A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 92169 times)

Offline Josh123

Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1760 on: January 12, 2021, 09:43:11 PM »
Michael, who makes these screens, isnít secretive about it. I can connect people with him if so desired. I donít really use them at my pizzeria anymore, as Iíve adjusted my dough/melt to just the peel, but the difference between these and regular screens is night and day. Much better if youíre gonna use a screen.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1761 on: January 16, 2021, 03:51:09 AM »
Michael, who makes these screens, isnít secretive about it. I can connect people with him if so desired. I donít really use them at my pizzeria anymore, as Iíve adjusted my dough/melt to just the peel, but the difference between these and regular screens is night and day. Much better if youíre gonna use a screen.

So you're back up and running?  I hope so.
John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1762 on: January 16, 2021, 08:01:48 AM »
So you're back up and running?  I hope so.

While we wait for his reply, here's a link to a pie he recently posted that's 20" baked in a deck oven:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg654804#msg654804

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1763 on: January 16, 2021, 01:10:18 PM »
Ok, here is a summary of some of things I've learned, confirmed, or have started to learn over the past couple months.

9) Open the dough cool!
I dont know how I forgot to include this one earlier, but I open my dough after only 40-45 minutes at winter room temp of 69. The result is a doughball around 52 degrees. I think this is one of the factors that's helping me avoid thin spots.

Matt

Offline nickyr

« Reply #1764 on: January 16, 2021, 08:13:44 PM »
9) Open the dough cool!
I dont know how I forgot to include this one earlier, but I open my dough after only 40-45 minutes at winter room temp of 69. The result is a doughball around 52 degrees. I think this is one of the factors that's helping me avoid thin spots.
Iíve been noticing this too!

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #1765 on: January 18, 2021, 04:33:38 PM »
9) Open the dough cool!

Ooooh, good call!! I feel like I've totally seen guys at pizza spots just grab a dough right out of the lowboy fridge and stretch as opposed to it being sitting out room temp.

I'd love to get in touch - but would it matter that I only need a couple?

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1766 on: January 18, 2021, 04:51:30 PM »
Ooooh, good call!! I feel like I've totally seen guys at pizza spots just grab a dough right out of the lowboy fridge and stretch as opposed to it being sitting out room temp.

I'd love to get in touch - but would it matter that I only need a couple?

Tom had always said to have the dough warm AT room temp, which many people (including me) misinterpreted as having it warm TO room temp. And he recommended opening the dough in the range of 50-55 degrees. Too cold and you get bubbles, too warm and it may overstretch and have thin spots.

Thats kindof the question for the guy. I tend to think he's not in the business of doing small orders, or shipping small orders. Thats my thinking on me picking up a bunch (once I venture out again) and shipping them myself to anyone who's interested.

Its funny though, of the various places in my town that we order from for my kids, my favorite uses a regular screen, not the mesh. I had some a couple nights ago and I'm tempted to experiment without bench flour again. They have an interesting light fried crisp that I'm assuming is from opening in oil.

Matt

Offline robz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1767 on: January 21, 2021, 12:59:01 PM »
It's natural to believe if we had a screen like matt's, we could make pizza like matt but it's really the 10k or so hours matt has spent experimenting, taking notes and driving incremental improvement that allows him to make picture perfect ny pizza. As Matt has hinted, I'm sure he could achieve the same results without a screen.

Ive been making pizza for years. I grew up eating at Lucia's and Gloria's pizza.  For me its more about the nostalgia then thinking the screens will make a huge difference.  But the undercarriage is very distinct when using a mesh screen.

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #1768 on: January 21, 2021, 03:09:07 PM »
Ive been making pizza for years. I grew up eating at Lucia's and Gloria's pizza.  For me its more about the nostalgia then thinking the screens will make a huge difference.  But the undercarriage is very distinct when using a mesh screen.

Hey robz - I'm just curious, are you refering to Gloria's (aka The Gloria) in Carroll Gardens or is it some place else?

Offline SHB

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1769 on: January 21, 2021, 10:08:03 PM »
@hammettjr

Matt what thickness factor have you been using on your latest pies?

