A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pasta!  (Read 36178 times)

Offline FeCheF

Re: Pasta!
« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2016, 08:50:51 PM »
What is it with all these pasta noodles that look like maggots. Everything else looks so good, but the noodles make me wanna barf.

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2016, 09:01:45 PM »
Texture
Quote from: HansB on Yesterday at 07:19:39 AM
“You only need to rotate it if it needs to be rotated.“

Offline JD

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2016, 10:16:25 PM »
I thought making a pink dough would be fun for my daughter. We made roasted beet garganelli and served it with beet greens and goat cheese.

Way to go Tim, looks and sounds great. My 3 year old loves to make pasta with me, I think we doing something good for the next generation.
Experience cannot be taught.

-Josh

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #243 on: June 29, 2016, 10:43:32 PM »

Way to go Tim, looks and sounds great. My 3 year old loves to make pasta with me, I think we doing something good for the next generation.
^^^
Tim's dish looks like it involved a lot of skill and imagination. Cooking with kids is great.
-Tony

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #244 on: July 28, 2016, 08:46:23 PM »
I buy most flours from the bulk bin at the co-op. I noticed the stuff they had in the durum flour bin was a totally different color than usual. It has been yellow but yesterday is was more white. I figured it was semolina in the past and now it is really durum flour but I couldn't find anything to back that up. Either way, I made a dough with 60% of that and 40% KAAP, 40% hydration.
I decided on shells for the shape and about halfway thru I started to get the hang of it. Served with some pork shank, bitter greens and breadcrumbs.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2016, 05:34:43 PM »
A bunch of cavatelli worms I just cranked out with the cavatelli machine!

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2016, 06:17:38 PM »
  ^^^
Tim's dish looks like it involved a lot of skill and imagination. Cooking with kids is great.
^^^

What is it with all these pasta noodles that look like maggots. Everything else looks so good, but the noodles make me wanna barf.

Please do it quietly, in a corner.  Or you could post it here.......I'm sure everyone would be interested.

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #247 on: September 25, 2016, 06:25:33 PM »
Oh man,  you guys are doing things the hard way.

John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2016, 07:11:54 PM »
Oh man,  you guys are doing things the hard way.

I love a good noodle, pre-packaged or homemade. But watching football, smoking ribs and making scratch pasta is just plain fun on a cloudy, rainy day!! :P
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2016, 08:53:41 PM »
Football today was watching my son's game an hour away.  No time to cook today.   On the bright side*, I stocked up at the Asian market near the game.

*The downside was I didn't get to cook,  not my son's game.  I did throw together some big eye tuna rolls.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:18:03 AM by jkb »
John

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2016, 09:02:04 PM »
Dang, great thread!  This is going to be a great one to follow!  You guys are churning out some good eats!  :chef: 
Jeff

Offline jeff v

• Supporting Member
  • I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2017, 07:50:33 PM »
Felt like fall pasta. Bucatini with Brussels and bacon. Garnished with green onion and fresno chili.

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2017, 09:21:51 PM »
Felt like fall pasta. Bucatini with Brussels and bacon. Garnished with green onion and fresno chili.
Wow!

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2017, 09:24:34 PM »
That looks awesome Jeff. Now for the 90 degree days to go away.

Offline jeff v

• Supporting Member
« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
That looks awesome Jeff. Now for the 90 degree days to go away.

Thanks! Yes, I hate to say it but I’m ready for fall.

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2017, 10:07:10 PM »
I hate to say it but I’m ready for fall.

We had that in August.
John

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #256 on: September 25, 2017, 10:49:30 PM »
I love summer but am ready for the heat to end too. I'm trying to germinate 500 lbs of grass seed and helping a friend in another town on another 600 lbs. We can't get enough water down. Feels like we are malting it rather than growing it in. We are looking at a 30° drop by Thursday. We could use some cool nights with big daytime swings. I am looking forward to shorter hours, cooler temps, and some hearty pasta by week's end.
-Tony

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #257 on: September 25, 2017, 10:53:14 PM »
We had that in August.
That missed us. Warm and 7" behind normal on rain 6/15 - 8/31. We trenched in a lot of new water lines at 28" deep and saw no moisture all the way down. Leaves are coming off trees early and are smaller than usual.
-Tony

Offline jeff v

• Supporting Member
« Reply #258 on: October 20, 2021, 03:27:38 PM »
 Cavatelli with roasted and pureed butternut squash. I made this a couple days ago, but wanted to share it here since it came out so good. I wanted to keep the "fresh" flavor of the squash, so for the puree I baked it at 320f until tender. This (in my head at least) drove off a little extra water while not giving too much of a roasted flavor. I put it in the food processor with lite chicken stock, some fresh ricotta, a little calabrian chili powder, salt and some nutmeg. Process until smooth.

Combine the puree off heat with al dente pasta and season with parm reggiano and add pasta water to thin as needed.

The roasted pieces were just caramelized in a skillet over med low heat and used as a garnish. Other garnishes were chives, toasted pine nuts, fried bread crumbs and fresh ricotta.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 03:29:34 PM by jeff v »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2021, 04:13:26 PM »
Cavatelli with roasted and pureed butternut squash. I made this a couple days ago, but wanted to share it here since it came out so good. I wanted to keep the "fresh" flavor of the squash, so for the puree I baked it at 320f until tender. This (in my head at least) drove off a little extra water while not giving too much of a roasted flavor. I put it in the food processor with lite chicken stock, some fresh ricotta, a little calabrian chili powder, salt and some nutmeg. Process until smooth.

Combine the puree off heat with al dente pasta and season with parm reggiano and add pasta water to thin as needed.

The roasted pieces were just caramelized in a skillet over med low heat and used as a garnish. Other garnishes were chives, toasted pine nuts, fried bread crumbs and fresh ricotta.

I just roasted up some butternut squash last nite!!!
Jon