A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 96077 times)

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1280 on: October 19, 2019, 09:45:43 AM »

As in not my preference because of jaw sore? Not really following what makes you say that from my post?

I have never been to New York so I could have a different idea on New York style?

I do know I prefer high-gluten flour pepperoni whole milk shredded mozzarella a flutter rim I do like a little bit more thickness probably around a thickness factor of .105
Definitely like the old coal style germaldies and things like that at a higher temperature.

Exactly.  Eat what you like, but test your boundaries.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 10:33:27 AM by jkb »
John

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #1281 on: October 19, 2019, 03:06:57 PM »
Is true NY have alot of chew? Kind of jaw sore?
Someday I will be able to go to New York and try real authentic New York style as of now I live in California you know they say New York I don't know if it's really accurate?

I do use high-gluten flour but I are on the less mixing then more and it's pretty tender to the tooth.

I wish where I live in California they would take pizza more serious like NY or Italy
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 03:09:03 PM by Irishboy »
Josh

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1282 on: October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 PM »
Someday I will be able to go to New York and try real authentic New York style as of now I live in California you know they say New York I don't know if it's really accurate?

I do use high-gluten flour but I are on the less mixing then more and it's pretty tender to the tooth.

I wish where I live in California they would take pizza more serious like NY or Italy

It can have a bit of tug, but not always.
John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1283 on: October 19, 2019, 04:23:48 PM »

I'd say some chew, but not an extraordinary amount. Less than a proper NY bagel, and no sore jaws.

Matt

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #1284 on: October 19, 2019, 06:33:46 PM »
Thanks guys for clearing that up for me.

Back to the dough balls I'm going to do a few different tests tonight to see different results with thin spots. I have a couple of ideas brewing in my head I will report back if anything positive with a few side-by-side test that will run tomorrow. I also want to figure out this plague that has been bugging me for a long time
Josh

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1285 on: October 19, 2019, 10:00:11 PM »
... I canít help but think that using a smaller quantity of oil +maybe a helpful light dusting of flour somewhere in the process might get you away from those thin spots being so persistent. And getting your dough ball closed/equalized all the way around is definitely another key. CB is exactly right about balling a strong flour dough being like a second kneading. And his point about forearms is the real deal. It should take serious finger and forearm action to seal a tough dough ball. The tougher the dough, the more itís going to resist being incorporated back into itself. And itís that reincorporation and homogeneity that gives you the best possible chance to open a ball evenly apart from itself once itís risen.

I have 2 dough balls in the fridge. Will open both in flour only, no oil. One will be rolling pin again.

Here's what the underside looked like on one of them immediately after trying to seal it. Looks bad to me, though I dont know what it should look like. How bad is it?

Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1286 on: October 20, 2019, 02:18:23 AM »
I have 2 dough balls in the fridge. Will open both in flour only, no oil. One will be rolling pin again.

Here's what the underside looked like on one of them immediately after trying to seal it. Looks bad to me, though I dont know what it should look like. How bad is it?

Yeah, it's bad. :-D.  You have to pinch deep to seal the gap entirely.  Any flap you make will relax.  I give it a good roll with my palm in a bowl to smooth things out.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:23:00 AM by jkb »
John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1287 on: October 20, 2019, 07:07:37 AM »
Yeah, it's bad. :-D.  You have to pinch deep to seal the gap entirely.  Any flap you make will relax.  I give it a good roll with my palm in a bowl to smooth things out.

Damn, for some reason I didn't take a video of it. I did loads of big pinches and rolled it around a plate, like I saw on Norma's video. I'm tempted to make more dough now and record it...this has to be fixable.

Edit: I'm going to make some dough right now and make a video...if nothing else, my kids will be happy they each get to make pizza today

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:49:26 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1288 on: October 20, 2019, 09:31:02 AM »
Ok, here I am this morning balling a dough. At the end you'll see several shots of the underside - when the light hits it right you'll see all the seams. (Ignore random youtube music.)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 09:34:08 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1289 on: October 20, 2019, 09:47:11 AM »
You make the best looking NY pies on the forum, so I wouldn't fret.   My cheat day this week will be a roast beef sub.  Next time I make dough, I'll make a video of the balling.
John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1290 on: October 20, 2019, 11:05:20 AM »
You make the best looking NY pies on the forum, so I wouldn't fret.   My cheat day this week will be a roast beef sub.  Next time I make dough, I'll make a video of the balling.

Thanks! I wouldn't say I'm concerned...I'm excited as it's a major thing holding my pizza back and it should be solvable (with everyone's help).

Matt

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #1291 on: October 20, 2019, 01:56:56 PM »
I agree

Josh

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #1292 on: October 20, 2019, 02:01:28 PM »
One thing I noticed that has helped seal the bottom better than anything for me I was kind of putting my hands at an angle kind of like I'm karate chopping the bottom of the dough ball while it's on the table and pinch close then rotate and keep doing that I also noticed that it gives me a nice tight ball because each time it is pulling in the sides.

Here is a video of an idea of what I'm talking about but I am definitely more aggressive applying more pressure to the bottom of the dough it seems to work really well

One thing I'm experimenting with right now is a smaller container my reason of thought is the once the Bal expands the pressure will keep everything sealed up and make sure there's no weak spots?

