A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Joes Pizza NYC dough and sauce.  (Read 17388 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Joes Pizza NYC dough and sauce.
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2020, 03:47:23 PM »
T= Tablespoon, t = teaspoon.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2020, 05:50:36 PM »
t

Is that 3 tablespoons or teaspoons of sugar in the sauce?

The conversion in that post was off though. See post 22 (screenshot below).
Matt

Offline novawaly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2020, 09:39:25 AM »
Wow this thread is amazing. I've been trying to get that joes sauce since the day I started making NY style and have yet to have it.

My girlfriend used to live upstairs from the west village location. I would be in there all the time watching the process. I would watch them open, sauce cheese and bake to completion.

The observations I noticed: I never saw them transfer to a screen at all. It was always straight from they oven to the counter for the slices but maybe they were just rushing pies out bc the line was long

The sauce: one of the reasons I've always been very against milling my tomatoes is bc their sauce looked way thicker than milled to me. It seemed to have the texture of crushed tomatoes. Maybe when I mill I'm using too fine a plate and they just a less fine one?

Either way, this is great to read this thread as it's basically been my holy grail in my ny journey, mostly for nostalgia reasons.

It's funny, I knew the sauce was very sweet and that sweetness/brightness is the first thing I taste when I bite into their slice. when I make deep dish I use about 1.5T of sugar for a 28 oz can, I just never even considered that it could be even more sugar than that.

Thanks so much for posting this! It's been a joy to read

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2021, 09:13:17 PM »
 Been working on the joes style pizza using Andrews recipe. The thing I remember most about Joes was the sweet sauce and that was what stood out.  I like pizza with a sweeter sauce.
  I used a number 10 can of tomatoes and the ratio I used was 2.5 ounces of sugar per can. Cheese was grande full milk. And I followed Andrews dough recipe and weight. My pizzas were 16 inches and baked in my koda 16. The baking method need a lot more work in that oven. Balancing the floor is a challenge. The floor varies in temperature a lot over the 16 inch radius that the pizza baked on.
 Thank you Andrew for your recipe its a keeper!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:14:59 PM by thezaman »

Offline novawaly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2021, 09:22:09 PM »
That looks pretty good man. Nice work. What was the cheese/sauce ratio?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2021, 09:36:04 PM »
Been working on the joes style pizza using Andrews recipe. The thing I remember most about Joes was the sweet sauce and that was what stood out.  I like pizza with a sweeter sauce.
  I used a number 10 can of tomatoes and the ratio I used was 2.5 ounces of sugar per can. Cheese was grande full milk. And I followed Andrews dough recipe and weight. My pizzas were 16 inches and baked in my koda 16. The baking method need a lot more work in that oven. Balancing the floor is a challenge. The floor varies in temperature a lot over the 16 inch radius that the pizza baked on.

Excellent Larry!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2021, 09:00:06 AM »

Great looking pizza!!!!!  Have you tried making the exact recipe using Grande's East Coast Blend?  I'm curious how it would turn out.  A few places in my area recently switched to this and like it a lot.

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2021, 07:30:20 PM »
That's a great looking pie! the bottom looks very nice as well.  Did you get any crisp?  I have a Koda 16, I know what you mean about the floor temps.  I'm gonna give this style a shot next week, hopefully it turns out as good as yours!

Offline DXrunner19

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2021, 07:40:37 PM »
Also had a chance to do this using the Joes formulation.  It turned out good and the sauce was sweet just how I remember them.  Also did it in a Koda16 but felt the dough lacked depth and I think its because the dough didnt have oil.  Made a similar dough with oil and thought it had more flavor and was also crispier.  Probably just my preference.  Either way had fun and both pizzas were far and away some of the best Ive made.  Second pizza is the General Mills standard formulation using caputo high gluten flour.  The first is the Joes pizza using all trumps unbromated. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 03:04:13 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2021, 02:50:31 PM »

Alright, this pie makes me want to try this recipe now. Wow!

Offline NYSliceUK

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2021, 12:42:18 PM »
This is my attempt from last week. Ive tried it a few times since Andrew posted the dough recipe and I found it was a bit too salty for my liking so I've halved the salt and doubled the sugar to help it brown in my home oven. I also pre-baked the dough for 3 mins at 230c, which helps to give it a crisp. I find this dough is a lot dryer and easier to work with than previous recipes I've used, so that's a bonus 🙂

Offline Qapla

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2021, 08:56:39 PM »
Since this thread contains an actual Joe's sauce recipe ... it would be nice if it were pinned  ^^^

JMHO

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2021, 10:10:12 PM »

Separately, I'd propose to sticky this thread (maybe after it slows down). It's special.

Matt

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2021, 08:52:47 PM »

You're very welcome Larry!  That's some beautiful pizza!

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2021, 08:53:48 PM »
Also had a chance to do this using the Joes formulation.  It turned out good and the sauce was sweet just how I remember them.  Also did it in a Koda16 but felt the dough lacked depth and I think its because the dough didnt have oil.  Made a similar dough with oil and thought it had more flavor and was also crispier.  Probably just my preference.  Either way had fun and both pizzas were far and away some of the best Ive made.  Second pizza is the General Mills standard formulation using caputo high gluten flour.  The first is the Joes pizza using all trumps unbromated.

Nice pies!!

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2021, 08:54:31 PM »
This is my attempt from last week. Ive tried it a few times since Andrew posted the dough recipe and I found it was a bit too salty for my liking so I've halved the salt and doubled the sugar to help it brown in my home oven. I also pre-baked the dough for 3 mins at 230c, which helps to give it a crisp. I find this dough is a lot dryer and easier to work with than previous recipes I've used, so that's a bonus 🙂

Lower hydration is so much easier to work with!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2021, 09:24:16 PM »
I have been stuck on this Joes style pizza. This was my last attempt. Starting to get the stretch down a little better. Lower hydration helps a lot. 

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2021, 09:30:48 PM »
I checked in today and I am about 31K down the list for the covid vaccination. With luck, this Fall I'll be able to make it out to Montauk for some bass fishing. Never been to NYC, but I'm going to stop by your joint!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 09:33:57 PM by parallei »

Offline novawaly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2021, 01:59:54 PM »
I have been stuck on this Joes style pizza. This was my last attempt. Starting to get the stretch down a little better. Lower hydration helps a lot.

good looking pie. did you measure your cheese/sauce amounts quantities? also, did you go milled tomatoes or just crushed?

Offline novawaly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2021, 02:17:20 PM »
I know it was said that Joes runs whole peeled through a food mill but I was just watching this video below and saw them sauce a pie - this is a screen shot I took. I looks like the texture of crushed? Are they thickening with something or perhaps using much less fine sieves than my food mill has bc anytime I pass mine through the food mill, the consistency is much much thinner than this

here's the full video link

wordpress