A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina  (Read 282754 times)

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Reply #460 on: June 02, 2011, 02:31:29 PM »
jcg,

Enjoyed your posts, great job and it sure is fun when it comes out right...my dough is rising right now...Thanks

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive "At Five" Adams' Facebook -- Games, Tech, Politics  & more!
« Reply #461 on: June 03, 2011, 12:20:06 AM »
Great looking results!

I haven't been to Zachary's, so, sorry, I can't help you there. I do know few establishments put their REAL recipe online for all to see... they would lose their competitive edge, no? Corn Meal seems to be the big Deep Dish Canard. It's in almost every recipe you find online, but it's never actually IN authentic deep dish pizzas...

Good one,  ::)

Again, great-looking results. I didn't expect results like that from your pan!

-Clive

Offline Shwanzee

« Reply #462 on: July 24, 2011, 08:18:59 PM »
NOOB here, wanting to post my thanks, and my pics.  i'm a chicagoland transplant who has been in Phoenix for 14 years.  We have some good places here for thin crust, but I have been struggling to find good deep dish.  we did have an Uno's here for a while, but alas the one we had shut down.  SO, in the middle of a major craving for a Lou Malnati's pie, i went to google searching for a dough recipe, which led me here. 

I have never been so impressed with myself after baking something.  My fiancee had never had a deep dish pizza, and was blown away.  I did a 46% hydration wtih 20% semolina, using 24% fats (olive, corn and butter) based on BTB's successes.  I used a 12" cake pan lubed up with a little corn oil, 18 minutes on middle rack, rotated and put on my pizza stone for last 12 mins. 

I had a lot of experience making neopolitan style pizzas at home, but all of my attempts at deep dish were failures because i was using normal pizza dough, not realizing there was such a substantial difference. 

I couldn't believe what i tasted last night out of my own oven!  thank you all so much!

Adam

Offline Shwanzee

« Reply #463 on: August 04, 2011, 10:14:37 PM »
And for what it's worth, for the butter crust, its the exact same crust, except after they form it into the pan, they just brush it with melted butter.  No huge mystery.  Saw a pizza special on the Travel Channel where they were were doing it.  The key to this episode, it wasn't Mark making the pizza on TV, it was one of the normal cooks, so they didn't hide this "secret"

Offline PaultheThird

« Reply #464 on: August 07, 2011, 11:59:40 PM »
Deep Dish Family:
I made my first BTB/Pizzamaking.com etal/ Mulnati clone last night and it was awesome!  The attached pictures don't really do it justice.  Thanks to BTB for doing most of the heavy lifting on not only providing what may be the definitive deep dish dough recipe, but for the detailed, and nearly foolproof (there's always someone who can muck up perfectly good directions::)) instructions on how to prepare and bake.  I also want to thank the others whose posts and responses helped guide a novice baker.  Clive's concerns about his oven made me curious about mine.  Thanks to Clive, I put a digital thermometer I use for BBQ in the oven and learned my oven temp can run as much as 50 degrees hotter than the displayed temp. 

Offline PaultheThird

« Reply #465 on: August 08, 2011, 12:13:06 AM »
Now the initial excitement has worn off and I am ready to begin the process of "tweaking" the recipe to strive toward perfection.

The first iteration did not have nearly enough cheese and I may have been a bit heavy-handed on the sauce.  Easy fixes.  My question for BTB and the forum is on making changes to the dough.  I would like to get a bit more flavor out of the crust and I think the answer is adding a bit more salt.  Bit, I realize is a poor qualitative term, but its the best I can do until I learn the lexicon of baking.  As I am new to baking, I am curious how changing the salt content will affect the finished product.  I used BTB's percentages from page 23 of this thread (salt 1%).  Question: In what increments should I add salt?(e.g. try adding .25 or .5 grams or increasing salt % to 1.5%) Will someone please make a suggestion? My digital scale does not measure in tenths of a gram so its going back.  I had to guesstimate so that may have caused me to use slightly less salt than required.  Can someone suggest a decent digital scale no more than $50 that measures in .1 gram increments? Finally,  if I change the salt content, will it require I change other components?

Thanks again to all for making my first outing so successful! Looking forward to many more!

