A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NY Style sauce discussion  (Read 62232 times)

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
Re: NY Style sauce discussion
« Reply #480 on: November 30, 2018, 07:55:57 PM »
After reading threads and threads about NYC pizza sauce I focused on the best tomatoe I could find and thats 7/11. I don’t heat it. It  goes right on the pie room temp. So good. If that’s one thing I learned from this forum that would be it.

What I got from so many posts here is “...save the spices for your spaghetti sauce..”.

I make a good thick spicy sauce for my Detroit pizza. NYC ..straight 7/11.

Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #481 on: November 30, 2018, 08:09:28 PM »
I use 7/11 too. But love my sauce well seasoned with oregano and basil. To each his own, but just want to remind again that the out-of-the-can-plus-salt method isnt the only one. And that many pizzerias here dont do that. Clearly from the video above, Bleecker doesnt. What was really eye opening for me was the first time I bought sauce from one of my local pizzerias. I was shocked by how many different seasonings they had in it.
Matt

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #482 on: November 30, 2018, 08:12:56 PM »
I use 7/11 too. But love my sauce well seasoned with oregano and basil. To each his own, but just want to remind again that the out-of-the-can-plus-salt method isnt the only one. And that many pizzerias here dont do that. Clearly from the video above, Bleecker doesnt. What was really eye opening for me was the first time I bought sauce from one of my local pizzerias. I was shocked by how many different seasonings they had in it.

I dunno that whole Bleeker St thing seems like a lot of hype to me. Lucali, Frank Pepe’s are legit imho. I need to see what Totonno’s is all about.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:05:21 AM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #483 on: November 30, 2018, 08:16:49 PM »
I dunno that whole Bleeker St thing seems like a lot of hype to me. Lucali, Frank Pepe’s are legit imho. I need to see what Torino’s is all about.

There are many different sub-styles within NY style. I dont view any as more legit or better than the others. But I personally have a passion for the street slice. Lucali may well be great, I haven't been there, but no place has more hype than they do.

Matt

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #484 on: November 30, 2018, 08:29:00 PM »
There are many different sub-styles within NY style. I dont view any as more legit or better than the others. But I personally have a passion for the street slice. Lucali may well be great, I haven't been there, but no place has more hype than they do.

This is a legit street slice.

https://www.2brospizza.com
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #485 on: November 30, 2018, 08:33:29 PM »
 ;D

Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #486 on: December 01, 2018, 02:33:43 AM »
Bleecker Street. Screenshot of the sauce and a video. The sauce actually looks like a thicker version of mine. I also really like the melt on the cheese slice.

All of those slices look awesome.

Great sauce pic!
the proof is in the pizza

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #487 on: December 01, 2018, 02:46:56 AM »
After reading threads and threads about NYC pizza sauce I focused on the best tomatoe I could find and thats 7/11. I don’t heat it. It  goes right on the pie room temp. So good. If that’s one thing I learned from this forum that would be it.

What I got from so many posts here is “...save the spices for your spaghetti sauce..”.

I make a good thick spicy sauce for my Detroit pizza. NYC ..straight 7/11.

I feel like if fresh tomato flavor is really the goal, a deck oven bake can never compare to Neapolitan. That 60-90 second bake tastes much fresher to me.

the proof is in the pizza

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #488 on: December 01, 2018, 08:06:22 AM »
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline Josh123

« Reply #489 on: December 03, 2018, 09:42:21 PM »

MOST places dont do that.

Offline Josh123

« Reply #490 on: December 03, 2018, 09:44:43 PM »
I dunno that whole Bleeker St thing seems like a lot of hype to me. Lucali, Frank Pepe’s are legit imho. I need to see what Totonno’s is all about.

If youre referring to John's, its literally one of America's oldest pizzerias. Hype should never be a word used for it.

Frank Pepe's is in Connecticut lol

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #491 on: December 03, 2018, 09:45:17 PM »
You mean most dont do simple tomato and salt?
Matt

Offline Josh123

« Reply #492 on: December 03, 2018, 09:51:09 PM »
You mean most dont do simple tomato and salt?

Yep. Most add oregano, black pepper, etc

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #493 on: December 03, 2018, 09:52:08 PM »
If youre referring to John's, its literally one of America's oldest pizzerias. Hype should never be a word used for it.

Frank Pepe's is in Connecticut lol

Old doesn’t mean good.

Denino’s 1937 - Didnt like it
L&B Sapmoni Gardens 1939 - Not so good

Both hyp’d as great.

Thanks for the geography lesson.
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #494 on: December 03, 2018, 09:56:19 PM »

For sure
Matt

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #495 on: December 03, 2018, 10:15:00 PM »
I always thought Oregano was essential to sauce, I know many NY pizzerias use very complex well seasoned sauces. The minimalist sauces never grew on me.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #496 on: December 03, 2018, 10:57:59 PM »
I always thought Oregano was essential to sauce, I know many NY pizzerias use very complex well seasoned sauces. The minimalist sauces never grew on me.

For me personally, I like the simple, fresh flavor...tomatoes, sea salt and a splash of good olive oil. That's it.

Oregano and hard cheese goes on post-bake.

Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline rtt121

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #497 on: December 04, 2018, 09:10:32 AM »
Has anyone else tried this in their sauce? (photo attached). My wife brought it home last year I added a tsp to a 28oz can and had to throw it away (it is Potent! ). Now I have been using 1 drop per 28oz can and I have been enjoying the results.

Seems to have brought consistency to my oregano flavor within the sauce.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #498 on: December 04, 2018, 09:33:15 AM »
I'm usually not a fan of most concentrated extracted stuff. Some are okay but I find most have offputting tastes, chemical kind of thingy
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #499 on: December 04, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »
Has anyone else tried this in their sauce? (photo attached). My wife brought it home last year I added a tsp to a 28oz can and had to throw it away (it is Potent! ). Now I have been using 1 drop per 28oz can and I have been enjoying the results.

Seems to have brought consistency to my oregano flavor within the sauce.

rtt121,

It is interesting that you were able to use the oregano oil for your sauce since oregano oil is usually treated as a nutritional supplement. See, for example:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/9-oregano-oil-benefits-and-uses#section11

Oregano oil can also be quite expensive but it should last a long time if used only by the drop.

Peter