A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 95335 times)

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1740 on: January 01, 2021, 05:17:21 PM »
Thanks!

I really should bake a pie without the screen to see the difference, but I strongly suspect that my melt does not need the screen. Lately I've been using the screen for only half the bake. I think the screen may actually do the opposite and slow the cheese from breaking down and oiling off, but I actually seek the oil intentionally.

Oh I just want one of those mesh screens in general so badly, not related to my melt jealousy ;)

No one ever found a source for them besides asking at a pizza spot right?

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1741 on: January 01, 2021, 07:25:17 PM »
Oh I just want one of those mesh screens in general so badly, not related to my melt jealousy ;)

No one ever found a source for them besides asking at a pizza spot right?

I did...a pizzeria manager connected me with the maker. It's just a guy that makes them and supplies the pizzerias. On the mesh screen thread you can see the new ones I got.

I hope to connect with him again when things open up. Let me know what you're interested in and I'll do my best.

But I will say, there's nothing magical about these screens. I like them better than normal screens, but the biggest advantage for pizzerias using them them may be that it allows them to pre-prep the pizzas and wait until its busy to pop them in the oven.

Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1742 on: January 01, 2021, 08:22:02 PM »
https://www.mcmaster.com/mesh-screens/stainless-steel-wire-cloth-9/

This where the screening material came from when I worked in solid dose pharmaceutical manufacturing.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 08:24:51 PM by jkb »
John

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #1743 on: January 01, 2021, 08:46:41 PM »
Cool screens!  You could use a higher hydration dough with those screens, very cool.    I can only use my normal ones with hydration in the mid 60's or I run the risk of the pizza getting stuck in the screen.

Yes, commercial (and non commercial) poly-o is too soupy for me to use in my commercial ovens at work, but my slowest pizzas are about 3.5 minutes.   It tends to work best for longer bake times, or really dry coal ovens.  It is very inconsistent in flavor, and some batches taste much better than grande with a wonderful buttery note, and other batches not as good with a more sour flavor and no butter.

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #1744 on: January 01, 2021, 08:56:37 PM »
I did...a pizzeria manager connected me with the maker. It's just a guy that makes them and supplies the pizzerias. On the mesh screen thread you can see the new ones I got.

I hope to connect with him again when things open up. Let me know what you're interested in and I'll do my best.

But I will say, there's nothing magical about these screens. I like them better than normal screens, but the biggest advantage for pizzerias using them them may be that it allows them to pre-prep the pizzas and wait until its busy to pop them in the oven.

Just looking for one sized to bake 16” pies on! Really just want one to replace the regular 16” screen I use now which I use to begin with because launching a 16” pie onto a round 16” steel straight off the peel is very risky for me as my oven is against a wall so I can’t maneuver as well. So I start them on a screen then transfer direct to steel once they’re set. The super fine mesh you use wouldn’t leave that bigger screen imprint.

If you can help that’d be incredible. Just let me know. 

Offline JWFPIZZZA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1745 on: January 01, 2021, 08:58:52 PM »
Scott, you using screens in your new oven/place?

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #1746 on: January 03, 2021, 01:03:29 PM »
matt, i had the same reaction to 7-11 so last bake I pushed it through our mesh strainer as i would sclafani crushed. It was great!
jeff

Offline novawaly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1747 on: January 03, 2021, 02:19:45 PM »
Definitely.  Give Galbani from the grocery store a shot. Or, if you are interested/willing to spend $9/lb, Boars Head (behind the deli counter) is quite good.

Edit: posting a few pics of one of my (2) attempts with foodservice Polly-O.

very interesting thoughts here. I just picked up the same polly o and used 12 ounces of cheese on a 17 in pie and thought it was way to soupy. Figured it was just too much cheese. I used to get grande before but had to go around to pizza places to see if they'd sell me some.

I saw you said you like the whole milk grande. you prefer that to the east coast blend or just b/c that's whats available?

