A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Neapolitan Style / Re: SD starter vs. little yeast
« Last post by Pizzaman143 on Today at 03:05:55 PM »
The fact that it's a lot less sensitive to measurement and temperature error makes it a lot simpler that extended room temperature fermentation. If you're talking about refrigerated fermentation rather than room temp, then this isn't a factor as CF is largely designed to even more fully mitigate these types of difficulties/errors.

If you use your starter like a poolish or biga then yes, a refreshed starter is pretty much a poolish, biga, or other indirect method. If you only use a small quantity (not enough that the addition itself adds flavor to the dough), refreshed starter is more like a direct method and not at all like a poolish or biga.

The destination may be similar or very different. There a lot of variables including some you may not even notice.

Craig: how much of a percentage of refreshed starter would be considered a small enough quantity that its addition wouldn’t add flavor to the dough? Also, whether you add a small amount versus large amount of refreshed starter, isn’t the “destination” / fermented final pizza dough for both going to have the same flavor profile? Since the same starter is being used for both doughs, wouldn’t the amount of starter added only affect rate of maturation (more starter, more microbes, quicker maturation) for each dough and not flavor? If flavor is somewhat dependent on the quantity used, what is causing this to happen in terms of microbes/ byproducts? 
Pizza Ovens / Pizza Party final questions/needs
« Last post by ahemke on Today at 02:45:54 PM »
I am days from pulling the trigger on an oven (Pizzone or Passione, I have not quite made of my mind) and had a few final questions. I am sorry if these are repeat questions, I have seen many of these questions posted but are in many different threads. I tried to search the depths of the forum for these specific answers out luck before starting a new thread.

What tools should I look to purchase upfront? Obviously, I will need a peel, but are there any tools that I make sure I include with my order?

What about bricks...I am looking to get the saputo bricks and in the future a cordierite stone for lower temp cooking. Do I need to order 2 sets of bricks for a total of 8 bricks? The oven specification says there are 10 bricks that come with the oven.

If I were wood firing how much wood would I expect to use in a two-hour cook?

I am looking to build my own stand for the oven; does anyone have a base plan that I can shamelessly copy and modify if needed?

Is there anything that I am missing? I am looking forward to this summer, who doesn't like tasty pizza and cold beer beautiful day?
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Today's Bread
« Last post by Jersey Pie Boy on Today at 02:18:07 PM »
It's like a trip to the best bakery in town! :)
Chicago Style / Re: Uno pizzeria
« Last post by PizzaGarage on Today at 01:34:44 PM »
Do you remember what brand of tomato they used?
« Last post by mitchjg on Today at 01:13:48 PM »
Sorry, wrong link: http://www.mightypizzaoven.com/dough-recipe-creator/

Got it.  Makes more sense now.  Please note the statement:  (The data used in the calculations was developed by TXCRAIG at pizzamaking.com )
His link takes you to the same place as the link I provided - Craig's yeast chart.

PS Not complaining at all about Mighty Pizza Oven (AKA Bert).  He does great stuff.
« Last post by TXCraig1 on Today at 01:13:44 PM »

The table Mitch linked to above is what Bert used to make that calculator.
« Last post by amolapizza on Today at 01:09:06 PM »
That baker's percentage calculator does nothing to suggest how much yeast to use.
General Pizza Making / Re: A question about cheese
« Last post by TXCraig1 on Today at 01:04:32 PM »
I think it mostly is a function of the particular cheese itself. Some brands tend to melt into the sauce and others look like puffy marshmallows after baking. I'd put these cheese in those pictures near the middle somewhere.
« Last post by TXCraig1 on Today at 12:53:39 PM »
Craig: what would make the preferment easier? Isn’t it an extra step versus just letting one dough containing the starter ferment longer time? Would you say the “destination” of using the preferment versus using one dough containing the starter are the same/ very similar flavor? Also, what do you think of the terms poolish and biga just literally being refreshed starter? Aren’t these extra steps unnecessary if you just use one dough with start and let it ferment 24 hours?

The fact that it's a lot less sensitive to measurement and temperature error makes it a lot simpler that extended room temperature fermentation. If you're talking about refrigerated fermentation rather than room temp, then this isn't a factor as CF is largely designed to even more fully mitigate these types of difficulties/errors.

If you use your starter like a poolish or biga then yes, a refreshed starter is pretty much a poolish, biga, or other indirect method. If you only use a small quantity (not enough that the addition itself adds flavor to the dough), refreshed starter is more like a direct method and not at all like a poolish or biga.

The destination may be similar or very different. There a lot of variables including some you may not even notice.
General Pizza Making / Re: A question about cheese
« Last post by HBolte on Today at 12:41:47 PM »
What kind of mozzarella?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20