A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My South Shore Bar Pizza  (Read 35144 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: My South Shore Bar Pizza
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2020, 05:54:22 PM »
not sure where hydration is for this recipe, but it can be pretty low at some places and that may help you.   Remember some are using deck ovens (down on stones with burners under them).   So people adjust their recipe to their oven I think.

Offline enchant

• Lifetime Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2020, 07:22:56 PM »
Crisco?  I might as well tell my wife I'm putting heroin into the dough.  I'll try lowering the oil.
--pat--

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2020, 07:39:25 PM »
Crisco?  I might as well tell my wife I'm putting heroin into the dough.  I'll try lowering the oil.

I probably use about 1/4 teaspoon...
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2020, 03:52:58 PM »
Todays is a 175g doughball 10" pizza.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline enchant

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2020, 04:05:38 PM »
WHAT is on that pizza???
--pat--

Offline jsaras

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2020, 04:06:23 PM »
Todays is a 175g doughball 10" pizza.

That's a stunner!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2020, 04:06:39 PM »
Looks great Hans.  Are you still using the same recipe from the web site you linked to earlier in this thread?
Carl

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2020, 04:39:20 PM »
Another vote for Crisco here.  Grease your pans with it in the same fashion that you have done so with oil. 
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2020, 04:48:19 PM »
WHAT is on that pizza???

Looks like "cup and char" pepperoni.

Nice pizza Hans !!!
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> Pizza Party Emizione, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline enchant

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2020, 05:17:09 PM »
Is that a thing?  It looks like they're cupping upwards.  They look like tiny derby hats made out of pepperoni.
--pat--

Offline jsaras

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2020, 06:00:36 PM »
Is that a thing?  It looks like they're cupping upwards.  They look like tiny derby hats made out of pepperoni.

It is a “thing”. They usually have natural casing.  Hormel Rosa Grande and. Vermont Smoked Pepperoni do this (sold in sticks).  The pepperoni juice swimming pools are a thing of delight.  The delivery chain operators avoid it because it makes a mess of the pizza during transport.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2020, 06:13:13 PM »

My problem is that the crust isn't crispy.  Parts of the outside edge are, but once you get an inch away from the rim, it's soft like wonder bread.

I remember the 2 of us going back and forth on this a while back as we both had this issue with pan pizza.

What I've been doing the last month or so, for both my NY and pan pizzas,  is put the pie directly on the oven rack for the last 30-45 seconds of the bake, near the bottom of the oven. I'm still experimenting with it, but it's been a huge difference.

Matt

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2020, 06:19:21 PM »

Try my favorite. Margherita brand natural casing. You will need to slice it yourself. A knife works fine. It cups fine. To me, the smoked stuff gets a sweetness that  makes it taste more like bologna.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2020, 09:08:16 PM »
Thanks so much everyone!

The formula for this is different from the South Shore formula. It's Adam Kubans formula which is more like Colony Grill pizza, but with more dough. He uses 175g in a 12" pan. I like it just a bit thicker so 175g in the 10" pan.

I used only a chickpea sized bit of Crisco to lube the pan. Not much at all.

The pepperoni is Hormel Rosa Grande. Boars Head stick performs just about the same and is easier to find.

Baked on the middle rack at 550° for 8 minutes then 2 minutes on a pizza stone on the top rack.

The cheese was a blend of pecorino romano, cheddar, and LMWM mozz.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 09:21:44 PM by HansB »

Offline enchant

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2020, 04:59:32 AM »
Have you ever seen one of those images where you can't tell if the person/thing is facing toward you or away from you?  That's what that photo is for me.  Now I can see that it's normal pepperoni cupping upwards.  The light is coming from the lower-left.  And when I do, that's all I see.  But sometimes I look at it, and it looks like it's cupping downwards and each piece looks like it has a bubble in the middle and is being illuminated by a light positioned above and right.  When I see that, *that* is all I can see.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 05:01:04 AM by enchant »
--pat--

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2020, 07:22:50 AM »
Lol! If I stare at the upper right I can see it too.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2020, 06:32:30 PM »
Hot Italian sausage and onion.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2020, 08:14:44 PM »
THat's a beautiful pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2020, 08:33:24 PM »
Hot Italian sausage and onion.

You still using the Whole Foods sausage?  Links and then removing from casing?  175g again?  Pan on rack and then 2 minutes out of the pan on a stone?
Carl

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2020, 09:27:54 PM »
You still using the Whole Foods sausage?  Links and then removing from casing?  175g again?  Pan on rack and then 2 minutes out of the pan on a stone?

Yes, and I also mix Mike's Hot Honey and a bit of water and coat the sausage for some browning and more flavor. Yes, 175g in 10" pan.