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1748 on: January 03, 2021, 02:53:25 PM »

That's why I never jumped on the sous vide bandwagon.  It isn't of any use other than to get food on the table in a timely manner.  I'd argue a screen may produce a better crust in a home setting if your oven isn't optimal. 
John

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1749 on: January 03, 2021, 04:54:23 PM »

That's why I never jumped on the sous vide bandwagon.  It isn't of any use other than to get food on the table in a timely manner.  I'd argue a screen may produce a better crust in a home setting if your oven isn't optimal.

not to derail matt's thread, but I haven't been able to achieve edge-to-edge consistency for steak with any other method. Additionally, it breaks-down collagen (think chuck roast) over a 2-3 day time period with absolutely no human intervention.
jeff

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1750 on: January 03, 2021, 05:22:25 PM »
very interesting thoughts here. I just picked up the same polly o and used 12 ounces of cheese on a 17 in pie and thought it was way to soupy. Figured it was just too much cheese. I used to get grande before but had to go around to pizza places to see if they'd sell me some.

I saw you said you like the whole milk grande. you prefer that to the east coast blend or just b/c that's whats available?

Interesting to hear the increasing number of us that struggled with pollyo. I wonder just how low a temp it would take to avoid it turning to soup, but I don't care enough to experiment with it.

Regarding grande, I'd say I slightly favor whole milk to east coast, as its a bit richer. But from my recollection, its a pretty small difference. Half the cheese is identical, then the other half being the same brand but with slightly less fat...so not a huge difference.

Matt

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1751 on: January 03, 2021, 09:41:39 PM »
Interesting to hear the increasing number of us that struggled with pollyo. I wonder just how low a temp it would take to avoid it turning to soup, but I don't care enough to experiment with it.

Regarding grande, I'd say I slightly favor whole milk to east coast, as its a bit richer. But from my recollection, its a pretty small difference. Half the cheese is identical, then the other half being the same brand but with slightly less fat...so not a huge difference.
and less pooling

Offline robz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1752 on: January 06, 2021, 12:44:58 PM »

If you ever do get some I will gladly pay you fro one.  Let me know if you are able to.  Thanks

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1753 on: January 06, 2021, 01:39:01 PM »
If you ever do get some I will gladly pay you fro one.  Let me know if you are able to.  Thanks

It's natural to believe if we had a screen like matt's, we could make pizza like matt but it's really the 10k or so hours matt has spent experimenting, taking notes and driving incremental improvement that allows him to make picture perfect ny pizza. As Matt has hinted, I'm sure he could achieve the same results without a screen.

jeff

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
« Reply #1754 on: January 07, 2021, 02:39:02 PM »
Once I had the idea of charting my TF and cheese amount, I kind of had to do it. But it's not super interesting.

You guys, here and at the bread club too, so scientific! Now I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Just not my bag. I am more of a fly by the seat of my pants pizzaiolo/Panettiere. Smile...

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1755 on: January 07, 2021, 04:18:26 PM »
You guys, here and at the bread club too, so scientific! Now I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Just not my bag. I am more of a fly by the seat of my pants pizzaiolo/Panettiere. Smile...

Haha, yes. I actually don't think I'm as scientific as many people here, but I couldn't hold back my Microsoft Excel geekiness on that one  :)

Matt

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1756 on: January 08, 2021, 10:15:12 AM »
I am looking for screens too.  Please provide any information when possible  Thank you    Gene

Offline nickyr

« Reply #1757 on: January 09, 2021, 12:03:28 AM »
Wow I switched the mozzarella from Polly-O to Joseph Farms (a local one I like a lot—store didn’t have Galbani) and it worked so much better!! Thanks so much. Just got a little soupiness on the first one from a thin spot.

I also compared a sauce with juices like you do to one without the juice. Juices were better. Had to try it though :-)

This was King Arthur bread flour with 2% vital wheat gluten. Definitely better than without the vital wheat gluten, but maybe not as good as Sir Lancelot.

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #1758 on: January 09, 2021, 05:36:32 PM »
Wow I switched the mozzarella from Polly-O to Joseph Farms (a local one I like a lot—store didn’t have Galbani) and it worked so much better!! Thanks so much. Just got a little soupiness on the first one from a thin spot.

I also compared a sauce with juices like you do to one without the juice. Juices were better. Had to try it though :-)

This was King Arthur bread flour with 2% vital wheat gluten. Definitely better than without the vital wheat gluten, but maybe not as good as Sir Lancelot.

Looks killer!!!! Was this Matt's dough formulation? If not - mind sharing?

Offline nickyr

Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1759 on: January 09, 2021, 09:00:16 PM »
Looks killer!!!! Was this Matt's dough formulation? If not - mind sharing?
Thanks! It was close to Matt’s formula. See attached. Sorry I crossed everything out before I took a pic :-)

That’s for two pizzas, slightly under 14 inches.

wordpress