A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NY Style sauce discussion  (Read 61696 times)

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Re: NY Style sauce discussion
« Reply #460 on: November 15, 2018, 11:13:38 AM »
If you tried to use straight Saporito super-heavy, you'd need to apply it with a putty knife.   :-D

I've used it in combination with 7/11 and *that's* too thick to spread, you need to thin it down. It fills out the flavor profile differently than a fresh(er) product. Alta Cucina (stick blended) + 7/11, on the other hand, is spreadable as mixed.

If you're in a small space, a case of Saporito can make 2-3 cases of finished sauce, so for a small, high-volume shop there's a storage aspect too.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Wushuliu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #461 on: November 15, 2018, 01:00:57 PM »
Never thought about that, how about the use of anchovies in the sauce for a savory flavor style?

I am slowly honing in on a preferred sauce recipe for my NY-style pies and started adding fish sauce for the last couple of bakes. About a teaspoon or two of Thai Kitchen brand per strained 28oz can. No detectable fish taste and it gives a nice umami layer.

Since my focus is on nailing a great plain cheese recipe, I've found that more salt is needed than I typically see recommended. Salt and fat. After trying a couple different romanos I found the Locatelli brand and it definitely has the umami salt flavor of pizzas in my youth.

But the surprising star of my sauce trials so far has been the addition of ghee (clarified butter). About a teaspoon or two. It just pulls all the flavors together into a umami bomb. I imagine regular butter would work similarly. Makes sense though because of the combo of salt and fat, and more effectively to me than just oil.

Offline CIZ28

• Pizza Purist
« Reply #462 on: November 16, 2018, 04:00:19 AM »
If you tried to use straight Saporito super-heavy, you'd need to apply it with a putty knife.   :-D

I've used it in combination with 7/11 and *that's* too thick to spread, you need to thin it down. It fills out the flavor profile differently than a fresh(er) product. Alta Cucina (stick blended) + 7/11, on the other hand, is spreadable as mixed.

If you're in a small space, a case of Saporito can make 2-3 cases of finished sauce, so for a small, high-volume shop there's a storage aspect too.

Exactly and thatís how itís done in 8 out of 10 pizzerias. Heavy pizza sauce is thick tomato paste that has to have lots of water added to it, especially the super heavy. It is sweet and normally mixed with some actual crushed tomatoes. I can tell everyone that the sauce/tomatoes are unfortunately often an afterthought at most places and not where the money is spent. They usually focus more on the cheese and buy one good cheese to mix with a cheap cheese and good flour because you canít play around with the dough quality. The hard cheeses if used are also usually just some cheap supplier parmigiano or romano. Out of all the places Iíve worked and dumpster dove I can only think of a handful of that have used good quality tomatoes and hard cheese. Those are the most neglected ingredients. And the toppings if everything is canned and not fresh. Oh and oil. Oil that goes in dough in a typical place is always cheap soybean or canola oil. Anything that actually calls for oil on the pizza will usually be evoo or pure olive at least.
"If it's not well done, it ain't done well."

Offline NY_Mike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #463 on: November 16, 2018, 08:52:48 AM »
I am slowly honing in on a preferred sauce recipe for my NY-style pies and started adding fish sauce for the last couple of bakes. About a teaspoon or two of Thai Kitchen brand per strained 28oz can. No detectable fish taste and it gives a nice umami layer.

Since my focus is on nailing a great plain cheese recipe, I've found that more salt is needed than I typically see recommended. Salt and fat. After trying a couple different romanos I found the Locatelli brand and it definitely has the umami salt flavor of pizzas in my youth.

But the surprising star of my sauce trials so far has been the addition of ghee (clarified butter). About a teaspoon or two. It just pulls all the flavors together into a umami bomb. I imagine regular butter would work similarly. Makes sense though because of the combo of salt and fat, and more effectively to me than just oil.

I started using butter in my sauce last year and I have to agree, it really pulls the sauce together and brightens the flavor. It makes a pretty notable difference and I take it a step further, using both oil and butter (Half oil and Half butter).

Exactly and thatís how itís done in 8 out of 10 pizzerias. Heavy pizza sauce is thick tomato paste that has to have lots of water added to it, especially the super heavy. It is sweet and normally mixed with some actual crushed tomatoes. I can tell everyone that the sauce/tomatoes are unfortunately often an afterthought at most places and not where the money is spent. They usually focus more on the cheese and buy one good cheese to mix with a cheap cheese and good flour because you canít play around with the dough quality. The hard cheeses if used are also usually just some cheap supplier parmigiano or romano. Out of all the places Iíve worked and dumpster dove I can only think of a handful of that have used good quality tomatoes and hard cheese. Those are the most neglected ingredients. And the toppings if everything is canned and not fresh. Oh and oil. Oil that goes in dough in a typical place is always cheap soybean or canola oil. Anything that actually calls for oil on the pizza will usually be evoo or pure olive at least.

It makes sense, from basically almost every business perspective it saves on both cost and time to use those ingredients. I think the owner of Scarr's pizza said (paraphrasing): "I thought pizza was dead, the time had passed and the market was done, but then there was a bit of a renaissance that started in Brooklyn" and he goes on to talk about how quality ingredients are what people are looking for now.
The same can kind of be said for the suburbs out here on the Island, a lot of the generic pizza spots are long gone, there's a stress on quality and being different. No one gives a %$# about what pizza costs out here unless its something far and away out of the norm, so everyone gravitates towards quality pizza places.

Offline CIZ28

• Pizza Purist
« Reply #464 on: November 19, 2018, 10:57:44 AM »
I started using butter in my sauce last year and I have to agree, it really pulls the sauce together and brightens the flavor. It makes a pretty notable difference and I take it a step further, using both oil and butter (Half oil and Half butter).