Offline BTB

« Reply #466 on: August 20, 2011, 09:53:49 AM »
. . . for what it's worth, for the butter crust, its the exact same crust, except after they form it into the pan, they just brush it with melted butter. 
I've long indicated this fact on this website in numerous threads that Malnati's "buttercrust" is first an optional type of crust (not their standard type) and that it is melted and just brushed on when the option is requested.  Having said that, my experience has been that the brushing of melted butter just doesn't do it for me and others that I know of and I've long advocated putting some melted or softened (preferred) butter into the crust formulation itself.  The crust then is much tastier in my estimation, but one's experience with this is what's all important.

I made my first BTB/Pizzamaking.com etal/ Malnati clone last night and it was awesome!  The attached pictures don't really do it justice.  Thanks to BTB for doing most of the heavy lifting on not only providing what may be the definitive deep dish dough recipe, but for the detailed, and nearly foolproof instructions on how to prepare and bake.
Great job, P3, and thanks for the great photos that give so much life to what you're doing and accomplishing.  While I use a scale in general, for the small measurements, I just use teaspoons and tablespoons and fractions thereof (and estimates for unusual fractions) instead of the scale.  Many of the Chicago Style Deep Dish pizzerias use little to no salt and my last time at Malnati's (just last week) seemed to show that they don't, but I do prefer it and add some on my pizzas at the restaurant and add such to the crust formulations that I make at home.  I just prefer some salt (around .5 to 1.5%), but one must experiment with the proportion to see what's good for them. 

It's hard -- for me at least -- to answer "how changing the salt content will affect the finished product."  To me it is preferable and I don't think it affects the crust qualitatively, but try one small pizza with and one without to determine for oneself.  If the formulation calls for a quarter of a tsp, try 1/2 etc.  I often add small measured additions to the formulation even where it is not in the original formulation without changing the other components, but I make note of it on my printouts of the formulations that I used and keep in my Pizzamaking file.  Continue your great work and look forward to seeing your future reporting on it. 

--BTB

Offline musthavepizza

« Reply #467 on: October 04, 2011, 03:12:52 AM »
Hey PizzaMaking Folks and BTB...

I have not been on here in a while but wanted to let you all know that after years of research (on this site), pizza expos, testing, tweaking, reading, baking and passion, I have actually opened my own pizza place in Los Angeles!  (It's actually in Manhattan Beach).  I partnered with a person I have known who had a small pizza place with a great N.Y. pizza.  But what I did was introduce my deep dish pizza.  Something sorely missing from Los Angeles.  It is called Union Pizza Company.  I wanted to let you all know because I am powered by passion.  Just like all you folks on this website.  My passion for pizza led me to open a place I had been talking about doing for years.  My wife was about to kill me if I wouldnt stop talking about it!  And I am happy to report that we have been serving my deep dish for about 4 weeks now and getting rave reviews.  I am amazed at how many people are from Chicago who (like me) bemoaned the fact that there was not a decent deep dish pie in Los Angeles.  Well now there is!  And there are plenty of folks from all over who seem to love this pie. 

I am using a modified BTB recipe for the crust,  with a nice chunky sauce made from a blend of diced, paste and 6 in 1.  I use a blend of 5 , yes 5 cheeses.  I pre cook and season all my toppings so there is no water in them.  Result... a nice crispy perfect crust.  No soggy bottom.  Loads of flavor.  Baking in a bakers pride deck oven at 475 degrees for 20 minutes in custom built cheescake pans from Lloyds with the no stick anodized metal.  Perfect bake. 

It took a while to do lots of test bakes and free samples while I massaged the recipe and trained the cooks how to make a pie that I have been laboring over for a few years.  They think I'm nuts when I bought a big ass digital scale and made them perfectly weigh out the ingredients.  They look at me funny when I obsess over how they make the dough, press out the dough, make the sauce, etc...  But then again I'm a pizza nut and want it perfect.  And I think my customers can appreciate it in what they get. 

I have had a family come in 4 times already and tell me they are addicted to my deep dish.  Pretty cool.  It's even on the back of my cards because I knew this was a great pie and a ton of people never have had anything like it, and those that did will now be able to get the fix they have been craving.  Had a guy come in and say he had been shipping pies in from Lou Malnati's but not any more.  Now this may seem like I'm bragging.  I am but Im not.  Im just happy that what I was pretty sure would happen , is indeed happening.

