A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NY Style sauce discussion  (Read 61733 times)

Offline Josh123

Re: NY Style sauce discussion
« Reply #500 on: December 04, 2018, 09:57:42 AM »
Old doesn’t mean good.

Denino’s 1937 - Didnt like it
L&B Sapmoni Gardens 1939 - Not so good

Both hyp’d as great.

Thanks for the geography lesson.

Sure it does lol. How else would they be open almost 100 years on "hype"

Offline rtt121

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #501 on: December 04, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
rtt121,

It is interesting that you were able to use the oregano oil for your sauce since oregano oil is usually treated as a nutritional supplement. See, for example:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/9-oregano-oil-benefits-and-uses#section11

Oregano oil can also be quite expensive but it should last a long time if used only by the drop.

Peter
I always wondered why it said dietary supplement. I never did any research.

It doesn't have a chemical flavor to me, just intense oregano.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #502 on: December 04, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »

There is obvious miscommunication occurring here. Our definitions of hype don't appear to be the same

Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #503 on: December 04, 2018, 10:19:41 AM »
I always wondered why it said dietary supplement. I never did any research.

It doesn't have a chemical flavor to me, just intense oregano.

If I run across some I'll check it out. A nurse friend I used to work with was always shaking frankincense oil on her tongue, she smelled like a catholic church service all the time :-D I tried it once and burped it the rest of my shift, loved the smell of it though! :P
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #504 on: December 06, 2018, 11:44:27 PM »

Tradition and nostalgia factor in.
John

Offline Josh123

« Reply #505 on: December 07, 2018, 12:37:19 PM »
Tradition and nostalgia factor in.

How did they get those?

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #506 on: December 07, 2018, 02:47:22 PM »
How did they get those?

I'm not referring to Denino's or L&B, I've been to neither.  When a place becomes an institution, quality can slide and they can ride the history.  Longevity doesn't guarantee current quality.
John

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #507 on: December 16, 2018, 10:42:16 PM »
Bleecker Street. Screenshot of the sauce and a video. The sauce actually looks like a thicker version of mine. I also really like the melt on the cheese slice.

Apparently they don't use any canned sauce but I'd take that statement with a grain of salt.

Fun starts at 1:40. At 2:13 you get to see a somewhat side view of the crust. Crust has tiny air pockets all the way through the tip.

Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #508 on: December 17, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »
Apparently they don't use any canned sauce but I'd take that statement with a grain of salt.

Yeah, it seems to be common now to make claims like this. (Lucali and Scarrs have made similar comments.)

My guess is that people feel comfortable stating that their "sauce" doesn't come from a can, even if the tomatoes in their sauce do.

... Crust has tiny air pockets all the way through the tip.

Deja vu? Not sure how this is relevant for a discussion on sauce, but we discussed Bleecker's crumb previously.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=52968.msg543473#msg543473

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:42:39 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline Josh123

« Reply #509 on: December 17, 2018, 12:42:28 PM »
Scarr's uses Di Napoli organic tomatoes...out of a can.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #510 on: December 17, 2018, 06:12:29 PM »
Scarr's uses Di Napoli organic tomatoes...out of a can.

Here's the video I was thinking of. The audio is somewhat spliced together but:

nothing is canned except for my olive oil

we buy sauce that doesnt come in cans. It's strained tomatoes...passata

Starts 52 seconds into the video

Matt

Offline Josh123

« Reply #511 on: December 17, 2018, 07:42:50 PM »
I spoke to the owner of Di Napoli on the phone last week...so unless they are sending him tomatoes in a bag, he is using it out of a can lol

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #512 on: December 17, 2018, 09:11:41 PM »
Scarr will occasionally change ingredients. At the time, he was using a chopped tomato that wasn’t coming from a can. I don’t know what he uses right now. Either way, doesn’t matter - the sauce is very herb heavy. If you like seasoned sauce, you’ll love Scarr’s

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #513 on: December 17, 2018, 09:47:26 PM »
.... If you like seasoned sauce, you’ll love Scarr’s

Sounds like a place for me and I should bump it up my to-do list  :)

Screenshot below from the Bon Appetit 23 pizzerias video. A bunch of full basil leaves in the sauce, and a heavy-handed sprinkling of oregano on top of the sauce.

Any idea what type of hard cheese they use? In one video he said 2 types of hard cheese.

Matt

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #514 on: December 17, 2018, 11:42:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure its a mix of parm and pecorino, but don't quote me. That being said, I prefer a slice from Joe's but lot's of people love Scarr's because of the seasoning. Also, he's incorporating fresh milled flour.

Offline Makisupapoliceman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #515 on: December 20, 2018, 05:34:47 PM »
Ive been loving 7/11 lately and have been trying to find the perfect blend with it. I want to try Bonta and 7/11/ 7/11 have such nice bright flavor and color. but I have never used Bonta. Do you think suprema uses 50/50 Bonta and saporito, one can each? since the Bonta is a puree do you think they add water to it too or does the blended saporito give it the viscosity it has? my favorite pizza place out of NYC, which is just north in Putnam county uses a mix of saporito and 7/11 which  is going to be my next experiment. them and pizza suprema easily have the 2 most tasty sauces ive ever tried. I am doing my best to kinda of replicate them but its tough because I get the 7 pound cans and when you mix the 2 you have 14 pounds of sauce you need to use up before experimenting again haha. so I figured why not come here to get some more advice on the ratios. thanks in advance

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #516 on: December 20, 2018, 06:28:44 PM »
...Do you think suprema uses 50/50 Bonta and saporito, one can each?

I don't know, but I'm interested to see what people think as I'm a fan of Suprema too.

2 things I'll say:
If you want to replicate Suprema's flavor make sure to use a heavy amount of romano

I open #10 cans, portion and freeze them individually. So I have 7/11 and bonta frozen separately in small batches. This enables me to alter the mix from one bake to the next. (Though currently I'm just using strained 7/11.)

Matt

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #517 on: December 20, 2018, 06:30:01 PM »
Ive been loving 7/11 lately and have been trying to find the perfect blend with it. I want to try Bonta and 7/11/ 7/11 have such nice bright flavor and color. but I have never used Bonta. Do you think suprema uses 50/50 Bonta and saporito, one can each? since the Bonta is a puree do you think they add water to it too or does the blended saporito give it the viscosity it has? my favorite pizza place out of NYC, which is just north in Putnam county uses a mix of saporito and 7/11 which  is going to be my next experiment. them and pizza suprema easily have the 2 most tasty sauces ive ever tried. I am doing my best to kinda of replicate them but its tough because I get the 7 pound cans and when you mix the 2 you have 14 pounds of sauce you need to use up before experimenting again haha. so I figured why not come here to get some more advice on the ratios. thanks in advance

Yeah that's the problem with the big cans ... Sure I'd love to mess around with blends of different #10 cans of tomatoes, but it gets a little silly with the amount of sauce produced - even with being able to use it for other things.
Jeff

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #518 on: December 21, 2018, 12:39:13 AM »
Yeah that's the problem with the big cans ... Sure I'd love to mess around with blends of different #10 cans of tomatoes, but it gets a little silly with the amount of sauce produced - even with being able to use it for other things.

All of those freeze very well, with minimal loss of flavor.
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #519 on: December 21, 2018, 01:03:51 AM »
I got a peek in Suprema's store room and saw nothing but cases of Saporito.  Someone posted a picture of a delivery truck unloading a few years back and iirc it was Bonta and Saporito.  Was that Suprema?

Answered my own question.  I'll never change.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:17:23 AM by jkb »
John