 08:36:54 AM »
Third time is the charm.  I was really happy with this Malnati-inspired pie.  The crust was really exceptional and the proportions of the toppings were spot on for my tastes.  It was really flavorful too.  Thanks for the help everyone!

Matt

Navin R. Johnson: "Oh, this is the best pizza in a cup ever. This guy is unbelievable. He ran the old Cup 'o Pizza guy out of business."