A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina  (Read 282827 times)

Offline RoughMix

Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Reply #260 on: February 23, 2010, 04:21:23 PM »
Here are some pictures from this weekend's pizza using BTB's 9" recipe (listed in reply #249). I must have measured horribly wrong last time because this crust was very good, much moister than last time.

Offline BTB

« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2010, 09:50:54 AM »
The crust looks great, RoughMix.  Is that cornmeal or something under the crust?  It also looks like cheese on the top of the pizza as far I can can tell from the one picture.  Usually the cheese for a deep dish, except for some grated parmesan or romano, is under the sauce.  Good to hear that your experience is getting you better results.
                                                                                                    --BTB

Offline RoughMix

« Reply #262 on: February 24, 2010, 02:24:19 PM »
Well, I'm certainly a Chicago style traditionalist but I swayed from that a little bit. The cheese layer was applied directly to the crust followed by the sauce which was enhanced by some pizza herbs and crushed red pepper. Then I added some grated parmesan and a little bit of grated mozzarella followed by the pepperoni. While baking, the grated mozzarella oozed to the top. While not entirely traditional, it was good.

Next task is to find some 6-in-1 tomatoes. Looks like I'll have to order them online. For this version, I used chef pastorelli pizza sauce which is ok, but also not tradtional.

I really wanted to get the crust right, now I'm moving on to perfect the rest of the recipe.

Offline jimmy33

« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2010, 01:01:19 PM »
Can Somebody please help me with 18 inch calculations ??

Offline BTB

« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2010, 01:33:41 PM »
Next task is to find some 6-in-1 tomatoes. Looks like I'll have to order them online. For this version, I used chef pastorelli pizza sauce which is ok, but also not tradtional.
Yeow . . . regarding the use of Pastorilli's, which is fairly good on thin crust, but not close on deep dish.  I used to order 6 in 1 from the company over the internet in 3 or 6 can packs (the preferable 28 oz size) and receive it within 7 to 9 days way across the country at the unbelievable shipping cost of 25 cents a can.  I don't think the cost of shipping such has yet increased.  Highly recommend your ordering some of the best crushed tomatoes in the business (that many swear are similar or the same as that used in the great deep dish pizzerias).  Here in Tampa, however, I've located an Italian deli that sells the smaller cans of 6 in 1 and many other great tomato products, so I no longer need to order directly from Escalon.  Depending on where you are at, check out some local sources, altho ordering direct from Escalon is super simple, fairly quick, easy, and reasonably priced.

Offline Pizza!!

« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »
I must be lucky, the grocery store that I do 99% of all my shopping at has them.  I just picked up a a 28 ounce can for $2.99.  Given the deep dish another shot tomorrow!!

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2010, 09:26:47 PM »
Well, I'm certainly a Chicago style traditionalist but I swayed from that a little bit. The cheese layer was applied directly to the crust followed by the sauce which was enhanced by some pizza herbs and crushed red pepper. Then I added some grated parmesan and a little bit of grated mozzarella followed by the pepperoni. While baking, the grated mozzarella oozed to the top. While not entirely traditional, it was good.

I really wanted to get the crust right, now I'm moving on to perfect the rest of the recipe.

If you're lookin for more tomato info, there's a lot of it here, including this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8592.0.html
If you can find them in your area, I highly recommend the 'San Marzano' diced tomatoes in the white labeled can with the red print.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
http://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline BTB

« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2010, 10:00:51 AM »
I just posted an inquiry on that thread, Ed, about some other brands of pizza sauces (at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8592.0.html).  As you know, for Chicago deep dish style, I most often supplement my favorite 6 in 1 sauce with diced tomatoes from Glen Muir, but the next time I'm going to try those 'San Marzano' diced tomatoes in the white labeled can.  I seen those exact cans at my local Italian deli and wondered about them.  Your pictures of the contents looked really good. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2010, 10:21:19 AM »
Can Somebody please help me with 18 inch calculations ??

