A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Is it finding workers hard right now ?  (Read 828 times)

Offline afox

• I Love Pizza!
Is it finding workers hard right now ?
« on: October 28, 2022, 05:00:18 PM »
We are opening a pizzeria in Manhattan at the end of the month and we have been having a hard time finding labor

Is anyone having the same issue ?

Offline Pizza_Not_War

• Supporting Member
Re: Is it finding workers hard right now ?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 06:57:06 PM »
Just about every business I go to is looking for help. Many restaurants are closing randomly for sit down service and only doing takeout. 1 to 2 week wait for a plumber, etc.

Online kbrede

• Supporting Member
    • Bluestem Baker
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 07:02:37 PM »
It is in my area. The media has been talking about labor shortages for a long time. 
-- Kent

Ovens:
Gozney Roccbox
Samsung NX58H5650WS + 15"x20"x3/8" steel

Offline engt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 12:08:59 AM »
Government paying people not to work so why should they.

Online Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 01:24:42 AM »

Over 1 million in the US died of covid and people in service industries were much more likely victims than the norm. Line cooks were 60% more likely to die of covid than the general population.

The last covid checks went out about 18 months ago. I bet folks have spent that $1500 by now.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 01:26:47 AM by Timpanogos Slim »
Pepperoni is just American chorizo.
- Eric

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • HANDMADE SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 02:54:11 AM »
It is going to be hard to find long-term full-time workers in the restaurant business unless you offer livable pay that can buy a home, send kids through school, and benefits. I wrote an editorial about last year that was about this subject. It was published in newspapers around the country.  We got a letter from President Biden as well for it.  I also got death threats and called a communist on our answering machine at work over it.  I said we are going to have to subsidize small businesses because they cannot compete with big companies in wage and benefits. Sad times we are in......

If you run a small business and don't offer these things, you will be a revolving door of short time, and often subpar employees.  That is exhausting.  To train new people all the time will run you out of the business faster than the long hours.  Also, your products will be inconsistent at best.  Finding great food that is consistently great today is near impossible due to the continual turnover and lack of employees. 

PURCHASE OUR HANDMADE 22 GAUGE COLD ROLLED STEEL SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
https://www.swhenterprises.com/

Online Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 09:43:11 PM »
I would further like to point out that unemployment is currently at 3.5% in the USA, while 4.5% is often regarded as being as close to "full employment" as we're likely to see.

And the BLS estimates that there are 0.6 unemployed workers for every open position.

So no, nobody is being "paid not to work". It's legitimately a labor shortage. Maybe because a million extra people died.
- Eric

Offline caymus

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2022, 05:36:35 AM »
I would further like to point out that unemployment is currently at 3.5% in the USA, while 4.5% is often regarded as being as close to "full employment" as we're likely to see.

And the BLS estimates that there are 0.6 unemployed workers for every open position.

So no, nobody is being "paid not to work". It's legitimately a labor shortage. Maybe because a million extra people died.

The vast majority of the deaths were older people who were most likely retired. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2022, 11:28:50 AM »
The last covid checks went out about 18 months ago. I bet folks have spent that $1500 by now.

Yeah, and because of inflation, expenses went up too.  I got a $1400 check, but I'm spending $1400 more on food, gas and rent than I did last year.  It's a total wash.

And unfortunately, I know people whose car broke down during covid.  And they have to pay $5000+ extra for a car because they need to get to work.  And maybe their employer pays them an extra $2 an hour or whatever, but still it just doesn't scale.

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2022, 11:35:07 AM »

This is not true.  Please prove to me with concrete numbers that government welfare is enough to keep people not working.

It takes at least $2500 a month for bare survival.
Rent = $1200+ per month (plus utilities)
Food = $400/m
Gas= $400/m
Car insurance = $100-150/m
Car payments/repairs = $300-600.
And what about frills like health insurance and wifi?

Tell me what government agency is giving people $2500 a month.  Show me a source.

The truth is that these unemployed people are going into debt.  Unemployment covers a little, but no, it's not enough to forgo working by any means.

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2022, 11:38:45 AM »
Is anyone having the same issue ?

Workers aren't hard to find.  But it's hard to find good and reliable ones, especially in a high turnover industry like restauants.

You will find imperfect underqualified people.  But at least try to find someone who is mature and a decent person.  The mature decent person, even if they lack knowledge, can learn and become a good employee.  But an immature lazy person will forever be a bad employee.

Online Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 01:08:58 PM »
The vast majority of the deaths were older people who were most likely retired. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

Check this data for which industries were most heavily impacted.

