A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bon Appetit: 23 NY slices in 36 hours  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Piezone

• I Love Pizza!
Bon Appetit: 23 NY slices in 36 hours
« on: June 06, 2018, 09:12:31 PM »

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Bon Appetit: 23 NY slices in 36 hours
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 07:17:03 AM »
This video is amazing! It should be required viewing for this board. What I really like about it compared to other videos:

1. You get to see many different slice shops

2. There's very clear images of most of the slices, where you can really see the color, thickness, etc

3. Best of all, there are many images of pre-baked pizzas, with detail of hard cheese use, mozz amount, and most notably you can see alot of detail on the sauce thickness and amount of seasoning

Matt

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 02:16:38 PM »
That is an interesting video. But one of the things that surprised me is that Nino's docks their skins. I don't recall seeing that done for a classic NYC pizza.

Peter

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
  • Rest In Peace - March 2020
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 02:56:47 PM »
 I saw that video earlier today. Thought about posting it. Good video, thanks for posting.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 06:12:16 PM »
great video, thanks for posting! Nice to see our neighboorhood sal & carmines do so well. During the chau tour, I lobbied for luigis in park slope but didn't get any traction...
jeff

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 07:38:27 PM »
This guy is way off base, apparently.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 08:33:23 PM »
This guy is way off base, apparently.

Please elaborate. (I really didnt listen to him. Was interested in the images, particularly pre-bake.)
Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 06:47:23 PM »
matt, I'm guessing the nyc "pizza elite" don't agree with his evaluation of the best slices. For example, Joe's was in his top three the first day, imagine what harryhaller would have had to say about that  :)

personally, I'm with you, it was fun to see slices from all those shops, he was entertaining and it's not surprising his top picks differ from others.

best,
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 06:50:39 PM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 08:39:17 PM »
Bumping this thread. I just watched the video for probably the 10th time. Short of going to 23 slice shops in NY yourself and actually tasting the pizza, this video really cant be beat. IMO it should be a sticky.
Matt

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 09:14:51 PM »
nah wildly inaccurate video. The slice I had at new park recently was so bad I wouldn't go back. Number two? Come on...

Bumping this thread. I just watched the video for probably the 10th time. Short of going to 23 slice shops in NY yourself and actually tasting the pizza, this video really cant be beat. IMO it should be a sticky.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 09:20:36 PM »
nah wildly inaccurate video. The slice I had at new park recently was so bad I wouldn't go back. Number two? Come on...

Hmm. I was going to try it as Scott Wiener and Adam Kuban just raved about New Park on the Serious Easts podcast.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:22:07 PM by HBolte »
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 09:21:26 PM »
At least they actually tried the pizza unlike most of the so-called rankings.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 09:22:10 PM »

You're missing the point entirely. It's not about the ranking, its the visuals of the pizzas pre and post bake that are tremendously helpful for people that want to recreate NY pizza.

Regarding your opinion of New Park...thats your opinion. And many people disagree with you.

Hmm. I was going to try it as Scott Wiener and Adam Kuban just raved about New Park on the Serious Easts podcast.

You should!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:24:17 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 09:53:03 PM »
Did I see a bunch of slices with small bubbles all the way through the crust or was that just my imagination?

No. 3 and No. 7, for example, as well as a few others where one can just tell the crust is lined with them.

No. 1 looks bad. Old cheese (aged too long) and no pull nor stretch on that thing.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 10:16:50 PM »
Did I see a bunch of slices with small bubbles all the way through the crust or was that just my imagination?

No. 3 and No. 7, for example, as well as a few others where one can just tell the crust is lined with them.

Yes. One of the reasons I rewatched the video was to look at the variance in bubble formation across the pizzerias.

I took note of Bleeker Street too (#7) and took the screenshot below at the time.

The second screenshot is from the the pizzeria posted on the other thread. It looks completely different to me, with bubbles the entire height of the crust (or up to a gumline). Unless the dark round circles I'm seeing aren't actually bubbles.

Matt

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 10:24:54 PM »
Yes. One of the reasons I rewatched the video was to look at the variance in bubble formation across the pizzerias.

I took note of Bleeker Street too (#7) and took the screenshot below at the time.

The second screenshot is from the the pizzeria posted on the other thread. It looks completely different to me, with bubbles the entire height of the crust (or up to a gumline). Unless the dark round circles I'm seeing aren't actually bubbles.

No, they are bubbles alright.

It's an indicatior that it is a light, crispy slice with most likely a good digestibility compared to a crust that's dense.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Hermit

• I make do with what I have
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 10:53:47 PM »
I'll get those bubbles on my reballed doughs assuming they still have enough strength when I'm ready to bake.  It can be annoying especially if you get a larger one in the middle.  The texture is my absolute favorite with that light crisp, it's like the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.  My NY slices I make at home hide all this curiosity of bubbles throughout the slice  >:D

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 11:42:32 PM »
I'll get those bubbles on my reballed doughs assuming they still have enough strength when I'm ready to bake.  It can be annoying especially if you get a larger one in the middle.  The texture is my absolute favorite with that light crisp, it's like the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.  My NY slices I make at home hide all this curiosity of bubbles throughout the slice  >:D

Quick tip...let it sit on the peel for a minute or two before saucing and topping. A higher hydration and a good amount of heat helps as well.

If you experience bubbles in the middle, or anywhere else on the pie except the rim, the dough was most likely too cold.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 12:39:58 AM »

The pic from the SD Bronx shop looks a little bit more proofed than Bleeker but that's about it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:41:42 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 12:56:12 AM »
You're missing the point entirely. It's not about the ranking, its the visuals of the pizzas pre and post bake that are tremendously helpful for people that want to recreate NY pizza.

Please explain how those pics/stills/screenshots are tremendously helpful for people that want to recreate NY-style without the knowledge of how to get there?

I could take a Picasso, look at it and try to recreate it. What are the chances that I would succeed?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 03:25:17 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

wordpress