Now the bad news is that my deep dish pizza costs me a lot to make because of the quality (and quantity) of the ingredients I am using.  So I'm not making money yet, but hopefully, word of mouth keeps us growing.  Even in the last couple of weeks business is up, so I hope it keeps going.

For all those of you out there that may want to do this too, I will say it is very hard and expensive.  And there are no guarantees it will work.  There are many forces working against starting a new business.  But I do have that passion so I feel lucky to be able to share it and make others tastebuds happy.

If you are ever in Los Angeles and want to stop by, please do and say you heard about us from the Pizzamaking website.  If I'm there you get the royal tour and I'm sure a great meal.  And our NY pie is pretty great too as our other owner is from Brooklyn and he is as crazy about good pizza as I am.  Go figure...

And for those who say man can not live by pizza alone, I for one can say this aint so.  You can...

My best to all pizza (and especially deep dish) fans on this site.
 ;D
Bruce

Union Pizza Company
1570 Rosecrans Ave.
Manhattan Beach, CA. 90266
310-536-9888
www.unionpizzacompany.com

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #468 on: October 04, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »
Hey PizzaMaking Folks and BTB...

I have not been on here in a while but wanted to let you all know that after years of research (on this site), pizza expos, testing, tweaking, reading, baking and passion, I have actually opened my own pizza place in Los Angeles!  (It's actually in Manhattan Beach).  I partnered with a person I have known who had a small pizza place with a great N.Y. pizza.  But what I did was introduce my deep dish pizza.  Something sorely missing from Los Angeles.  It is called Union Pizza Company.  I wanted to let you all know because I am powered by passion.  Just like all you folks on this website.  My passion for pizza led me to open a place I had been talking about doing for years.  My wife was about to kill me if I wouldnt stop talking about it!  And I am happy to report that we have been serving my deep dish for about 4 weeks now and getting rave reviews.  I am amazed at how many people are from Chicago who (like me) bemoaned the fact that there was not a decent deep dish pie in Los Angeles.  Well now there is!  And there are plenty of folks from all over who seem to love this pie. 

I am using a modified BTB recipe for the crust,  with a nice chunky sauce made from a blend of diced, paste and 6 in 1.  I use a blend of 5 , yes 5 cheeses.  I pre cook and season all my toppings so there is no water in them.  Result... a nice crispy perfect crust.  No soggy bottom.  Loads of flavor.  Baking in a bakers pride deck oven at 475 degrees for 20 minutes in custom built cheescake pans from Lloyds with the no stick anodized metal.  Perfect bake. 

It took a while to do lots of test bakes and free samples while I massaged the recipe and trained the cooks how to make a pie that I have been laboring over for a few years.  They think I'm nuts when I bought a big ass digital scale and made them perfectly weigh out the ingredients.  They look at me funny when I obsess over how they make the dough, press out the dough, make the sauce, etc...  But then again I'm a pizza nut and want it perfect.  And I think my customers can appreciate it in what they get. 

I have had a family come in 4 times already and tell me they are addicted to my deep dish.  Pretty cool.  It's even on the back of my cards because I knew this was a great pie and a ton of people never have had anything like it, and those that did will now be able to get the fix they have been craving.  Had a guy come in and say he had been shipping pies in from Lou Malnati's but not any more.  Now this may seem like I'm bragging.  I am but Im not.  Im just happy that what I was pretty sure would happen , is indeed happening.

Now the bad news is that my deep dish pizza costs me a lot to make because of the quality (and quantity) of the ingredients I am using.  So I'm not making money yet, but hopefully, word of mouth keeps us growing.  Even in the last couple of weeks business is up, so I hope it keeps going.

For all those of you out there that may want to do this too, I will say it is very hard and expensive.  And there are no guarantees it will work.  There are many forces working against starting a new business.  But I do have that passion so I feel lucky to be able to share it and make others tastebuds happy.

If you are ever in Los Angeles and want to stop by, please do and say you heard about us from the Pizzamaking website.  If I'm there you get the royal tour and I'm sure a great meal.  And our NY pie is pretty great too as our other owner is from Brooklyn and he is as crazy about good pizza as I am.  Go figure...