That shouldn't be a problem. However, what depth is your pan, is the pan sloping-sided or straight-sided, and do you want to use salt and cream of tartar, and what percent of the total flour blend do you want to use semolina?

Peter

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #269 on: February 26, 2010, 10:53:56 AM »
I just posted an inquiry on that thread, Ed, about some other brands of pizza sauces (at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8592.0.html).  As you know, for Chicago deep dish style, I most often supplement my favorite 6 in 1 sauce with diced tomatoes from Glen Muir, but the next time I'm going to try those 'San Marzano' diced tomatoes in the white labeled can.  I seen those exact cans at my local Italian deli and wondered about them.  Your pictures of the contents looked really good. 

Just to be clear, I didn't take that photo (i usually watermark mine). It came from 'The Nibble' website, where they do an in depth review of those tomatoes :
http://www.thenibble.com/REVIEWS/main/vegetables/san-marzano-tomatoes.asp
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
http://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline jimmy33

« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2010, 08:07:37 PM »
Peter
  The Pan is straight sided and I use salt not cream of tartar. The semolina is at 25 %. Peter Do you use a higher percentage of semolina?
                                                                                                 Thanks, Jimmy

Offline jimmy33

« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2010, 08:25:02 PM »
Peter
  Also I forgot to ask you at what temperature and what part of the oven do you bake it in ?      Thanks Jimmy

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2010, 08:41:13 PM »
Peter
  The Pan is straight sided and I use salt not cream of tartar. The semolina is at 25 %. Peter Do you use a higher percentage of semolina?
                                                                                                 Thanks, Jimmy

Jimmy,

How deep is the pan?

Peter

Offline jimmy33

« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2010, 08:42:48 PM »
2 inch deep

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2010, 09:46:09 PM »
Jimmy,

I used the deep-dish dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/dd_calculator.html to come up with a dough formulation for your 18" pan and the ingredients you wish to use. The formulation is as follows:

All-Purpose Flour/Semolina Blend* (100%):
Water (47%):
ADY (0.70%):
Salt (0.50%):
Olive Oil (6%):
Corn Oil (18.5%):
Butter/Margarine (1%):
Sugar (1.5%):
Total (175.2%):
667.55 g  |  23.55 oz | 1.47 lbs
313.75 g  |  11.07 oz | 0.69 lbs
4.67 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.24 tsp | 0.41 tbsp
3.34 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.6 tsp | 0.2 tbsp
40.05 g | 1.41 oz | 0.09 lbs | 8.9 tsp | 2.97 tbsp
123.5 g | 4.36 oz | 0.27 lbs | 9.15 tbsp | 0.57 cups
6.68 g | 0.24 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.41 tsp | 0.47 tbsp
10.01 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.51 tsp | 0.84 tbsp
1169.55 g | 41.25 oz | 2.58 lbs | TF = 0.126875
* The all-purpose flour/semolina blend comprises 500.66 grams (17.66 ounces) all-purpose flour and 166.89 grams (5.89 ounces) semolina flour
Note: For a straight-sided 18"x 2" deep-dish pan with the dough pushed up the sides of the pan by 1 1/2"; nominal thickness factor = 0.125; bowl residue compensation = 1.5%

There are others who are far more expert than I on the deep-dish style. However, I generally use semolina at around 25% or less. Also, my deep-dish pizzas are much smaller than 18" so I am not sure what might be the best way to bake an 18" deep-dish pizza. For my deep-dish pizzas I can either use the middle oven rack position and a bake temperature of around 450-475 degrees F or I can use a preheated pizza stone at the middle or lowest oven rack position. My oven is a basic electric oven. Maybe BTB or other expert in the Malnati deep-dish style can give you specific advice on how you might bake your 18" pizza.

Peter

Offline BTB

« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2010, 07:48:01 AM »
I don't think there are too many people out there with experience in baking an 18" deep dish pizza.  A 14" is the largest that I've ever made.  Home ovens vary greatly and you probably won't like hearing that for such a huge pizza that baking one that size could take some "trial and error." 

