A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The mysteries of Fried Chicken  (Read 26289 times)

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Re: The mysteries of Fried Chicken
« Reply #200 on: November 16, 2022, 07:19:40 PM »
The Brooklyn Maltese method. (Me) Smile...

Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline Pizza-Face

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #201 on: November 25, 2022, 12:15:11 PM »
It looks like you dunk it in a batter then you coat it in a dry mix?

If there's a recipe some where, I'm requesting it!  ::)

Offline Pizza-Face

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #202 on: November 25, 2022, 12:54:37 PM »

America's Test Kitchen recipe, which is behind a paywall, got the recipe from a book by Southern Cast Iron, which is NOT behind a paywall:

https://southerncastiron.com/master-class-classic-fried-chicken/

So I answered my own question!

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #203 on: November 26, 2022, 01:11:54 AM »
One thing i hate about deep frying fresh chicken is the excess flour. It really shortens the life of the oil. I have a pressure fryer which does a great job but takes a lot of oil. I use oil stablelizers but it still doesnt make it easy to drain and filter the oil due to the excess flour. That said i figured out a way to eliminate that excess flour. My oven range has a air fry setting that preheats to 500F in like 5 minutes. I just put the rack of breaded chicken in the oven for 5 min and then transfer to the pressure deep fryer. No more flour bits on the bottom!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #204 on: November 26, 2022, 01:43:23 AM »
I filter my oil every time I use it and refrigerate, several uses per batch!
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #205 on: November 26, 2022, 02:25:21 AM »
I filter my oil every time I use it and refrigerate, several uses per batch!

If you use a oil stablizer like MirOil you wont have to freeze. The issue is the filtering. Its a pain in the butt. I figured out a way to avoid all the excess fresh flour by using my oven range air fryer setting which takes no time at all to preheat and par fry the coating. Then transfer to the fryer.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 02:27:12 AM by FeCheF »

Offline Travinos_Pizza

• Sono Travis. Il mio ristorante Ť Travinoís Pizza
    • Travino's Pizza
« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2022, 09:35:54 AM »
If you use a oil stablizer like MirOil you wont have to freeze. The issue is the filtering. Its a pain in the butt. I figured out a way to avoid all the excess fresh flour by using my oven range air fryer setting which takes no time at all to preheat and par fry the coating. Then transfer to the fryer.

Ooo thatís clever.

I donít want to buy more equipment though haha. I feel like Iím in the 5% of Americans who donít own an air fryer
- Travis

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2022, 12:00:50 PM »
Ooo thatís clever.

I donít want to buy more equipment though haha. I feel like Iím in the 5% of Americans who donít own an air fryer

You can use a regular oven. All you really are trying to do is set the breading. All my chicken after breading going onto a baking sheet anyway, so what a few min in the oven to prevent all that flour i will have to filter later. Anyway, its not for everyone these extra steps. Once might say, why not just bake the chicken and skip the deep frying. :chef:

Offline Travinos_Pizza

• Travino's Pizza
« Reply #208 on: November 29, 2022, 03:00:49 PM »
You can use a regular oven. All you really are trying to do is set the breading. All my chicken after breading going onto a baking sheet anyway, so what a few min in the oven to prevent all that flour i will have to filter later. Anyway, its not for everyone these extra steps. Once might say, why not just bake the chicken and skip the deep frying. :chef:

As the kids would say, ďYOLOĒ

Ill take the deep fried chicken haha
- Travis

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #209 on: November 29, 2022, 03:52:27 PM »
I will go even further and say, I go out of my way to use my instant pot to pressure cook my chicken wings for 15 min before deep frying for 5 min because it produces a crispier skin and more tender juicy inside that you can almost suck the meat off the bones. Yes its more work , but worth it. :chef:

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #210 on: November 29, 2022, 06:48:40 PM »

Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #211 on: November 29, 2022, 08:13:05 PM »

Is there a technique to the dipping? It has almost a wavy texture. Can't just be luck?

