A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Question On Yeast Amount In Recipe  (Read 350 times)

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
Question On Yeast Amount In Recipe
« on: April 25, 2021, 11:23:37 AM »
Hi guys. I cam across a recipe on Serious Eats for what they call a Basic New York Style Pizza Dough. It calls for 637 Grams of flour, 425 grams of water and 10 grams of IDY with a cold ferment of 1 day and up to 5 days. That just seemed to me to be a lot of yeast. Does that amount sound correct to you?
I started out with nothing. I have most of it left.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Question On Yeast Amount In Recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 11:42:37 AM »
Hi guys. I cam across a recipe on Serious Eats for what they call a Basic New York Style Pizza Dough. It calls for 637 Grams of flour, 425 grams of water and 10 grams of IDY with a cold ferment of 1 day and up to 5 days. That just seemed to me to be a lot of yeast. Does that amount sound correct to you?
Bbqquy,

The IDY comes to 1.57% and it is indeed a lot, although it might work out OK for an emergency or same day dough if you watch the dough carefully and maybe even cool the dough at some point. I remember years ago seeing Peter Reinhart calling for a lot of yeast in some of his recipes so that the dough would have a wide window of usability. I discussed this matter at Reply 5 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=13037.msg127477;topicseen#msg127477

I think the important question from your perspective is to determine what you want to do in terms of the NY style from a fermentation window perspective and select the amount of yeast that will provide the right solution. You might even want to take a look at member Craig's chart at Reply 261 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg393271#msg393271 (click to enlarge)

Peter

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
Re: Question On Yeast Amount In Recipe
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 12:05:21 PM »
Thank you Pete. Iím just beginning to get back into making pizza after dealing with some health issues. I appreciate your insight.
I started out with nothing. I have most of it left.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress