A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Joj's NY Style Learning Thread (Waring WPO500)  (Read 756 times)

Offline Joj

Joj's NY Style Learning Thread (Waring WPO500)
« on: April 13, 2021, 07:07:38 PM »
NJ transplant living in MD. After reading, missing good pizza, and seeing the passion on this forum, I decided to take the plunge down the rabbit hole. My great white whale is the pizza I grew up with in Northwest Jersey (Nicolosi's).

I was inspired by Essen1's and Norma's threads. Still have so much to learn; all feedback is appreciated!

Dough: Essen1's 2-3 day dough, I did a 48 hr cold ferment. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.msg368433#msg368433
Flour (100%): GM Full Strength
Water (65%):
ADY (0.3%):
Salt (2.5%):
Olive Oil (1%):
Sugar (1%):
Diastatic Malt Powder (1%): Anthony's https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WGUYX96/?tag=pmak-20
429g dough ball opened up to 16".

Workflow:
Essen1's here https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.msg380433#msg380433, I do not have a mixer, so I did it by hand. Trying to take care not to overmix.

Cheese:
-Saputo Mozzeria WMLM (10 oz).

Sauce:
-7/11 w/ MAE herbs (6oz)

Bake:
-On a 16" screen in the Waring WPO500 (stock stone) for ~9 minutes at 550f.
-Rotated 180 degrees after 5 minutes.

Offline Joj

Re: Joj's NY Style Learning Thread (Waring WPO500)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 07:17:06 PM »
Notes:
- Definitely will take some experimenting to get the top/bottom balance right with the Waring. The bottom has a lot of power.
- Thinking launching directly instead of using the screen would get more oven spring?
- I would like to get some Grande to try. The Mozzeria had little/no stretch (grated on a box grater, room temp when it went on the pie).
- Top browning was not fantastic, thoughts? (I was not using the AB Mauri LDMP, any impact from using a DMP with an unknown LV?)

Overall this was leagues better than my previous efforts, and I did enjoy the taste!

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 07:17:57 PM »
Nicely done!!!
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 07:40:54 PM »
Notes:
- Definitely will take some experimenting to get the top/bottom balance right with the Waring. The bottom has a lot of power.

Gosh - it looks pretty good to me!

Notes:
- Thinking launching directly instead of using the screen would get more oven spring?

Not sure about the effect on the oven spring, but it would certainly mess with your balance in top vs. bottom cooking.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 08:10:53 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Joj. Youíre in the right place. Itís clear you have spent many hours here reading (as your intro post says). Your pizza looks great!
-Tony

Offline Joj

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 05:24:48 PM »
Nicely done!!!
Thank you!

Gosh - it looks pretty good to me!

Not sure about the effect on the oven spring, but it would certainly mess with your balance in top vs. bottom cooking.
Thanks! I think you're right, going to stick with the screen for the next couple bakes and work on the top.

Welcome to the forum, Joj. Youíre in the right place. Itís clear you have spent many hours here reading (as your intro post says). Your pizza looks great!
I appreciate that, thank you. It's good to be here.

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 05:35:50 PM »
Joj,

That pie looks excellent!

I appreciate you posting about your experience with the Waring oven. There was one for sale in Houston on Craigslsit that I almost pulled the trigger on due to the price. Now I wished that I'd bought it based on seeing your results.

Paul
Paul

Offline Joj

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 05:43:17 PM »
Was so excited to make more pizza, I tried Essen1's same day dough from here https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.msg561834#msg561834
18" Pie
                                             Grams   
Flour                         100%     358   
Water                        (65%)    233   
Instant Dry Yeast        (1%)      4   
Regular/Fine Sea Salt (2.5%)    9   
Diastatic Malt Powder (2%)        7   
Olive Oil                    (2%)        7   
Sugar                        (1%)       4   
Total                         (173.5%)   621   
Single Ball   621g   

- Baked on an 18" screen for ~8min at 560f.
- Top was a bit blonde, I would have thought it would be darker with the malt/sugar. Any thoughts?
- First pepperoni pie I've made (nuking the pepperoni on paper towels helped with the grease), forgot how much I love a big pepperoni pie  :drool:
- Dough was very extensible, I may have given it too much time (ended up being ~4-5 hours) for the RT ferment with that much yeast. It was difficult to keep it even while opening.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:45:44 PM by Joj »

Online Zaroh

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 11:50:21 PM »
Hi Joj, I am definitely not qualified to give any advice but wanted to say that is a delicious looking pizza!  :drool:

I've wanted to pull the trigger on the WPO500 for years but always hesitated as there isn't as much content (forum threads, videos etc.) on it making me less confident about purchasing it. Seeing your results is making me consider it again. Given the chamber depth is listed at 18'' did you find baking an 18'' pizza on a screen to be a tight fit, or was there some room for forgiveness?