And for those who say man can not live by pizza alone, I for one can say this aint so.  You can...

My best to all pizza (and especially deep dish) fans on this site.
 ;D
Bruce

Union Pizza Company
1570 Rosecrans Ave.
Manhattan Beach, CA. 90266
310-536-9888
www.unionpizzacompany.com

Happy to see that you're making a go of it and having some success!  :chef:
I'm pretty jealous, as I hope to someday do what you're doing, if I only had the $$$$$  to get a restaurant going.

We might be able to help you figure out how to cut some costs without affecting your final product.
There might just be some ingredients that you are using now that you might be able to omit or subtitute to get an acceptable result.
or there could be brands of flour/cheese/tomatoes that could be a more affordable option and taste just as good.

i.e. - I'm in Chicago and had abandoned semolina altogether because I couldn't find an affordable source for it, so it didn't make sense to me that the restaurants would have used it back in the 40's, so now I use Ceresota All-Purpose Flour with great results. I'm discovering that if you check the labels of certain store brands, you will notice that some of them match Ceresota's numbers for carb/protein/sugar/fiber .

You're fortunate to be in California, where some of the best canned tomatoes can be gotten.

Please let us know what brands you're currently using. Maybe someone on this forum can help you lower your costs.

All the luck in the world to you. You make us proud.  :pizza: :) :chef:
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
http://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline BTB

« Reply #469 on: October 04, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »
Great, great looking pizzas and I hope you do terrifically well, Bruce.  It's been a while since I've been to the "nutty" state of California, but I've traveled throughout the state for many years in the past when active in business there.  (My apology for the "nutty" characterization.)   I think good Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza should do very well there, given that it's a big difference with traditional "California Style" (which "style" is a mish-mash IMO) and the many, many Neapolitan pizzas that are becoming so "common place" these days.

Over a decade ago when I first started making pizzas at home, I used this new thing called the "Internet" and came across a recipe for Malnati's deep dish pizza.  It contained a small amount of semolina and the author claimed it was the best.  With many hard drive crashes over the years, I lost track of the link, BUT that's what made me explore -- along with the other great recipes herein -- to make the best deep dish pizza possible.  In my many, many trials and errors, my pizza tasters overwhelmingly prefer those trials WITH semolina as opposed to without.  But I admit, I do like it both ways, with a little preference with semolina included in the formulation.  I disagree with my good pizzamaking friend, Ed, in this regard, but admire his great pizzamaking abilities (check out his fantastic site).

In the Tampa area where I generally reside now, Chicago Style Deep Dish pizza is nowhere near as commonplace as all the NY/NJ pizzerias that reflect the majority of the northern snow-birds here.  And while we have those silly media "polls" like exists in most metropolitan areas as to who's best, . . . the No. 1 rated pizzeria among them all has for a good number of years been "Cappy's."  And guess what?  They include a substantial amount of semolina in their deep dish crust.  And guess further what?  They are a pizzeria famous for two styles of pizza . . . Chicago Style Deep Dish and New York Thin Crust (now where did I hear of that before?  Oh at the great new Union Pizza Company in Manhattan, CA (www.unionpizzacompany.com)).  Hope someday I can make it out west to try some of your great tasting pizzas and encourage all to get out to Manhattan, CA and have some great pizza.  Best of luck.

--BTB

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #470 on: October 04, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »
BTB,

It looks like there are now two people who are using a version of your semolina-based deep-dish dough recipe commercially. The other is Patrick Cuezze: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10310.msg91366.html#msg91366.

Peter

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #471 on: October 11, 2011, 04:11:38 PM »
I live in Chicago and totally love Lous so I finally tried BTBs recipe on #365.  This was my second attempt as my first attempt was with 35% semolina.

For my 2nd try I went with only 20% Semolina, and boy was this crust fantastic.  Gonna try 25% semolina next.  Still trying to work the ins and outs for the cheese but I used 6-1 and Glen Muir stewed tomates on top and it was just fine.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:37:36 AM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #472 on: October 12, 2011, 11:08:36 AM »
Very nicely done pythonic.  Great quality pics!  Looks delish!

