A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina  (Read 282625 times)

Offline dulcevita

• Feed your enemy's pizza...and have no enemy's.
Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Reply #780 on: July 07, 2014, 07:29:44 PM »
Thanks I actually try'd a recipe I had found on here. It was very good but i'd like to tweek it a lil. I think I may use buttered flavored oil and mess with some of the levels of ingredients or maybe let the dough rise in some oil itself  like in focaccia . this one does not seem to have that same oil'y quality I look for in my CSDP ( new acronym to dispute) or my focaccia bread. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #781 on: July 07, 2014, 07:42:31 PM »
Thanks I actually try'd a recipe I had found on here. It was very good but i'd like to tweek it a lil. I think I may use buttered flavored oil and mess with some of the levels of ingredients or maybe let the dough rise in some oil itself  like in focaccia . this one does not seem to have that same oil'y quality I look for in my CSDP ( new acronym to dispute) or my focaccia bread.
I think corn oil is THE way to go and use butter flavored Crisco for your pan. Once you have a solid recipe the only thing to really mess with, to me, would be semolina amounts.

And for a solid, authentic recipe I don`t think you can do any better than to go with member pythonic, Nate, most recent CSDP recipe. He is on his game d.   :chef:

cb
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dulcevita

« Reply #782 on: July 07, 2014, 07:59:59 PM »
Ill have to give it a try I can only eat so much though. I love this site, but it makes things so easy. >:D

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #783 on: July 07, 2014, 08:56:24 PM »
Shouldn't that be CSDDP ?  :pizza:  :chef:
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
http://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #784 on: July 07, 2014, 09:03:59 PM »
Shouldn't that be CSDDP ?  :pizza:  :chef:
:-D    you are sharp Ed.

Sorry, I should have recommended your excellent site also, to Miss d,  as a great base for starting out on this style pizza.

cb
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dulcevita

« Reply #785 on: July 07, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »
Ya, just checked it out looks awesome. cant wait until my pizza game picks up a little and I can contribute back to the site, there's def alot of helpful info on this site.

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive "At Five" Adams' Facebook -- Games, Tech, Politics  & more!
« Reply #786 on: February 19, 2015, 07:31:56 PM »
Hey, all! It's been quite some time since I dropped in, but I'm still making pizzas and I figured I'd share one of my latest pies and pick the brains of the knowledgeable pizza-makers here :)

I recently moved, which came with a couple setbacks to my recent pizza-making. For one, I lost my pizza stone in the move, which isn't the end of the world since I can just get a new one (recommendations?) I am also struggling with a foreign oven (who would've thought I'd miss old satan's furnace?).

The crusts of my recent pies have been coming out fairly pale and flexible. I've tried increasing the temp, but that leads to over-cooking of the top. I've tried decreasing the temp & increasing the cook time (low and slow?) but after 45 minutes for a 9-inch, there's still no color. I've tried using different types of pan lubricant (butter for it's lower smoke point, oil in an attempt to "fry" the crust). I've tried to vary the recipe to create a crispier crust (notably higher and higher amounts of rice flour). No matter what I try, the crust comes out... floppy and pale. (Note pics below, pic 1 is uncooked, pic 2 is cooked. Virtually no difference in color.)

My ideal pie has a golden, crisp and slightly flaky crust -- I realize that this is probably EVERYONE'S ideal deep dish, but so that it's clear that these are my pizza goals, I figured I'd make the obvious known. :)

The pies always taste great, but the texture is off. (Hats off to BTB and all the contributors to this fantastic recipe!)

Thanks for your feedback!

-Clive
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:10:18 PM by Clive At Five »

Offline Brewman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #787 on: March 05, 2015, 09:51:43 PM »
What brand of yeast is used for the dough? ADY or IDY?

Offline romple

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #788 on: July 06, 2015, 11:06:52 AM »
Sorry if I'm not supposed to revive old threads.

Made this pretty much to the letter for my girlfriend who is from Chicago and her sister. My only real changes were in tomatoes (all san marzano) and oil (all olive oil, plus butter).

I didn't melt the butter. Wasn't 100% sure if I was supposed to. I actually cut it in by hand like I was making a pie crust and then added my wet ingredients. I kneaded it more than most people here would because my girlfriend likes it a bit more bready. I've never been to Chicago but I was able to thoroughly impress two Chicago natives so I felt pretty happy about it.