On a different note I hope someday I could just get the cheese melt that you always get absolutely the best on the form

Josh

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1293 on: October 20, 2019, 03:05:58 PM »
On a different note I hope someday I could just get the cheese melt that you always get absolutely the best on the form

Thanks! The keys to get my melt are:

- very thin sauce
- alot of sauce (>3/4 cup for 14")
- a good amount of cheese (9oz for 14")
- low temp long bake (500* stone, ~8 minutes)

It's a pretty simple combination, but took me a couple years to get here.

Matt

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #1294 on: October 20, 2019, 03:13:38 PM »

Thanks! The keys to get my melt are:

- very thin sauce
- alot of sauce (>3/4 cup for 14")
- a good amount of cheese (9oz for 14")
- low temp long bake (500* stone, ~8 minutes)

It's a pretty simple combination, but took me a couple years to get here.

The only problem I'm really having is since it's warm over here I am not using my indoor house oven I am using a outdoor propane oven that hits above the 700f range the higher heat seems to cause another issue with overcooked cheese.

I'm not sure if adding oil on top would actually help solve the issue or make it worse and Fry the cheese? Putting the sauce on top like New York coal style helps but I haven't found a solution yet.

One thing that I learn from you is that the sauce is the key to great pizza, for years I put all efforts into the dough but that sauce is what really made things pop, I'm just beginning to dial this in but it's made a big difference, I actually really like the addition of ground fennel in the sauce and Mexican oregano

I need to keep doing some more research on your sauce it's hard to keep up

This is what I got so far let me know what you think please

[ ] 1 can of 7\11 tomatoes
[ ] 35g of oil
[ ] 25g salt
[ ] 1.2g oregano
[ ] 1\2 tsp ground fennel or 1.2g whole
[ ] 1 tsp garlic powder or 4 cloves
[ ] Half a can of tomato paste

50g of sugar ** try 25g of sugar

Pressure cook sauce for 10min medium pressure
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:23:12 PM by Irishboy »
Josh

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1295 on: October 20, 2019, 03:22:50 PM »

The only problem I'm really having is since it's warm over here I am not using my indoor house oven I am using a outdoor propane oven that hits above the 700f range the higher heat seems to cause another issue with overcooked cheese.

I'm not sure if adding oil on top would actually help solve the issue or make it worse and Fry the cheese? Putting the sauce on top like New York coal style helps but I haven't found a solution yet.

Gotta play with the oven. I actually started down the low temp route while using a Blackstone! (I would turn the regulator down several rotations and set the flame to low.)

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1296 on: October 20, 2019, 03:28:43 PM »

One thing that I learn from you is that the sauce is the key to great pizza, for years I put all efforts into the dough but that sauce is what really made things pop, I'm just beginning to dial this in but it's made a big difference, I actually really like the addition of ground fennel in the sauce and Mexican oregano

I need to keep doing some more research on your sauce it's hard to keep up

This is what I got so far let me know what you think please

[ ] 1 can of 7\11 tomatoes
[ ] 35g of oil
[ ] 25g salt
[ ] 1.2g oregano
[ ] 1\2 tsp ground fennel or 1.2g whole
[ ] 1 tsp garlic powder or 4 cloves
[ ] Half a can of tomato paste

50g of sugar ** try 25g of sugar

Pressure cook sauce for 10min medium pressure

After all my experiments, the past few weeks I've been trying a simpler sauce  :-D

I have no idea what oregano weighs, but I put at least 1/2 tsp in 1.25 cups of tomato. I also like fresh basil. Every spoonful should see alot of oregano in it. Also, the thinness I mentioned earlier not only impacts melt, but the overall flavor. I liked the 7/11 strained.

Matt

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1297 on: October 20, 2019, 04:34:58 PM »
Josh, I canít get your video to load. Does it seem to be working where you are?
-Tony

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #1298 on: October 20, 2019, 04:48:03 PM »
After all my experiments, the past few weeks I've been trying a simpler sauce  :-D

I have no idea what oregano weighs, but I put at least 1/2 tsp in 1.25 cups of tomato. I also like fresh basil. Every spoonful should see alot of oregano in it. Also, the thinness I mentioned earlier not only impacts melt, but the overall flavor. I liked the 7/11 strained.

How do you thin it more do you just add water?

I know it's hard to tell from pictures but what do you think about the thinness of my sauce?

I hope you don't mind the questions on your thread?

Quote from: foreplease l
topic=51924.msg598013#msg598013 date=1571603698
Josh, I canít get your video to load. Does it seem to be working where you are?

No problems here
Josh

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1299 on: October 20, 2019, 05:14:22 PM »
Josh, no water added. I either use:
- crushed pushed through a strainer
- whole put in blender then through strainer
- whole put through mill fine plate (this is my current go to)

They all end up with a sauce that's like water. And I'm currently adding some EVOO too.

Below is a video of a sauce I bought from a pizzeria in Queens. Mine looks similar. Yours looks much,  much thicker. Happy to answer questions here.

Tony, Josh's link works for me.

Matt

wordpress