A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina  (Read 282896 times)

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive "At Five" Adams' Facebook -- Games, Tech, Politics  & more!
Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Reply #540 on: November 28, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »
Yes, actually. My gas oven runs roughly 50 deg hot. >:D

When I cook my pizzas, the dial says 375, but the oven cavity is in the realm of 425.

If you have an oven themometer, use it to find the true temp in the middle of your box versus what your dial says... and "calibrate" accordingly.  ;D

-Clive

Offline BBH

« Reply #541 on: December 01, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »
I've done this recipe quite a few times and wondering if this is happening to anyone else.  The problem I have it that the dough does not seem to fully cook closer to the center.  What I mean by not fully cook is that the top 50% of the dough (only toward the center of the pan) is more like partially cooked dough - not flaky, more doughy.  I have used standard well seasoned pans as well as pans with holes in the bottom and the same thing.  I can't tell by any of the pics on the post if all the crusts are like this or not. Thickness is about 1/4 inch as well.  Cooking at 475 on a stone.

Any help would be great.

Is it me only or is anyone else seeing this or is this the way it's supposed to be?

Thanks

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #542 on: December 01, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »
BBH, how long have you preheated the stone?  If you don't already do this I recommend preheating the stone as hot as your oven will go for at least 30 minutes but more like 45 minutes then cook on that max temp stone but reduce the oven temp to 475* when the pizza goes in.  Try that and see if it helps your situation.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive "At Five" Adams' Facebook -- Games, Tech, Politics  & more!
« Reply #543 on: December 01, 2011, 12:40:29 PM »
Pre-heating is good, yes...

You may also want to consider cooking lower and slower. Just like in a deep-fat-fryer, if your oil temp is too hot, your outside will crisp and burn before your inside has a chance to cook. This may be what's happening to your pizza. Especially, if your oven runs a little hot, like mine does, you'll be scorching that pie at "475"... sad day.

Offline BBH

« Reply #544 on: December 01, 2011, 01:06:27 PM »
Thank you.

The oven/stone is preheated for 60 minutes and I use a laser temp on the stone to see what it's at -  475 is how hot it is for sure.  My crusts are more dark brown as opposed to golden I suspect because I'm leaving it in longer in an attempt to get the center cooked all the way through.  Edges are brown as well - no char at all.

Pans are commercial pans from a pizza place, well seasoned.  I've been using 47% hydration as opposed to 45%, so will try 45% next to see if any difference and also try out lowering the temps to 450....

Brad

Offline Hdale85

« Reply #545 on: December 09, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »
I ordered 5 9" PSTK stacking pans from pizzatools.com. I need them to get here by Christmas Eve as I'm making pizza for our traditional Christmas Eve dinner. I also grabbed a pan gripper, I'd like to order some smaller pans later but for now I just needed them for our dinner.

Offline BTB

« Reply #546 on: December 09, 2011, 10:48:27 AM »
I ordered 5 9" PSTK stacking pans from pizzatools.com. I need them to get here by Christmas Eve as I'm making pizza for our traditional Christmas Eve dinner. I also grabbed a pan gripper, I'd like to order some smaller pans later but for now I just needed them for our dinner.
Nice.  I think you'll really love those pans.  Just first wash them with a little soap and hot water in the sink, rinse and dry.  Here's my pan gripper that I got from them and it is really convenient.  Just make sure you grip the pan tightly until you get it to the stove top, cutting board or whatever.  If someone loosened their grip a little . . . opps.                   --BTB        

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:21:48 AM by BTB »

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
« Reply #547 on: December 09, 2011, 10:49:57 AM »
BTB, how big a pan can you reasonably expect to hold with that gripper?