Offline Travinos_Pizza

• Travino's Pizza
« Reply #212 on: November 29, 2022, 09:29:24 PM »
I will go even further and say, I go out of my way to use my instant pot to pressure cook my chicken wings for 15 min before deep frying for 5 min because it produces a crispier skin and more tender juicy inside that you can almost suck the meat off the bones. Yes its more work , but worth it. :chef:

What settings do you use? My wife has talked about getting an instant pot at some point.
- Travis

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2022, 10:10:02 PM »
What settings do you use? My wife has talked about getting an instant pot at some point.

manual high pressure 15 min, then 10 min natural release, then let cool, transfer to 350F deep fryer for 5 min, toss with sauce of choice, serve and enjoy.

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
« Reply #214 on: November 29, 2022, 10:41:44 PM »
I use an old wear-ever chicken bucket. Stovetop pressure fryer.

There's a certain lady on the internet who has made it her purpose in life to tell everyone that the chicken bucket may as well be a claymore mine and that if you see one you should get away and tell an adult.

My folks had one when i was growing up, and i found a NOS one. Works great.
Pepperoni is just American chorizo.
- Eric

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #215 on: November 30, 2022, 07:47:23 AM »
I use an old wear-ever chicken bucket. Stovetop pressure fryer.

There's a certain lady on the internet who has made it her purpose in life to tell everyone that the chicken bucket may as well be a claymore mine and that if you see one you should get away and tell an adult.

My folks had one when i was growing up, and i found a NOS one. Works great.

Yeah some of those old pressure fryers are dangerous. I bought a countertop pressure fryer. Its pretty heavy duty. It was expensive, and honestly not worth the $$$. Look up chicken express or Kuroma.

I think you are confusing pressure cooker and pressure fryer. I do have both, but i use my pressure cooker ( instant pot ) for the wings.

Offline Travinos_Pizza

• Travino's Pizza
« Reply #216 on: November 30, 2022, 08:53:08 AM »
manual high pressure 15 min, then 10 min natural release, then let cool, transfer to 350F deep fryer for 5 min, toss with sauce of choice, serve and enjoy.

Is natural release a setting? Sorry, Iím a novice on frying.
- Travis

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
« Reply #217 on: November 30, 2022, 11:06:06 AM »
Yeah some of those old pressure fryers are dangerous. I bought a countertop pressure fryer. Its pretty heavy duty. It was expensive, and honestly not worth the $$$. Look up chicken express or Kuroma.

I think you are confusing pressure cooker and pressure fryer. I do have both, but i use my pressure cooker ( instant pot ) for the wings.

I don't think I'm confused. The chicken bucket is a pressure fryer. Just 5-6 pounds of pressure. Most pressure cookers are closer to 15, right? It's dangerous under the same conditions that a pressure cooker is dangerous, it just also contains hot oil.

I don't have the branded instant pot but i have both electric and manual pressure cookers too.
Pepperoni is just American chorizo.
- Eric

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #218 on: November 30, 2022, 02:07:45 PM »
I don't think I'm confused. The chicken bucket is a pressure fryer. Just 5-6 pounds of pressure. Most pressure cookers are closer to 15, right? It's dangerous under the same conditions that a pressure cooker is dangerous, it just also contains hot oil.

I don't have the branded instant pot but i have both electric and manual pressure cookers too.

The one i have maxes out at 8 PSI. But yes commercial units are 15 PSI and cost 3x +  more then my countertop unit.

I can't speak for the chicken bucket, but my unit and commercial units have safety valves incase the jiggler fails to release the correct amount of pressure.

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #219 on: November 30, 2022, 06:58:54 PM »
Is there a technique to the dipping? It has almost a wavy texture. Can't just be luck?

Not sure if this was directed at me. However, no special technique. Just a quick dip and then roll.
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

wordpress