Guess where food service ranks.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/health_policy/covid-19-deaths-by-selected-census-occupations-among-united-states-resident-decedents.pdf
- Eric

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2022, 02:23:39 PM »

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/health_policy/covid-19-deaths-by-selected-census-occupations-among-united-states-resident-decedents.pdf
Thank you for finding that. Sobering and itís only through 2020.
-Tony

Offline George Bowman

• I Love Pizza!
    • George's Pizza
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2022, 08:59:54 PM »
 I run a pizza joint in the boonies of Thailand and we constantly have people asking us for a job. Why? First off, we pay $10.51 a day which is more than the minimum wage. Secondly, Thailand doesnít give out much in the form of government assistance so people have to actually work for a living...

Offline vitopiesclt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2022, 01:06:21 PM »
Weíve been hiring for months and literally have only had 4-5 people apply. Itís tough when the gas station up the road pays $20 per hour to anyone who walks in the door. We have one woman that helps with the ovens (her family owned a pizza place between the 70-90s) and one high school girl that helps with customer service. Both of them are excellent employees but it is a concern when they decide to leave because other than that weíre a husband and wife team that preps and cooks every single ingredient and pizza that goes out our door.

Also, completely understand living wage and thatís why we do almost everything ourselves so that we make majority of the profit to pay all our bills! The job were hiring for would be great for a responsible teen/college student or someone looking for extra income but canít find anyone even remotely interested.

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2022, 01:14:15 PM »
One of the reason for high turnover is because owner is very short sighted, they expect every employee who came thru the door is going to hit the ground running, they immediately assign them on busy nights. Not everybody is cut out for stress and fast pace right away.
if the product is high quality / priced correctly and also owner got courage to tell customers that they are out of stock would take some pressure off to build long term reliable work force.       
People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered, love them anyway. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives, do good anyway. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable, Be honest and frank anyway. If you are successful , you will win false friends and true enemies, succeed anyway.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2022, 01:27:31 PM »

That doesn't show what industries were most impacted. You need a denominator to do that.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • HANDMADE SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2022, 01:37:36 PM »
The fact is the pizza business used to be a family run business by Italian immigrants.  When their children were born here in the USA most kept it going but by the second generation most were sending their kids to college and swore they would not work as hard as they did.  Now with multiple shops with the same name, it has dilluted to a big box store scene for finding and retaining employees.  You no longer people raised from birth that spend a career as a pizza makers.  I grew up with that the norm.  This is why we stay small and pay about $30/hr to our part time (12 hours a week is the most hours we pay any employee and a total of about 30 hours a week of payroll).  It is the easiest gig in food as I shop for produce/do every prep/make all the dough on my own and make every pie.  They show up 20 minutes before we open, top, cut, box pies, do curbside and patio service, and clean up.  If they don't catch the simple stuff we have them do in a hour, we do not keep them.  The good ones are on other paths with college, career changes, and other such things that keeps them as not long-term employees. Cadillac gig for them.  Rather do this any day than try to drive a nail through glass so to speak with ones that have no food intuition. Still, it is hard finding people with food intuition.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 03:38:50 PM by waltertore »
PURCHASE OUR HANDMADE 22 GAUGE COLD ROLLED STEEL SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
https://www.swhenterprises.com/

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2022, 11:54:41 PM »
  We never shut our doors one day during COVID  90 percent of my employees worked thru the pandemic. We lost 6 restaurants in our town over the last three years. Every employee has asked an been given more money. This was because the labor market was so competitive. And the restaurants that worked thru the pandemic are very busy.
  Sales were never a problem.Getting enough staff to handle business was and is a major issue. We are thankful for the support we have gotten  from our community. It is truthfully heart warming. At the same time frustrating trying to offer good service.
  I look around at all businesses not just the restaurant industry and see there have been many compromises made with employees to allow businesses to stay opened. The massive need for bodies is hard to understand. The medical field is really suffering from staff shortages. 
  I as a restaurant owner I have never worked more hours then I have over the last three years. And I have two children helping me. If they were not with me during these  trying times I would never had made it.
  Coming off of parents weekend at Oberlin college with a  waiting list from 11 Am to 8pm 
Friday and Saturday I am truly thankful for my kids and staff for there hard work. And I do know they are worth every penny they earn.   
  I have gotten to the point were I will raise my prices to cover all of the added costs we are incurring especially labor. So far customers have been understanding. I do not expect people that are with me for the long term to work for anything but a living wage.
  To answer the above question labor is an issue keep your menu simple. Think about offering a shorter work day and two days per week off. Also paid time off is a nice benefit. Do a 6 day open schedule so everyone has one automatic day off. If it could be Sunday that is a selling point. For our business we are open 7 days. Our hours have been reduced to 10 pm close on Friday and Saturday. Back in the old days it was 1AM

« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 11:58:29 PM by thezaman »