A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 95497 times)

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1800 on: June 16, 2021, 09:28:30 PM »
I messed around with cooking sauce.  Anchovie paste, crushed red pepper, oregano, olive oil, tomato paste, maybe garlic sauteed as a foundation to add to canned tomatoes.  This was mostly for squares.  I landed on adding Saporito thinned with water to 7/11 for a sweeter sauce for slice pies.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 10:18:01 PM by jkb »
John

Offline wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
« Reply #1801 on: June 17, 2021, 04:30:35 PM »
Definitely team Thin Sauce for me, Iím a convert. Iíve been adding extra oil and keeping more pulp out of my Tomato Magic recently to thin it a bit until I get some more Alta Cucina here. My RD has been out of AC on my last 3 visits.

But it occurs to me that it was Tomato Magic I was doing that slow cook with, and then I was milling the heated sauce. So what I was cooking was crushed tomatoes, breaking the tomato chunks down a bit with gentle heat, and then that was passing through a food mill while hot. The sauce was started with garlic and onions and had a bunch of whole basil in it while it heated up, and I think I remember the basil stems being most of what was leftover in the mill after the sauce was processed. Then I started mixing that with uncooked Tomato Magic as well, and thatís still my favorite sauce Iíve made so far.

So anyway, the water that was captured in the pot was already in the sauce/tomatoes themselves, and I just didnít lose much or any of it during the cooking. Iím sure you could also just add water to thin yours back out, just like thinning out a paste to your desired consistency. As long as you got to where you wanted, it wouldnít matter how you got there.

I remember Harry posting that the ďcookĒ on these sauces in his favorite places were described as being quick, 30-40 minutes at a light simmer. I wonder if thatís kind of like what Iím describing. I can 100% imagine adding parm to that process.

I think Iíd almost  rank thinness as a higher priority than a seasoning profile for the impact on overall sauce flavor as it contributes to overall slice flavor. Maybe thatís too far, but maybe not! My eyes were really opened on the importance of the water to tomato ratio in how the cheese melts.
Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #1802 on: June 17, 2021, 04:41:11 PM »
My eyes were really opened on the importance of the water to tomato ratio in how the cheese melts.

Could you elaborate on that?
Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = He is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = I hope you're kidding.
Than vs. Then = If you score more points than the other team, then you will win the game.
Principal vs. Principle = The high school Principal is a man of principles.
Itís vs its = Itís beautiful in its own way.

Offline wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
« Reply #1803 on: June 17, 2021, 05:10:58 PM »
Thereís been a lot of discussion here about the impact a thinner tomato sauce makes. This is a great thread to check out if youíve never seen it before:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=46482.0

When I finally started paying attention to it myself, I found a lot of truth to it.
Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T