Was half spinach/onion half hot italian sausage. I wasn't picky about ingredients or sausage type.

Offline Joe Irick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #789 on: July 10, 2015, 01:09:57 PM »
A few months ago, I read a bit in an email article from Cook's Illustrated about using the microwave to degrease pepperoni slices. I'm paraphrasing here, but the gist of the recommendation was to place the pepperoni slices between sheets of paper towels and then place the paper towels/pepperoni slices between two dinner plates, and then put that assembly into the microwave. I usually microwave the assembly at full power for about 15 seconds and check to see if more microwaving is necessary. You don't want to overdo it because the pepperoni slices can get too dry. You don't want to extract all of the fat. Some brands of pepperoni slices have more fat than others, so microwaving the slices in steps is perhaps the prudent way to go. In my case, the pepperoni slices I use are the standard supermarket Hormel slices (the larger ones in the pouch and the smaller ones sealed in plastic).

Peter

A little trick I learned a long time ago working in a pizzeria in college - try dusting the pepperoni with Parmesan cheese prior to putting the pizza into the oven.  The parmesan will bake into the pepperoni and absorb some of the grease the heat brings out and it gives the pepperoni a better flavor as well.  We do this in both my pizzerias and people always love the lack of grease on our pepperoni pizzas as opposed to everyone else in town.  Try it out and see what you think. 

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #790 on: July 11, 2015, 12:46:32 AM »
A little trick I learned a long time ago working in a pizzeria in college - try dusting the pepperoni with Parmesan cheese prior to putting the pizza into the oven.  The parmesan will bake into the pepperoni and absorb some of the grease the heat brings out and it gives the pepperoni a better flavor as well.  We do this in both my pizzerias and people always love the lack of grease on our pepperoni pizzas as opposed to everyone else in town.  Try it out and see what you think.

Great tip!
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #791 on: July 11, 2015, 12:48:35 AM »
Sorry if I'm not supposed to revive old threads.

Made this pretty much to the letter for my girlfriend who is from Chicago and her sister. My only real changes were in tomatoes (all san marzano) and oil (all olive oil, plus butter).

I didn't melt the butter. Wasn't 100% sure if I was supposed to. I actually cut it in by hand like I was making a pie crust and then added my wet ingredients. I kneaded it more than most people here would because my girlfriend likes it a bit more bready. I've never been to Chicago but I was able to thoroughly impress two Chicago natives so I felt pretty happy about it.

Was half spinach/onion half hot italian sausage. I wasn't picky about ingredients or sausage type.

Nice pie.  See you got the 312 beer too.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Jan Sisu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #792 on: August 02, 2015, 09:53:32 AM »
I am reading this whole conversation with real interest both because I have eaten at Lou Malnati's but also i am wanting to make a deep dish pizza next week for a birthday party!!!!!!  what great timing. Thank you for being so very specific!
Jan in So Cal.

Offline ah99

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #793 on: January 21, 2017, 07:35:38 PM »
Hi guys

I've been eagerly reading your posts and seeing pics of your amazing pizzas for a while now, and tonight I made a first attempt at a Chicago deep pan...actually it's the first pizza I've ever made, using BTBs original recipe!

To be honest, despite getting good feedback on flavour, there were a few issues which I hoped you might be able to advise on please?

Firstly, I did not have time to put the dough in the fridge overnight, so instead I proofed it in a warm place for an hour until it had doubled in size. Is this an ok alternative?

I read a recipe in the great Chicago style cookbook which recommended par-baking the crust in the oven for four minutes and then pricking it all over with a fork to ensure a "springy" texture. I did not do this; would it have improved my crust?

In terms of the pizza I made, the ratios of ingredients were all wrong. About 3 times as much sausagemeat as recommended in most pizza recipes I've seen and far too much sauce too (I went rogue as the tomatoes come in different sized packages here and I made my own Italian sausage mix and miscalculated!)

The pizza crust was golden and the underside done very nicely, however the base was an uneven thickness, and verging on bread-like in the thicker places.

I didn't get the buttery flaky texture described by BTB, it was denser than that. The pizza crust edge was thin as BTBs, but with dark patches where the grease (I think?) seeped through, and had a sort of bendy texture. There was also a bit of excess water upon cutting the pizza. I did pre-fry the peppers and onions to reduce the water content, and seived the tomatoes as recommended by BTB.