I always bake my Chicago Style deep dish pizzas on a low rack level in the oven, most often on the lowest level to assure a nice degree of doneness or crispness of the crust.  But my electric GE Profile home oven has NO heating elements visible in the oven at all.  Many people, tho, have electric ovens that have heating elements on the bottom of the oven that you see get red hot when heating up the oven.  One with such an oven should use a rack level 2 to 3" above that.  But many of our members report that they successfully bake on the middle rack, however.  If you use an oven with heating elements in the top of the oven that automatically turn on, I'm at a loss to give suggestions on that.  And I haven't baked on a home gas oven in many years, so I don't know if that's relevant to your situation or not.

I normally bake in the range of 450 to 475 degrees F, but because your pizza is so large, I would think a slightly lower range (say around 425) might be better.  And my guesstimate for an 18" would be that it would take from 35 to 55 minutes to cook, which I know is a very big range.  Hopefully you have glass in the oven door and watch it carefully, as well as rotate the pizza once or twice in the process.  It may be difficult, but I would be tempted after 40 minutes or so to pull the pizza out and carefully with a small spatula (like a frosting spatula) or something similar, to lift up the dough a little to see how it's baking underneath.  Hopefully you'll see a light golden color and put it back in the oven for a bit.

If you had your pizza baking at too high a rack level, the top of the pizza and it's topping would bake and darken much faster than the crust underneath.  The heat often bounces off the top of the oven and cooks the top of the pizza before the crust can be thoroughly cooked.  The result could be a near burnt top with an uncooked crust on the bottom.  This usually does not happen when a lower oven rack is used, tho.  But one of our members (Buzz) had a great idea to put some aluminum foil just loosely laid over the top of the pizza for from 1/4th to 1/2 the baking time.

I don't use a pizza stone anymore, but when I did, I put the deep dish pan right on the stone.

Again, I'm sorry to have to say that your baking adventure will involve some degree of trial and error.  Good luck, take pictures, and let us know how things turned out. 

BTW, with using such a large pan (which many ovens won't even hold), do you have a large family, neighborhood, or fraternity house to feed?

--BTB

Offline jimmy33

« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »
Thanks Pete you are a big help
 BTB ...I typically eat about a half of a 16 inch and cut up the rest and put it in a freezer bag. I used to order a Lou pizza every Saturday for the last 15 years but now I eat it about once every 2 months. I have been making your version for about a year now almost every Saturday but I'm still trying to perfect the crust(it's almost there). BTB I was wondering if you can help me step by step with the dough prep . Do you still use rice flour and if so , how would you adjust the dough calculation that Pete posted above? Do you put the salt together with the ADY in 110 degree water to proof? Also After you pull it out of the fridge how long do you leave it out and do you punch the dough down at all?  . You , Pete and Loowaters are the best and always helpfull. Keep up the great work  .  Thanks much, Jimmy

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2010, 09:09:58 AM »
Jimmy, regarding your dough prep.  We've discussed around here a bit about adding the salt to the water when blooming the yeast.  The consensus is don't do it.  If you're using ADY, just bloom it in the water and add the salt to the flour and mix it in.  I don't use any salt in my deep dish pies but do in my thin.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 03:06:36 PM by ERASMO »

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #279 on: March 01, 2010, 06:00:19 PM »
Here is the reply I received about the dough to go.

I do have four pizzas on order from lou so I will be receiving a dough ball for free.

Thank you for contacting Lou Malnati's.  As of today, we are
testing the shipping of our Lou-to-Go-Dough.  It is only available with
the purchase of a 4-pizza pack right now, but we are offering the dough
for free through March 19th.  After that, we will determine if, how and
with what products we will ship it in the future.  To order the dough
for shipping, visit:
http://www.tastesofchicago.com/category/469?r=mar1a&utm_source=mar1a&utm
_medium=email&utm_campaign=imageprod.

Thanks for your interest!

Regards,

Mindy Kaplan
Director of Marketing