A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mixing speeds (Bosch Universal Plus)  (Read 645 times)

Offline yarbrough462

• Back in the US
Mixing speeds (Bosch Universal Plus)
« on: March 04, 2021, 07:34:10 PM »
Hi all!  I have a basic question that may not have a basic answer  :-D. I just moved back from Italy and am trying to get my dough back to where it was.  In Italy, I had access to a diving arm mixer and we used long kneading times for the dough.  I worked my last six months there in a buddy's pizzeria for fun and to learn so, I made thousands of pies with the dough out of that mixer.  Since moving back, I am using my Bosch Universal Plus.  I am making a Neo-American style pizza cooked in a wood fired oven (exact same style we made in Italy). The dough that comes out of my Bosch (with the exact formula I was using in Italy) is a bit more "nervous".  By nervous (that is the Italian term when a dough behaves like mine), I mean it has a bit more snap back to it when I go to stretch it.  I can still make what I consider to be a great pie with the dough but, I prefer to work with the more extensible dough for speed.  All other variables are the exact same except location.  When mixing with my Bosch, I am following the same process I did with our diving mixer at the Pizzeria.  Same flour, same exact formula. I never move the mixer past the 1st speed because it doesn't seem to need it but I am wondering what I may be missing.  Our diving mixer was super slow and gentle so maybe that is the deal...Is the speed of the mixer when mixing that important or is it just the type of mixer that is causing the issue? Thanks! 

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
Re: Mixing speeds (Bosch Universal Plus)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 08:44:28 PM »
Hi all!  I have a basic question that may not have a basic answer  :-D. I just moved back from Italy and am trying to get my dough back to where it was.  In Italy, I had access to a diving arm mixer and we used long kneading times for the dough.  I worked my last six months there in a buddy's pizzeria for fun and to learn so, I made thousands of pies with the dough out of that mixer.  Since moving back, I am using my Bosch Universal Plus.  I am making a Neo-American style pizza cooked in a wood fired oven (exact same style we made in Italy). The dough that comes out of my Bosch (with the exact formula I was using in Italy) is a bit more "nervous".  By nervous (that is the Italian term when a dough behaves like mine), I mean it has a bit more snap back to it when I go to stretch it.  I can still make what I consider to be a great pie with the dough but, I prefer to work with the more extensible dough for speed.  All other variables are the exact same except location.  When mixing with my Bosch, I am following the same process I did with our diving mixer at the Pizzeria.  Same flour, same exact formula. I never move the mixer past the 1st speed because it doesn't seem to need it but I am wondering what I may be missing.  Our diving mixer was super slow and gentle so maybe that is the deal...Is the speed of the mixer when mixing that important or is it just the type of mixer that is causing the issue? Thanks!
If everything else is the same, it might be a fair conclusion that the mixer is working the proteins more or less than the diving arm mixer did?
Run as slow as possible and vary the mixing time?
Mick

Offline yarbrough462

• Back in the US
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 08:52:43 PM »
If everything else is the same, it might be a fair conclusion that the mixer is working the proteins more or less than the diving arm mixer did?
Run as slow as possible and vary the mixing time?

That is the exact basis of my question.  It all other things are equal, what effect does the speed of the mixer have on the final product?  Buying a diving arm mixer is not an option (they are uber expensive...).  I am already running my Bosch on the lowest speed. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 09:19:55 PM »
I would try mixing for less time.  More snap back means more developed gluten.  The Bosch is a very fast mixer.   I still use my Bosch even though I also have other great mixers.  I only use the Bosch to combine the ingredients.  I turn it on just until all dry flour is gone and it has just become "dough".  This usually takes about 30 seconds to a minute.   Then I come back to it every 20-40 minutes, pull the dough out and do a stretch and fold.  Try doin this 4-6 times and you may find that you dont need to do any more "mixing", just a quick combining with the Bosch and then stretch and folds.

Good luck!

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 11:39:57 AM »
I agree, my first thought was to reduce the mixing time and to let the dough develop the last of the gluten itself while resting.  If it's nervous it's most likely over mixed.

If I watch the Di Matteo video they take around 25 minutes (iirc), when I make the same dough in my spiral mixer (but also far less dough), it's ready after about 3 minutes on the lowest speed.  OK it looks a little rough on the outside (not a smooth skin), but when I ball it after the puntata the skin gets really nice and satiny.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • A heaven without pizza would have limited appeal
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 11:47:29 AM »
I agree that the Bosch can be very fast. I have had concern that it over-develops the dough, although i donít know if that concern is accurate. Still, i purchased a sliding controller that you plug a lamp into that acts like a dimmer of sorts. When the Bosch is plugged into it, i can run this at a slower speed. Might be worth trying.