My oven is fan by default, there is no non-fan option, but I kept the pizza in for the full 25 minutes (turning 180 degrees after 15 mins), but it's a hot oven, so am also wondering if I left it in for too long.

Do you think the texture was affected by the amount of toppings on the pizza? Should I use the par-baking method? Should I have baked it for less time? I think the grease factor would be alleviated with the correct portion size of sausage!

Would appreciate any tips as pizza pics posted by you all are incredible!

Thanks
Ami
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:36:03 AM by ah99 »

Offline boamama

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #794 on: March 31, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »
Hi all,

I just joined this group because I love :pizza:! I've been trying, on my own, to duplicate the Lou's Deep dish butter crust. It's been a labor of love, having to try different dough recipes.  ;D After reading through many of these posts, I realized I needed to start weighing my flour, and sifting it as well! Who would have thunk it?

I just purchased a scale off Amazon, so my next pizza will have the flour weighed, along with some Semolina. I had no idea. Does Lou's have Semolina in it?

I have a lot to learn, but it's been fun experimenting. Every time I make pizza, the dough never rests overnight in the fridge.  ::)  I'm too impatient. LOL. I also mix into the dough a bit of oregano and basil. So, it's a rise and make the pizza.

My last pizza, (see photo) I used my stone in a preheated 500 oven, then dropped the temp to 450, as per a few recommendations. That really helped cook the bottom of the dough.

I didn't follow the flour recipe generator, as I didn't have a scale. My layers were mozz cheese on the bottom, 1 lb. fresh italian sausage, onions, green pepper, fresh garlic mixed with oregano, basil, salt and pepper. I topped it with 2-28 oz Cento San Marzano whole tomatoes, broken up with my hands and drained for about an hour.

I put my pan into a 500 oven, with a hot pizza stone on the second to last lower rack. I dropped the temp to 450 Set the timer for 15 minutes. When the timer went off, I rotated the pan 180. I topped the pizza with a bit more mozzarella cheese and put it back into the oven for another 15 minutes.

I brushed the crust with a bit of melted butter with garlic and let it rest on the counter for about 20 minutes. My hubbs really liked it. The crust still isn't the same as Lou's butter crust but we aren't complaining. Maybe when I weigh everything out, it may make a difference. ::)

Well, thanks for reading, and I will post updates of my new pizza, using weighed ingredients.

Ciao everyone  :-*    :pizza:    :drool:

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #795 on: April 09, 2017, 04:26:46 PM »
Oh man. Twenty pages down, twenty to go....

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #796 on: April 10, 2017, 06:39:23 PM »
Thirty down.

Forty pages of pizza recipes on the thread, forty pages of pizza!
You make 14" round, shovel it down, thirty-nine pages of pizza recipes on the thread!

Offline boamama

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #797 on: April 10, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »
what is your point?  :o

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #798 on: April 11, 2017, 02:06:49 PM »
Hey All,

Well, this thread has been a absolute wealth of knowledge!!

I worked at pizza places all throughout high school (three of them) and a lot of the thread brought back fond memories. Thank you to all that participated, especially Pete-zaa, BTB, loowaters, Clive, and the rest!

Having waded through this and a number of other threads, I do have a question: is there now a newer "gold standard" for a Malnati's DD, an UNO's DD, and a Home Run thin crust? Any links would be appreciated!!

I know, I know, personal preference, experiment, oven, pan, hydration, etc. I'm not asking for the most "accurate" or "authentic", I'm asking if there is a generally accepted formula for the home baker beyond BTBs April 2013 posting:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6480.msg249211#msg249211

as that one is almost four years old. I have no issues with tweaking, and I doubt the calculator will pose any issues. I would just prefer to tweak from what seems to give the best result for the home cook. I want to make great pizza, but there is no reason for me to reinvent the wheel, making each of the formulas in this thread. I'm an anti-cornmealite, but that's about it.

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions! Such a great forum!

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
« Reply #799 on: April 11, 2017, 07:39:55 PM »
That is a newer posting than the one I thought was the latest.  I would think you couldn't go wrong with that formula, look at the pictures of the crust in that post.  I am going to make one soon.

If you search for home run inn you'll see there is a thread for it - https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6112.0

As to Uno DD, you may have to dig a little deeper for that.  There's a ton of posts on this forum with recipes galore, many very hidden.