A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Two more pies up for review. Made progress, and have more questions.  (Read 3191 times)

Offline AtHomePizza

• Looking for that secret recipe
Re: Two more pies up for review. Made progress, and have more questions.
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2021, 07:58:52 AM »
Here's my procedure when using a rolling pin, gently roll the dough to the shape you want, if the dough is still too small hand stretch it the the correct size. Then I cover the dough and let it rise a little while the oven is heating up usually 30 mins. After the 30 mins I remove the cover from the dough, I use a screen and place the dough on the screen. That way I could shape the dough to the size of the screen. See Photos.

Your water at 61% is correct, but your yeast in my opinion is too low, try 0.375%. Also oil also effects the rise to a small degree, you may want to drop that down to 2%. Your oven temperature is correct to bake the pizza at 550F for 10 minutes and that's what I use but my bake time is 8 minutes, you can see the browning in the photos.

George

Nice looking crust. That is my objective.

How important is the screen?
I thought the stone was the key to getting a nice crispy crust.

I notice if I let my pie sit after stretching, it becomes very tacky and ends up sticking to the peel unless a significant amount of corn meal is used to allow it to slide off.

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2021, 02:34:42 PM »
why would that matter?
Well he is not using IDY and my understanding the ADY needs to be hydrated for about 10 minutes with a bit of sugar.  And doing so would show whether the yeast was viable or not.   Floating Yeast is Dead Yeast. 

Offline AtHomePizza

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2021, 04:08:18 PM »
I thought the ADY was preferred over the IDY.  <---Look at me using acronyms like pro.

What is the general consensus on the boards here?
Is it similar to the type of flour used and which yeast is base upon why type of pie is being made?
ADY or IDY?

Offline gbakay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2021, 04:32:52 PM »
I thought the ADY was preferred over the IDY.  <---Look at me using acronyms like pro.

What is the general consensus on the boards here?
Is it similar to the type of flour used and which yeast is base upon why type of pie is being made?
ADY or IDY?

Some members on this board use ADY, some use cake yeast and I think more use IDY. It's the easiest yeast to use just mix it with the dry flour.
Basically up to you, I've never used cake yeast but with the small amount of pizzas I make the yeast would go bad before I use all of it. I tried
both ADY and IDY and taste very little difference in the crust when used.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2021, 06:10:05 PM »
One vote for IDY here.  I just found that recipes tended to call for IDY more often, and I liked that I could just dump it in with the flour or in the water - I didn't have to treat it special.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2021, 09:07:04 PM »
IDY here because it was what I started with and like the others have said its quite easy to just mix in with the dry ingredients as opposed to having to proof it first.

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2021, 10:08:07 PM »
I still build a culture even with IDY.  I add the yeast ,all the sugar and let it go for 10 minutes with water warmed to 100 degrees.   A great way to tell viability of your yeast.

Offline AtHomePizza

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2021, 04:12:50 AM »
If using the IDY, are you still bothering making the night before (or longer)??
Also, when using IDY, do you bother inspecting for air pockets via the bottom of the bowl?

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2021, 12:33:14 PM »
If using the IDY, are you still bothering making the night before (or longer)??
Also, when using IDY, do you bother inspecting for air pockets via the bottom of the bowl?
I assume "the night before" means using the dough the same day.   IDY and ADY act the same way when the yeast develops the colony. There is no real time difference.  You can always look at the bottom of the bowl but by the huge rise in the bowl that is really not necessary.  If you want things to go quickly, heat all the water to 100 degrees and heat the mixer bowl too.  Then add all the yeast and sugar.  wisk it up and wait 10 minutes , you should see a nice foam developing.  Then slowly add the mixture of Flour, malt if using, and salt slowly a cup at a time with 2 minute intervals,  adding oil towards the end. Mix after that for 10 minutes.  Keep out to use in 8 hours or put in the fridge for the next day.   You do need to use about 4 grams of yeast for a 500 grm ball if you want fast results.   Some might call this an emergency dough but nevertheless it works just fine and great for a NY Pie as most Pizzerias use the same method.   Also if you want you can keep this dough in the fridge for 3-4 days if you want.  Then it will be very extensible, almost to easy.

Offline AtHomePizza

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2021, 06:37:04 AM »
Then slowly add the mixture of Flour, malt if using, and salt slowly a cup at a time with 2 minute intervals,  adding oil towards the end. Mix after that for 10 minutes.

Wow, my entire mixing time is probably 6-7 minutes.
I tried adding 1-2 cups first but it seems all the flour gets pushed to the wall and all that is mixing is the water and very little flour.
Even once it appears the bowl is clean and the dough seems to be just riding the blade around in circle I should continue to let it go?
What issue(s) does it cause by cutting the mixing time short like I have and when do I gain by letting it go longer?

