A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Recipe request: NYC Sicilian sausage rolls  (Read 1643 times)

Offline orgreg

• I Love Pizza!
Recipe request: NYC Sicilian sausage rolls
« on: February 28, 2021, 11:16:32 AM »
Does anyone have a recipe for sausage rolls? I'm not talking about the Italian loaf version, the Aussie puff pastry thing, or a stromboli. I'm talking about the sausage rolls that look similar to this picture as I remember from pizzerias in NYC decades ago that had good Sicilian slices.

Offline Peter B

• This is a marathon-not a sprint
Re: Recipe request: NYC Sicilian sausage rolls
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 12:45:15 PM »
Never seen these before that I can recall.  Are they kind of like Pigs in a Blanket, just with whole italian sausages and maybe some cheese?  They do look yummy.
That's how I would approach it.  Make some NY style dough and roll it out thin.  Wrap a cooked sausage, along with some cheese and maybe bake at 450 until it looks done?
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci's Pizzeria
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 07:59:19 PM »
A sausage roll (or chicken roll) can be found at many neighborhood NYC slice joints.  It's usually sliced Italian Sausage, green peppers, onions and mozzarella. Served with a side of marinara.  Done by cutting a dough in half, forming a triangle, and rolling up the ingredients. Sometines finished with an egg wash and sesame seeds.  Almost always done with inferior sausage and cheese. Looks better than it tastes. Most will sit in your stomach.

I get a lot of requests for this, especially because I use a custom locally made hot Fennel Sausage. But it's a pain to make, just like garlic knots. Not gonna appear on my menu anytime soon...
Bellucci's Pizzeria
37-08 30th Avenue
Astoria, New York

IG: @The_Bellucci

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 12:46:15 PM »
A sausage roll (or chicken roll) can be found at many neighborhood NYC slice joints.  It's usually sliced Italian Sausage, green peppers, onions and mozzarella. Served with a side of marinara.  Done by cutting a dough in half, forming a triangle, and rolling up the ingredients. Sometines finished with an egg wash and sesame seeds.  Almost always done with inferior sausage and cheese. Looks better than it tastes. Most will sit in your stomach.

I get a lot of requests for this, especially because I use a custom locally made hot Fennel Sausage. But it's a pain to make, just like garlic knots. Not gonna appear on my menu anytime soon...
I donít get the garlic knots thing. To me they never taste very good.

Offline Peter B

• This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 01:51:28 PM »
I donít get the garlic knots thing. To me they never taste very good.
^^^
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline johnnyoak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 01:02:03 PM »
Reviving an old thread:

I also was looking for a recipe similar to this and after doing some research came across this video - https://youtu.be/7ORMOQUmwEw?t=150

Same concept, but with chicken cutlets. Hope this helps someone!

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 07:28:24 PM »
Hope this helps someone!

Thanks johnnyoak, it helped me!

I made a big sausage loaf which I sliced, added sauteed onions, green peppers, and mozz and baked for about 11 minutes on a pan on top of a stone at 500. The two on the right I brushed with olive oil. The two on the left were au natural. The guy in the video doesn't brush with oil and I don't think it made a positive difference in my test tonight so I'll skip next time. They were good!
Carl

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 08:50:25 PM »
I made another batch of these tonight, same dough from a week ago. Pretty good!
Carl

Offline GPalmer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 12:48:30 AM »
Nice documentation,  these look excellent!

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 08:11:28 AM »
Nice documentation,  these look excellent!

Thanks Greg! Here are a few more pics from last night's effort. I did a couple things differently with the sausage. I normally buy a pork butt, break it down, and run it through the grinder twice. I then divide up the ground pork and freeze. I defrost and season a day or so before I use it, either as a fennel/italian sausage or a breakfast sausage depending on what I'm doing with it. I'd been feeling that the double grind made the resulting sausage a bit tight and rubbery so this time I bought a pack of boneless pork country ribs (from the shoulder) at Costco, cut them into cubes and seasoned as fennel sausage before grinding just once. So country ribs, seasoning first, and then grinding once were the big changes, though I don't think the country ribs are really much of a change, but they were less prep!

I liked the result. More texture, less rubbery. Not sure whether seasoning before grinding or after grinding makes much of a difference.

As far as these sausage rolls go, I'm really digging them. I'm not going on the record and saying I prefer them to pizza but...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 08:15:11 AM by sodface »
Carl

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 10:20:50 AM »
When I first moved to NY I lived across the street from typical family run corner shop and I stopped in many times on my way home for a chicken roll. It seems odd to me given how much I like pizza, but those rolls eat a bit more like a usual meal which maybe is why I gravitated towards them.

Your rolls look really good!

Matt

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2021, 12:02:58 PM »
When I first moved to NY I lived across the street from typical family run corner shop and I stopped in many times on my way home for a chicken roll. It seems odd to me given how much I like pizza, but those rolls eat a bit more like a usual meal which maybe is why I gravitated towards them.

That's a good memory to have. There is something final about the portion size of these, you eat the whole thing. There's no internal conflict on whether to have "just one more slice" as sometimes happens with pizza. Though I suppose you could eat half of one and save the other half for later - but who's going to do that?!

Your rolls look really good!

Thanks. I gotta do something about the cheese leakage.
Carl

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 06:04:24 PM »
Not sure if it'll help the cheese leakage, but I think I've seen rolls with diagonal slits across the top to let it vent while it bakes. (At some shops, but not at others. )

Matt

wordpress