It makes sense, from basically almost every business perspective it saves on both cost and time to use those ingredients. I think the owner of Scarr's pizza said (paraphrasing): "I thought pizza was dead, the time had passed and the market was done, but then there was a bit of a renaissance that started in Brooklyn" and he goes on to talk about how quality ingredients are what people are looking for now.
The same can kind of be said for the suburbs out here on the Island, a lot of the generic pizza spots are long gone, there's a stress on quality and being different. No one gives a %$# about what pizza costs out here unless its something far and away out of the norm, so everyone gravitates towards quality pizza places.

Exactly, and Iím so glad itís been going that way in the last decade or so. Those are the places Iíll give my money to on days off every so often. If I actually feel like being around pizza more and not making my own  lol.
"If it's not well done, it ain't done well."

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #465 on: November 19, 2018, 01:38:13 PM »

I make a darker, caramelish ghee, like the commercial says, "I put that shtt on everything"!!! God forgive me, I use it before bacon grease or lard most of the time!!! And I agree, great on pizza!!! I've done kind of a fried crust on foil with ghee on the bottom.....decadent!
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #466 on: November 19, 2018, 07:30:39 PM »

I like where you're headed. Sauce should have flavor in my view. Fish sauce + romano + ghee  :chef:

What are your preferred herbs? And sugar?

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #467 on: November 19, 2018, 09:44:10 PM »
What are peoples thoughts on mixing crushed with paste? I'm thinking of trying 50% strained crushed with 50% diluted paste.
Matt

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #468 on: November 19, 2018, 10:02:19 PM »
What are peoples thoughts on mixing crushed with paste? I'm thinking of trying 50% strained crushed with 50% diluted paste.
I tried it and didn't like it, the paste muddled the flavor. However this was straight paste, I didn't glob it in either, maybe 2 dallops. Go ahead and try because your experience may differ.
It would work quite well in a stromboli where the extra viscosity is needed.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #469 on: November 19, 2018, 10:06:10 PM »
...the paste muddled the flavor...

Yeah, I am concerned it'll be overpowering and that perhaps its all or nothing instead of mixing the 2. But I'm hoping that with the right ratio and thinness it'll just give the crushed tomato some extra oomph.
Matt

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #470 on: November 19, 2018, 10:09:35 PM »
Yeah, I am concerned it'll be overpowering and that perhaps its all or nothing instead of mixing the 2. But I'm hoping that with the right ratio and thinness it'll just give the crushed tomato some extra oomph.

Iíve been using a 75/25 ratio of crushed to paste. Thickens the the sauce nicely without adding water. I think it adds a tad bit of umami without overpowering the freshness of the crushed. Works for me anyway....

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #471 on: November 19, 2018, 10:35:55 PM »
I've used it in combination with 7/11 and *that's* too thick to spread, you need to thin it down.

What was your ratio?
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #472 on: November 20, 2018, 12:55:09 AM »
What was your ratio?

I was using one can of 7/11 mixed with 1/3 can Saporito super heavy sauce w/basil (and freezing 2 x 1/3 can for later batches).

I'd pre-thin the Saporito to roughly 7/11 consistency, add my pepper & garlic (and Worcestershire, when I remembered  :-D), pour the 7/11 on top and hit it with the stick blender to smooth it out, adding more water as needed.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:26:11 AM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Wushuliu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #473 on: November 20, 2018, 12:57:42 AM »
I like where you're headed. Sauce should have flavor in my view. Fish sauce + romano + ghee  :chef:

What are your preferred herbs? And sugar?

With the current recipe the only herbs are oregano and dwarf(?, the small pungent kind) basil. I add a tsp of sugar, cause it tastes good and to approximate sugar content of popular sauces like 7/11 etc. The Bianco DiNapoli I use has lower sugar content. However I'd prefer low sugar intake so will try out reducing or removing altogether.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:00:02 AM by Wushuliu »

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #474 on: November 20, 2018, 09:13:46 PM »
24 pages of cramps and anxiety attacks when the answer is so simple.
Have a Dangerous day!

ďThey say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.Ē  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Josh123

« Reply #475 on: November 20, 2018, 10:36:06 PM »

Doooo it. For your style of pizza it will work great.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #476 on: November 21, 2018, 12:08:04 AM »
I was using one can of 7/11 mixed with 1/3 can Saporito super heavy sauce w/basil (and freezing 2 x 1/3 can for later batches).

I'd pre-thin the Saporito to roughly 7/11 consistency, add my pepper & garlic (and Worcestershire, when I remembered  :-D), pour the 7/11 on top and hit it with the stick blender to smooth it out, adding more water as needed.

Thanks, Steve,

I use 3 #10 cans of 7/11, one #10 can of Saporito and a #10 of hand-crushed Alta Cucina. I don't see the need to pre-thin the Saporito since the others will lose enough liquid to do so.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #477 on: November 21, 2018, 01:14:12 AM »
Thanks, Steve,

I use 3 #10 cans of 7/11, one #10 can of Saporito and a #10 of hand-crushed Alta Cucina. I don't see the need to pre-thin the Saporito since the others will lose enough liquid to do so.

I wish I made enough pizza to do that.  That's my dream blend.
John

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #478 on: November 21, 2018, 01:52:42 PM »

I wish I made enough pizza to do that.  That's my dream blend.

It's a lot of sauce, but it freezes very well in those containers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2TADOY/?tag=pmak-20

However, I use that sauce also as a base for pasta sauces, meatball sandwiches, chicken parmigiana, lasagna and in soups and stews. It's pretty versatile. 
Mike

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #479 on: November 30, 2018, 06:17:40 PM »
Bleecker Street. Screenshot of the sauce and a video. The sauce actually looks like a thicker version of mine. I also really like the melt on the cheese slice.

Matt