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1770 on: January 21, 2021, 10:12:11 PM »
TF is a funny concept because on its own it won't determine how thick an undercrust is. But I'm in the range of 0.09-0.0925...last weekend was 400 grams for 14".

Matt

Offline SHB

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1771 on: January 21, 2021, 10:35:07 PM »
TF is a funny concept because on its own it won't determine how thick an undercrust is.

By that do you mean its also dependent on rim size? Or is there could be something I don't know about TF.

Thanks

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1772 on: January 22, 2021, 11:14:56 AM »
By that do you mean its also dependent on rim size? Or is there could be something I don't know about TF.

Thanks

Yes, not exactly my area of expertise, but I think there are several factors including rim size, hydration, fermentation, and maybe a bit of opening technique.

A while back there was an informal survey around people's ideal TF for NY style, and it gravitated towards 0.085, with a good amount of people less than that and only few above it. But I suspect my dough at 0.0925 is thinner than many who use less dough. I dont have (or seek) a light & airy undercrust.

Matt

Offline SHB

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1773 on: January 22, 2021, 06:52:43 PM »
Yea I like a Joes type slice so on the thin side. But I wanted to try and go thicker with a bit more sauce and you're looks right on point. I usually go .08-.085. Trying .095 out and dial back from there.

Offline robz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1774 on: January 22, 2021, 08:42:53 PM »
Hey robz - I'm just curious, are you refering to Gloria's (aka The Gloria) in Carroll Gardens or is it some place else?

No Iím referring to the Gloriaís in Forest hills. It was originally open in Main Street flushing clothes for many years and then re-opened in Forest Hills. Itís an excellent slice of pizza

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1775 on: January 23, 2021, 12:29:22 PM »
Yea I like a Joes type slice so on the thin side. But I wanted to try and go thicker with a bit more sauce and you're looks right on point. I usually go .08-.085. Trying .095 out and dial back from there.
I find it hard to believe that a 0.01 thickness factor can make any difference when I think it is impossible to open 2 balls exactly the same to that decimal point.  Don't get upset but if there is a case of over thinking I think this is one.  It's a Pizza not an engineered item using a micrometer.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1776 on: January 23, 2021, 12:36:55 PM »
I find it hard to believe that a 0.01 thickness factor can make any difference when I think it is impossible to open 2 balls exactly the same to that decimal point.  Don't get upset but if there is a case of over thinking I think this is one.  It's a Pizza not an engineered item using a micrometer.

I agree that consistently opening the dough (size/shape/rim size etc) isn't easy, and has a big impact. It's a lot easier when using a standard screen as you know the size/shape will be the same.

But thickness of the crust has a huge impact on overall flavor and melt. IF one is able to be fairly consistent in their stretch, a 0.01 TF change in dough weight will absolutely make a difference.

Matt

Offline SHB

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1777 on: January 23, 2021, 05:55:22 PM »

One decimal point but a 12% difference. I do notice a difference in the dough ball size compared to my normal recipe. T-minus 3 hours, we shall see!

But thickness of the crust has a huge impact on overall flavor and melt.
I'm glad you brought up the melt because that's one of the driving forces in the change.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:02:43 PM by SHB »

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1778 on: April 17, 2021, 02:35:20 PM »
I'm in the middle of pan-pizza detour. Partially because I do really like my pan pizzas, and partially because I'm a bit frustrated with my NY flavor and need a break. But I like the way this one looked. Tasted good too, but still no Lucia.

Matt

Offline sal951

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1779 on: April 29, 2021, 03:26:45 PM »
I must admit to stalking a few of the longer running threads on this forum for some time picking out tidbits of advice here and there. When I make my pizzas, I have a bunch of different little yellow sheets of legal pad paper with varying recipes on them. There are only two there which are labeled based off who I've ripped off. One says in large lettering "NORMA" the other "HAMMETT".

This is your recipe, prepped the way I've watched Norma make hers. I consider it the best of both worlds. Made 4 more dough balls today to be ready for Sunday dinner. Cheers.  :chef:

wordpress