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2021, 10:52:26 AM »
What attachment are you using to mix?  and use a small spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl when mixing.  As for enough mixing time the issue is gluten development.  Your picture of the mixed dough looked lumpy to me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 10:56:54 AM by Fiorot »

Offline AtHomePizza

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2021, 10:56:16 AM »
What attachment are you using to mix?  and use a small spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl when mixing.
The one that looks like a screw ???

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2021, 10:58:05 AM »
I edited my last response.  My final 10 minutes is mixed on a higher speed where the dough falls off the hook

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2021, 03:25:42 PM »
Wow, my entire mixing time is probably 6-7 minutes.
I tried adding 1-2 cups first but it seems all the flour gets pushed to the wall and all that is mixing is the water and very little flour.
Even once it appears the bowl is clean and the dough seems to be just riding the blade around in circle I should continue to let it go?
What issue(s) does it cause by cutting the mixing time short like I have and when do I gain by letting it go longer?
AtHomePizza,

I don't believe you mentioned the brand or model of mixer you are using. I have a KitcheAid stand mixer that also has a flat beater attachment in addition to a C-hook and I often start with the flat beater attachment and follow that with the C-hook. I have discussed this method many times on the forum but here is a typical post in which I give details:

Reply 4 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=55558.msg558983;topicseen#msg558983

Peter

Offline AtHomePizza

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2021, 06:45:30 PM »
Here are my ingredients for this weekend.
Posting here tonight as I tend to do the dough on Friday night.
Since I picked up some KA Flour and going to add Malt, want to ensure nothing else like water needs to change.
Picked up a heat gun too.
Will have more pictures and more detailed info.

Ingredients to use for this weeks pie.
KA Bread Flour (12.7%) : 205g
00 Flour                          100g     <----Still have a few bags and don't want it to go to waste. 8)
Water             186g
Sugar                 6g
Yeast                  1g
Salt                    5g
Malt                    2g
Oil                      9g

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2021, 11:16:19 PM »
Sorry and have to say,  You don't even have a mixing protocol and you are posting another recipe so close to the others I dare say is insignificant.
There a lot of very smart and experienced dudes here.  I would suggest you respond to the posts of those trying to help you instead of telling us what you are going to this weekend.  As we wait with baited breath.  ;D

Offline AtHomePizza

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2021, 04:50:43 AM »
Yes, the recipe is close to the others as I am attempting to make small changes.
When I first was reading the various posts, I was a bit surprised to see so many replies recommending what I thought to be insignificant changes like just changing flour type, or change hydration just 1-3% or even increasing/decreasing ingredients 1-2 grams.
One common theme is changing to a higher protein flour tends to require a slight change to the hydration and I did change the flour.
The more I read the more I found that these insignificant changes are very significant.
Even something as simple as adding 1-2 grams of malt which I am doing in addition to changing flour.
Now, I am trying to follow suit but yet considered insignificant.  ??? ??? ???
Oh well, I will continue posting to mimic other threads I read and hopefully others will see I am just attempting to learn about this exciting pizza making quest.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 06:12:13 AM by AtHomePizza »

Offline AtHomePizza

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2021, 06:40:54 PM »
Ingredients used for this weeks pie.
KA Bread Flour (12.7%) : 205g
00 Flour                          100g     <----Used left over 00 Flour to used it up.
Water             186g
Sugar                 6g
Yeast               .94g
Salt                    5g
Oil                      9g

Was going to add malt this week but read the KA flour and malt is already included.

Water and Sugar added together and microwaved.
Added yeast @ 126.3 degrees and let it sit for 8 minutes with period stirring.

Using the Kitchen Aid mixer and started with the flat beater and slowly added flour.
After about 7 minutes I switched to the dough hook to finish off the dough with the rest of the flour.
After another 2.5 minutes of mixting (see image), the oil was added.
3 more minutes of mixing and it was done (see 2 images).

12.5 total mixing time is close to twice my normal time and the dough did feel better/different but it could also be due to the new flour. ???

Oiled a bowl and placed the dough in and lightly coated the top. (see Image).

Check the image of the dough in the bowl. Is that too much oil?????

Attached images
1 - Water, Sugar and yeast after 8 minutes
2 - Image of dough after 9.5 minutes and right before oil was added.
3 & 4 - When dough was complete.
5 - Dough in bowl before covering completely with tinfoil and placing in the refrigerator until tomorrow.

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2021, 07:20:08 PM »
great now when taking out of the bowl Stretch and Fold the Ball about 10 times rotating the ball each time, coat with a bit of oil and put in tupperware     Now we are talking !!!!! look for a vid of stretch and fold

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2021, 11:08:52 PM »
Did your yeast survive 126.3?
-Tony

wordpress