A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizza and G3 Ferrari (modified) electric oven.  (Read 524242 times)

Offline KilianJ

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Neapolitan Pizza and G3 Ferrari (modified) electric oven.
« Reply #1500 on: April 14, 2022, 12:27:26 PM »
Hello everybody,
I have the G3 Ferrari and you can modify it a little bit to have more power.
If the cooking is not too high for you, you can look for a gas oven.
I have the Karu 16 and it is perfect ; you can use wood and gas, the power is crazy : more than 500C, but it is only an external oven.
Have a good day.
Best regards,
KilianJ

Offline NebuK

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1501 on: September 26, 2022, 03:01:03 AM »
Hi everyone,

after reading all 76 pages, I feel like I now know almost too much  :-D. Ive got a used G3 coming, and want to slowly start modding it, and after each step evaluate whether the result is good enough for me due to my limited tinkering-time with a baby around  :-\. Of course, the easy stuff like the thermostat will come first  ::).

Being based in Germany though, I have a question regarding the cake tins: Ive checked and the dutch oven aluminum pan in 30cm is out of production, and wont come back into stores. Theres a few 36cm ones left here and there. So the only options left are:
- 36cm 3pcs dutch oven alu linings (~11)
- 27cm 25pcs cake tin (https://www.metro.de/marktplatz/product/f98f6334-0f6f-4101-a280-f9cc650dd183#) (~15)
- 54x35cm 3pcs oval aluminium serving platters (https://www.metro.de/marktplatz/product/b38eed9f-c529-4349-a624-a1ee1e4b0ac0#) (~12)

What would you think would fit the best, and do you think the serving platters are sturdy enough and easy to "hammer"(/press) into fitting nicely?

Thanks for all the info here ^_^
NebuK

Offline cypress

• Pizza Life. One Slice At A Time
« Reply #1502 on: September 26, 2022, 07:27:39 AM »
- 36cm 3pcs dutch oven alu linings (~11)
- 27cm 25pcs cake tin (https://www.metro.de/marktplatz/product/f98f6334-0f6f-4101-a280-f9cc650dd183#) (~15)
- 54x35cm 3pcs oval aluminium serving platters (https://www.metro.de/marktplatz/product/b38eed9f-c529-4349-a624-a1ee1e4b0ac0#) (~12)

What would you think would fit the best, and do you think the serving platters are sturdy enough and easy to "hammer"(/press) into fitting nicely?

the 27 cm ones do work. it won't be pretty but it will get the job done. 36 cm will probably be way too big. if at a later point you should choose to go for a heating element swap you won't be needing the reflector anyway.

Offline NebuK

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1503 on: September 26, 2022, 10:56:15 AM »
Thanks! Going for those then  8) :D

Offline NebuK

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1504 on: September 28, 2022, 09:26:24 AM »
Ha, %$#! I did my first test today with a simple dough to try out whats possible with only thermostat and reflector mod. Guess what happened? Big fat crack all the way through the stone, across the complete diameter. And not a hair-crack, at the beginning (bottom of picture), its gaping so that the semolina/flour from shaping would fall through and likely burn on the bottom element or at least in the bottom clamshell-half  :'( :'( :'(.

Well damn. Is there anything anyone can think of, or should i declare this one "heating-element donor"?

PS: The pies themselves were mixed. It seems the biggest problem is bottom burning almost instantly, even when covering the stone with a stainless steel sheet during reheat-between-bakes. Im guessing that a better way of shielding the stone during preheat is in order here. I remember photos from this thread, i just need to dig back to find them  8)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 09:35:43 AM by NebuK »

Offline cypress

« Reply #1505 on: September 28, 2022, 10:47:32 AM »
you can get a new stone on ebay for a few bucks and cut it with an angle grinder to fit the oven. as for the bottom of the pizzas being burnt, are you checking the stone temp with a laser thermometer before launching? the stone should be between 430 and 450 celsius for this type of stone.

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1506 on: October 09, 2022, 02:18:38 PM »
I've been cooking pizzas with this kind of ovens since 2 years now and it's beautilful.
Maybe a year ago my stone cracked in two and I keep using it as it is. but now I desided to replace it, so I bought a new one. this new one is redish but besides that, it seems alike. technically they are both cordierite.

The thing is the new stone seems to stick the dough so it burns a little bit in the edge part of the floor and it doesn't allow the vapors to escape, so it blows a little bit. I made one without cheese (just sauce) and the whole pizza looked as a baloon. Now I made one with cheese and the parte closer to the rim got inflated as it doesn't have many toppings to push it down. I don't have pictures of the first one but I have of the second one. It's not the best picture but one can see the elevation in the dough. also, the that part is super pale comparing to the rest of the pizza base.