Offline BTB

« Reply #548 on: December 09, 2011, 10:56:04 AM »
BTB, how big a pan can you reasonably expect to hold with that gripper?
I've held up to about a 12" pan comfortably by itself, but when I do a 14", I do the same as they do at Malnati's restaurants and have a spatula or something in the other hand underneath the pan to better hold the heavier pizza weight.  At the restaurants, they usually always bring all size pan pizzas out to the tables using a metal gripper, but with another implement for the large size pans.   --BTB

Offline Hdale85

« Reply #549 on: December 09, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »
I ordered a gripper from Amazon actually, it was a good bit cheaper and still looked pretty nice. If it doesn't work as well that's ok it wasn't much money.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B671DY/?tag=pmak-20

Is the one from pizzatools metal? It looks a lot nicer in your pics then what I saw on their site.....hmmm
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:27:19 PM by Steve »

Offline BTB

« Reply #550 on: December 09, 2011, 11:38:09 AM »
In the past I often looked for more inexpensive options, but have learned that even if "a little more," it sometimes is worth getting it.  I thought that since pizza tools are their specialty of sorts, that I would order from pizzatools.com and have never been disappointed.  But I'm sure that all the grippers work similarly and yours will be fine.  Mine is some sort of heat resistant plastic-like material for which I don't know the details of.  But I highly recommend it as it is super handy in handling hot DD or other pans.    
                                                                 --BTB
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:49:49 AM by BTB »

Offline Hdale85

« Reply #551 on: December 09, 2011, 11:56:08 AM »
I went ahead and canceled the one from Amazon, the one from Pizzatools looks much nicer. I don't seem to be able to edit my order though, so I'm not sure I can add it on? Might have to wait until I order some other items from them.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #552 on: December 09, 2011, 01:31:16 PM »
Hdale85,

I would call PizzaTools and see if you can have them modify your order.

Peter

Offline Hdale85

« Reply #553 on: December 10, 2011, 01:33:36 AM »
Yea I may, I have to make sure I have enough extra now lol. I got an email today that they are making my pans and they should ship by the 14th? Strange they don't have a stock of them. I hope they arrive before the 24th as that's when I need to use them lol.

Offline Hdale85

« Reply #554 on: December 16, 2011, 03:42:43 PM »
Well I got my pans today, one thing I'm a bit disappointed about is it doesn't seem like the coating is all that durable, as on the top edges it's kind of scuffed up and knicked a bit already? Doubt it's from shipping. Do any of your pans look like that? Maybe it's normal. I guess for almost 20 dollars a piece I was expecting them to be nicer, but proof is in the pudding I guess. They still seem a bit expensive for what they are.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #555 on: December 16, 2011, 04:22:22 PM »
Hdale85,

I would call PizzaTools and discuss your situation. I have ordered several PSTK items from PizzaTools in the past and they all arrived in good order. Maybe you can take a photo and include it in an email to PizzaTools if that will help them assess your situation.

Peter

Offline Hdale85

« Reply #556 on: December 16, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »
Well it just the rim, and looking at some of the pictures I see similar markings on some of BTB's pans and what not..... Honestly they probably work fine which is why I said proof is in the pudding.

Offline Hdale85

« Reply #557 on: December 16, 2011, 04:26:09 PM »
I did have a question, do you guys not wash your pans after the first cook? I see a lot of people say they just wipe them out with oil after use?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #558 on: December 16, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
I did have a question, do you guys not wash your pans after the first cook? I see a lot of people say they just wipe them out with oil after use?

You might find it useful to read the FAQs at the PizzaTools website at http://www.pizzatools.com/content/PizzaTools/CustomPages/faq.htm.

Peter

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #559 on: December 16, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »

It depends on the pan.

Most non-stick pans, like the Chicago Metallic ones,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YKGS4A/?tag=pmak-20
should be cleaned by hand (even though they claim they are dishwasher safe), but otherwise don't need any special care.

If you are using one of those seasoned steel pans, then you want to typically treat it like cast iron, avoiding soap.
Hot water is fine, as long as you thoroughly dry the pan, and then coat it with oil.

Never put any of these pans in the dishwasher.

Others in this forum have talked about deep dish pans in some other discussions.
Perhaps someone can point you out to a link regarding the "blackening" of the outsides of deep dish pans, etc.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
http://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/