Offline Joj

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 09:38:52 AM »
Hi Joj, I am definitely not qualified to give any advice but wanted to say that is a delicious looking pizza!  :drool:

I've wanted to pull the trigger on the WPO500 for years but always hesitated as there isn't as much content (forum threads, videos etc.) on it making me less confident about purchasing it. Seeing your results is making me consider it again. Given the chamber depth is listed at 18'' did you find baking an 18'' pizza on a screen to be a tight fit, or was there some room for forgiveness?

Here's a video of the 18" pie in the oven https://imgur.com/a/Y59XEmq.

18" on a screen is totally doable and not stressful putting it in. I'll take a pic later of the 18" screen in the oven to give you some perspective.

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 03:34:27 PM »
Nice looking pies!

Online Zaroh

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 03:47:28 AM »
Sorry to bug you about this stuff but Waring and vendors have been non-responsive. Do you happen to know the measurements for the oven, or specifically the distance between feet depthwise? Seeing a lot of conflicting information. Waring's official spec sheet has the oven at 26''W 16''D 12''H which unless I'm having a brain fart is impossible since that same spec sheet says it can do 18'' pizzas (plus we know it can from this thread) so the depth is at a bare minimum 2'' short. (https://www.waringcommercialproducts.com/files/products/WPO500-Single-Deck-Pizza-Oven-Spec-Sheet-20200504.pdf)

Spec sheets from other vendors have it at 26''W 28''D 16''H which sounds more realistic, but then there's a video from a review on Webstaurant showing closer to 20'' depth, and then a youtube video of a WPO750 (should be same as WPO500 minus height?) showing around 22'' depth, and 26'' depth including the handle.

At this point I am fairly sold on the WPO500, but trying to figure out if a 30''x23'' stand I currently have will allow all 4 legs to sit on top of it. Looking forward to seeing some more of your pizzas from this oven!

Offline AndyBern

• Luke 4:4
    • Andrew Bernhardt's homepage
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 10:53:49 PM »
Same here. I'm also looking at the WPO500 and wondering the same thing about the stand. What is the leg spacing?

Offline Joj

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 12:41:42 AM »
Sorry to bug you about this stuff but Waring and vendors have been non-responsive. Do you happen to know the measurements for the oven, or specifically the distance between feet depthwise? Seeing a lot of conflicting information. Waring's official spec sheet has the oven at 26''W 16''D 12''H which unless I'm having a brain fart is impossible since that same spec sheet says it can do 18'' pizzas (plus we know it can from this thread) so the depth is at a bare minimum 2'' short. (https://www.waringcommercialproducts.com/files/products/WPO500-Single-Deck-Pizza-Oven-Spec-Sheet-20200504.pdf)

Spec sheets from other vendors have it at 26''W 28''D 16''H which sounds more realistic, but then there's a video from a review on Webstaurant showing closer to 20'' depth, and then a youtube video of a WPO750 (should be same as WPO500 minus height?) showing around 22'' depth, and 26'' depth including the handle.

At this point I am fairly sold on the WPO500, but trying to figure out if a 30''x23'' stand I currently have will allow all 4 legs to sit on top of it. Looking forward to seeing some more of your pizzas from this oven!

Distance between the feet depthwise, 18" (see below). Distance between the feet widthwise, 24" (see below). Your 30"X23" stand actually sounds perfect.

Same here. I'm also looking at the WPO500 and wondering the same thing about the stand. What is the leg spacing?

24"W and 18"D for the leg spacing.

I also took a couple pics of the oven chamber depth and width.

Offline Joj

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 01:03:16 AM »
Baked a couple more same day doughs tonight.

Dough, same as the same day formulation above except I took the cheese pie hydration down to 58% and the pepperoni pie down to 61% (just experimenting). 3.5hr RT ferment, ambient temperature 68 degrees. Yeast (IDY) from the table https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg511590#msg511590.

I also used 45 degree bottled water for the dough instead of tap water.

480g dough ball opened to 16"

Baked on a 16" screen 600f for 8 minutes, rotated 180 degrees 5 minutes in.

Offline Joj

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 01:06:10 AM »
WPO500 in action midbake https://imgur.com/gallery/DQrOHIV.

Online Zaroh

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 01:14:47 PM »
Awesome thanks a bunch Joj! Those pizzas are looking great by the way. Looks like you're getting that better browning you were looking for.

Offline Joj

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 06:54:52 PM »
FINALLY got my hands on some Grande, holy smokes THAT is the melt I grew up with and was seeking. I was so excited seeing that cheese come out of the oven.

wordpress