A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Finally happy with my recipe  (Read 471 times)

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
Finally happy with my recipe
« on: May 21, 2021, 07:21:27 AM »
56%, all trumps bromated. 2% salt. 6% olive oil. 0.5% or so yeast. 7/11 tomatoís with a pinch of black pepper. Freshly grated pecorino on the sauce layer. Grande east coast blend. Pepperoni under the cheese because i donít like the crisp lol. 550į no broiler. Screen on top of steel.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
Re: Finally happy with my recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 08:50:27 AM »
Damn - that looks niiiiiiiice!   :drool:

You leave the pie on the screen the whole time, which sits on the steel?  Interesting.  It seems like you would not get good color that way, but the results speak for themselves.  Nicely done!
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 09:00:57 AM »
Damn - that looks niiiiiiiice!   :drool:

You leave the pie on the screen the whole time, which sits on the steel?  Interesting.  It seems like you would not get good color that way, but the results speak for themselves.  Nicely done!
Thanks!! Yes, pie stays on the screen the whole time. Too lazy to try and pull out the pie then remove the screen, place the screen somewhere and put the pie back in lol. Undercarriage is perfect.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 11:32:17 AM »
Undercarriage is perfect.

You can say that again!  That is about as attractive of a pie as I have seen.

How did you mix/knead the dough?  I tried a 55% hydration for a Tonda Romana the other day, and it was extremely stiff.  Admittedly, I did not use as much oil as you call for here, so maybe that helps.  As such, were you able to hand stretch?  My Tonda Romana definitely needed a rolling pin.

Thoughts on the East Coast blend?  Do you feel the flavor matches a good local slice shop in your neck of the woods?  I have only ever tried Grande WMLM in a block, but that is hard to get around here for a guy like me.  I do know where I can get pre-shredded Grande ECB and 50/50 blend - I already add some provolone to my Trader Joe's WMLM (2 parts WMLM to 1 part Provolone) and find that flavor to be very satisfying, so I think I would lean towards that.  However - with results like yours, I am open to trying the ECB if you give it the thumbs up.

How did you process the 7/11's?  I have never use a #10 can of anything, but IIRC the 7/11's are whole peeled in either juice or puree.  Drain the can / no drain?  Stick blender / food mill?  And you only added pepper, no salt needed?

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 11:42:49 AM »
Thanks!! Yes, pie stays on the screen the whole time. Too lazy to try and pull out the pie then remove the screen, place the screen somewhere and put the pie back in lol. Undercarriage is perfect.

Screen marks are barely visible too, damn! Which screen are you using?

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 12:08:49 PM »
Screen marks are barely visible too, damn! Which screen are you using?

Just a basic pizza screen from Amazon. I think the key is making sure you donít press the dough into the screen.

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 12:14:43 PM »
You can say that again!  That is about as attractive of a pie as I have seen.

How did you mix/knead the dough?  I tried a 55% hydration for a Tonda Romana the other day, and it was extremely stiff.  Admittedly, I did not use as much oil as you call for here, so maybe that helps.  As such, were you able to hand stretch?  My Tonda Romana definitely needed a rolling pin.

Thoughts on the East Coast blend?  Do you feel the flavor matches a good local slice shop in your neck of the woods?  I have only ever tried Grande WMLM in a block, but that is hard to get around here for a guy like me.  I do know where I can get pre-shredded Grande ECB and 50/50 blend - I already add some provolone to my Trader Joe's WMLM (2 parts WMLM to 1 part Provolone) and find that flavor to be very satisfying, so I think I would lean towards that.  However - with results like yours, I am open to trying the ECB if you give it the thumbs up.

How did you process the 7/11's?  I have never use a #10 can of anything, but IIRC the 7/11's are whole peeled in either juice or puree.  Drain the can / no drain?  Stick blender / food mill?  And you only added pepper, no salt needed?
I use a food processor for the dough and ball it straight from that. It isnít a problem at 56% and i even did one for tonightís upside down Sicilian thatís 53%.  Hand stretch in the air with my knuckles, no issue. Probably because bromated flour is more forgiving.

I love east coast blend. Taste is on par or better than the many nyc joints (we never order take out for pizza anymore). I donít personally like provolone so i canít speak to that.

7/11 tomatoís right from can to the dough. Sprinkle it with black pepper and occasionally some garlic powder. I think the cheese and salt already in the canned tomatoís is plenty.

Online 9slicePie

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 12:31:16 PM »
wow that crust looks perfect.

Do you think that's achievable with bread flour?

How long did you bake it for?  (And did you rotate the pie at any point during the bake?)
Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = He is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = I hope you're kidding.
Than vs. Then = If you score more points than the other team, then you will win the game.
Principal vs. Principle = The high school Principal is a man of principles.
Itís vs its = Itís beautiful in its own way.

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 12:36:26 PM »
wow that crust looks perfect.

Do you think that's achievable with bread flour?

How long did you bake it for?  (And did you rotate the pie at any point during the bake?)

I tried King Arthur bread flour alone, with diastatic malt powder, mixed it with semolina, tried honey. None of any of that got me browning. All trumps bromated immediately worked to get me the nyc crust without any tricks. I donít rotate usually. Bake for 8-10 min. I never time it. I eye it.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 12:37:21 PM »
7/11 tomatoís right from can to the dough. Sprinkle it with black pepper and occasionally some garlic powder. I think the cheese and salt already in the canned tomatoís is plenty.

Ah ok - 7/11's are already crushed?

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »
Ah ok - 7/11's are already crushed?
Yup

Offline wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 12:59:16 PM »
What led you to go so high on the oil%? Looks awesome!
Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself.

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 01:02:29 PM »
What led you to go so high on the oil%? Looks awesome!

Straight from General Mills. I just added a little more.

Offline pvura

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 09:08:39 PM »
56%, all trumps bromated. 2% salt. 6% olive oil. 0.5% or so yeast. 7/11 tomatoís with a pinch of black pepper. Freshly grated pecorino on the sauce layer. Grande east coast blend. Pepperoni under the cheese because i donít like the crisp lol. 550į no broiler. Screen on top of steel.

Looks beautiful! That crust is essentially what I try to achieve at home! Can we get some information about the temp. of the steel before you launch as well as the fermentation temperature / length, please?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 10:07:35 PM »
mathematics28,

Tom Lehmann often talked about the amount of oil to use, together with the water, in relation to the rated absorption value of the flour. More specifically, he often recommended that combined values of the percent of water and the percent of oil be equal to the rated absorption of the flour used. This was intended as a starting point, and he often stated that one might play with the two numbers to zero in on the the desired end results. A while back, I discussed this matter in greater detail in Reply 32 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=65222.msg645239;topicseen#msg645239

In your case, the rated absorption of the All Trumps flour is about 63%. And when you used a hydration value of 56% and oil at 6%, or a total of 62%, you came very close to what Tom proposed. Even closer than than the GM recipe you cited. Itís possible that the GM recipe is intended for commercial applications where there is a tendency to use lower hydration and oil values to make it easier for workers to manage the skins after opening up dough balls. This is especially important when worker turnover is on the high side. The lower numbers make it easier to train new workers.

Peter

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2021, 04:31:58 PM »
Welcome aboard, I'll echo everyone else's comments,  your pie looks great  :chef:

Any specific pizzerias inspire you? My favorite is in Queens...Lucia.

Matt

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2021, 04:42:01 PM »
Welcome aboard, I'll echo everyone else's comments,  your pie looks great  :chef:

Any specific pizzerias inspire you? My favorite is in Queens...Lucia.
Thank you! Iíve never been to Lucia. I do love Amore and a local spot by me called Glendale Pizza.