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #473 on: October 12, 2011, 10:38:47 PM »
Thanks Loo.  I try my best.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #474 on: October 13, 2011, 01:31:33 AM »
Here's the rest of the pics.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #475 on: October 14, 2011, 07:15:11 PM »
now have your friends over and make some cash!  tell em you ordered 4 lous and they need to chip in!!! just kidding!!  really looks fantastic!!!  nice job!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline BTB

« Reply #476 on: October 16, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »
Very impressive, pythonic. Love your pictures. I'm especially impressed on how well you "pinched" and "crimped" the rim of the pizza instead of the fat cornice or rim that others often attribute (albeit wrongfully) to typical Chicago Style deep dish pizza.

I, too, love Lou Malnati's pizzas and the original one there on Lincoln Ave. in Lincolnwood, IL was my luncheon -- and often-times dinner -- home for a dozen or two years or more.  I don't know what it is about original restaurants, but the spin off of successful businesses like this often don't match the taste and quality of the original.  One exception with the Malnati's group is the Elk Grove Village location on Old Higgins Rd near the airport.  They are the oldest of the expansion group and just about as great as the Lincolnwood original restaurant.

While I tend to like the 20% semolina blend in my formulation (and often with a tiny bit of rice flour), my taste testers vary on loving the pizza crust with varying proportions of semolina -- some liking 40% and others 15%.  But none prefer those crusts that I occasionally make without any semolina.  So its a personal preference and its good to try out various mixtures and see what you and yours like the best.

Your pictures show an absolutely delicious-looking and mouthwatering deep dish pizza that should be quickly gobbled up by all pizza lovers.  Now that summer is over, I'll be back soon making some more pizzas, too, and while I most often have recently used the Lou Malnati's canned tomatoes, next to them I love and prefer the 6 in 1s with some "diced" Glen Muir tomatoes added.  I noticed that you used Glen Muir's stewed tomatoes and find that interesting.  I might have to try that some time.  But the diced tomatoes when baked on a deep dish pizza most often to me taste just like -- or close to -- the tomatoes that one gets on a deep dish pizza at Malnati's Lincolnwood restaurant.  Let us know more -- after your further trials -- on how you find the stewed tomatoes to match up with Lou's original. 

--BTB

P.S.  This looks as good as any pizza that I had at Lou's.  Keep up the great pizzamaking.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #477 on: October 18, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »
BTB,

Thank you for your kind comments.  Coming from you, "The Malnatis King" it means a lot.   I recently made the jump from NY Style pizza to deep dish and this thread was the first one I noticed.

How much is it for a can of the Malnatis Tomatoes?

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #478 on: October 18, 2011, 06:17:18 PM »
BTB,

How much is it for a can of the Malnatis Tomatoes?

Last time I bought them, they were about $3 per 28 oz can.

There's a thread about those tomatoes here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10837.msg118591.html#msg118591
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
http://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline Klankster

• Klanky.com
« Reply #479 on: October 22, 2011, 12:46:09 AM »
I was going to try the America's Test Kitchen Chicago-style recipe tomorrow for dinner but found this thread and decided I'd do this one first.  The dough is in my fridge now.

I'm curious -- on the ATK show the guy from the Chicago pizzeria (don't recall which one) spread raw sausage over the cheese on the bottom of the pan, and I was wondering (A) how to be sure it gets cooked thoroughly and (B) if doing it that way rather than pre-cooking it results in a lot of grease in the pizza.  Normally when I make a pizza with sausage, I cook it first and drain it, then put it on the pizza and bake it.  I do have a heat sink I use when I bake my deep-dish pizzas, but was wondering if others on this forum use the raw sausage technique, and if there is anything special I need to do if I do it this way.

When I make sauce for my deep-dish pizzas, I start with a 28-ounce can of Hunt's crushed tomatoes, pour that into a wire sieve and drain it for at least 2 hours, then mix in about a teaspoon of salt, some oregano, a can of Contadina tomato paste with roasted garlic and a can of tomato paste with Italian Herbs.  The sauce ends up nice and thick, and doesn't make the crust soggy.

Can't wait to try this crust!
They call me MISTER Pizza-Boy!

wordpress