Another thing is that my dough tend to shrink a little on the oven but not now, probably because it sticks.

I don't have any issues rotating it with my peel, but I noticed the part of the rim when it sticks is almost burnt. like fully caramelized.

Do you have any idea of what can I do? I'm thinking that maybe this stone transmit too much heat and I have to use it at lower temps (usually I do 420C 450C but I've done 480 without any issues with my old stone). Or maybe I need to season it somehow? I put in on my home oven for an hour, because I read that that's who you season your stone. others put oil in it but I don't think it's a good idea.

Thanks!

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1507 on: October 09, 2022, 02:57:11 PM »
I made this sketches to show what I mean. They are not great but I'm very proud of my paint skills hhaha

First one is what happened with cheese on it, only blown at the edge. Second one is what happended with just sauce.

of course, this is not a toppings problem as I made just dough with oil with the other stone and it worked wonderfully

Thanks

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1508 on: October 09, 2022, 03:53:39 PM »
I think the same as you, that probably the stone transfers too much heat too quickly. Lowering the heat could resolve your problem, but where's the fun in that?

This is apparently a problem with the new stone, yet the new stone is technically the same as the old stone. Hm, something must give is what I'm thinking.

You can try cooling down the floor a bit just before you launch, just to see if it helps. I use vermiculite for this purpose, after a tip from Lilla Napoli. It works really well. I've heard other creative methods mentioned too, like pots of cold water, but those a bit risky perhaps.

(Like your clear and informative sketches by the way)

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1509 on: October 09, 2022, 03:59:45 PM »
Since the old one worked fine for years, I'd like to continue doing the same as before (I mean, nothing haha).

if it's a material problem then I'll try to find a new stone of the same material. I'll attach a picture of the difference between both stones. the new one is reddish.

if it's not a material but a seasoning thing, I'd like to know what to do to season it

Offline lemongrab

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1510 on: October 12, 2022, 05:54:11 AM »
I modded my G3 Ferrari by putting the lower heating element (pacman style) to the top and bending the pin that limits the thermostat. So far, the top is nicely baked, but the pizza is undercooked from the bottom. The stone has ~400C. If I reduce the heat on the top element the bottom gets enough time to bake nicely as well. Now, I don't want to manually fiddle with the thermostat for every pizza.
Would this be fixed by using a different pizza stone? If I understood correctly the Biscotto Saputos a lot of users suggest would do the opposite, giving even less heat from the bottom. What am I getting wrong?
(I use 65% hydration dough if that matters)

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1511 on: October 12, 2022, 09:53:47 AM »
Just wait a couple of mins more before launching the pizza so the stone is at 420C 450C etc :)

Offline Mike-pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1512 on: October 18, 2022, 06:39:26 PM »
Hi guys

I had to disassemble my Napoli to check a problem, but I disconnected by mistake 2 wires...  ::)
As I don't know much about it, can someone confirm from my picture how it should be plugged ?
Thanks a lot, youll save a life 😅

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1513 on: October 18, 2022, 06:46:32 PM »
If you have two black and two white wires (as it looks) connect black to black and white to white.
I don't have the oven mind you, but that would be the normal way to connect them IMO.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> Pizza Party Emizione, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Mike-pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1514 on: October 18, 2022, 06:52:55 PM »
Thanks. #1 is blue, comes from the plug.
#2 is black, coming from one side of the bottom resistance.
#3 is white, coming from the upper side of the oven.

The 230v plug goes in the connector : I see the ground, the blue ( #1 disconnected) and the grey, connected to nothing I guess the thermofuse should at least meet the blue #1, or grey from the plug ?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 06:58:13 PM by Mike-pizza »

Offline lemongrab

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1515 on: November 06, 2022, 06:46:08 AM »
Just wait a couple of mins more before launching the pizza so the stone is at 420C 450C etc :)

That actually did the trick. My thermometer (that I still had lying around) only goes to ~400C so I wasn't able to check when the end temperature is reached.

Now I have a different problem: One of my heating elements has molten. Pressumably at the spot where the heating resistance begins, so it's likely due to too much resistance somewhere in the circuit or a manufacturing defect. Did anyone else encounter this problem? I already purchased a replacement, but I don't want this to happen again.

Offline cypress

« Reply #1516 on: November 06, 2022, 08:51:51 AM »

Now I have a different problem: One of my heating elements has molten. Pressumably at the spot where the heating resistance begins, so it's likely due to too much resistance somewhere in the circuit or manufacturing defect. Did anyone else encounter this problem? I already purchased a replacement, but I don't want this to happen again.

too much resistance in the wiring setup doesn't make much sense. it is probably either a manufacturing defect or it is getting the wrong voltage (too high).