A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Yeast pred model, Ana organic 00 flour  (Read 324 times)

Offline live4u

• Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
Yeast pred model, Ana organic 00 flour
« on: November 07, 2022, 05:20:49 PM »
I have two things c overed in this post
1) Ana organic 00 flour is not as good. My weekend pizza went for a toss with 1/2 the yeast I used at 59 deg F for 36 hours fermentation. It didnot bubble up and was too hard to handle. I am striking this off from my flour usage. I will go back to Caputo Antimo

2) The Baker's yeast quantity prediction model by Craig, somehow I am doing something wrong. I choose 48hr dough at 60 deg F came close to 0.024% IDY. I kept the wine cooler at 58 deg F for the 24hr full dough and divided it to balls after that for next 24 hrs. Expectation was it will ferment properly. But to my surprise it was over fermented. I checked the temp in my wine cooler and it was at 58 deg F (using temp gun). Now I tried again next time but reduced the IDY to half and I still saw the same problem. I used the xlsheet that was shared on this channel (I am not calculating anything since it was for sourdough, rather I plugged the IDY% into the yeast row).

Am I doing something wrong here? I want it to be fermented properly so that I can handle the dough well. If not it stretches too thin even for one rotation :D

Appreciate the responses

Thanks

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
Re: Yeast pred model, Ana organic 00 flour
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 07:13:02 PM »
Craig's chart is just a jumping off point.  I use it all the time it works pretty close for me.  I have never have had it overferment that badly.   You didn't put your formula - maybe you have a decimal point in the wrong place or miscalculated ?   How much yeast and how much flour did you use?

Deb

Offline live4u

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 10:36:26 PM »
58 deg F, 0.024%, I use his xl sheet and directly plugin the IDY%. the first time when it over fermented with the above calculation, I reduced the IDY to half

Offline jsaras

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 10:38:55 PM »
I have two things c overed in this post
1) Ana organic 00 flour is not as good. My weekend pizza went for a toss with 1/2 the yeast I used at 59 deg F for 36 hours fermentation. It didnot bubble up and was too hard to handle. I am striking this off from my flour usage. I will go back to Caputo Antimo

2) The Baker's yeast quantity prediction model by Craig, somehow I am doing something wrong. I choose 48hr dough at 60 deg F came close to 0.024% IDY. I kept the wine cooler at 58 deg F for the 24hr full dough and divided it to balls after that for next 24 hrs. Expectation was it will ferment properly. But to my surprise it was over fermented. I checked the temp in my wine cooler and it was at 58 deg F (using temp gun). Now I tried again next time but reduced the IDY to half and I still saw the same problem. I used the xlsheet that was shared on this channel (I am not calculating anything since it was for sourdough, rather I plugged the IDY% into the yeast row).

Am I doing something wrong here? I want it to be fermented properly so that I can handle the dough well. If not it stretches too thin even for one rotation :D

Appreciate the responses

Thanks
What’s your dough temperature after mixing?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 07:11:01 AM »
58 deg F, 0.024%, I use his xl sheet and directly plugin the IDY%. the first time when it over fermented with the above calculation, I reduced the IDY to half

I'm not familiar with the spread sheet - does it have you plug in .024 or .00024 ?   Also, if you tell us how much flour and yeast you used then we can recalc to rule out a problem with yeast amount.

Also, I had a scale with grams and grains,  I had to be careful to not choose the wrong one, that might be something that could go wrong and get the wrong yeast amount

Deb

Offline live4u

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 12:52:09 PM »
I'm not familiar with the spread sheet - does it have you plug in .024 or .00024 ?   Also, if you tell us how much flour and yeast you used then we can recalc to rule out a problem with yeast amount.

Also, I had a scale with grams and grains,  I had to be careful to not choose the wrong one, that might be something that could go wrong and get the wrong yeast amount

sorry its 60deg F, 0.024% from the chart.

The numbers i plugged into the google sheet that Craig shared

Size   Q   Waste   Dough
   290   7   2.00%   2071

Ingrediants   %   weight   
   Flour             100.00%   1243   g
   Water    64.00%   796   g
   Salt            2.50%   31   g
   Yeast    0.02%   0.3   g
      .                  2071   g

Offline live4u

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 12:52:28 PM »
What’s your dough temperature after mixing?
I didnot check this actually.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 05:37:57 PM »
Ana Organic was one of the worst flours I have used. I'm not surprised by your experience.

Offline live4u

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 10:06:20 PM »
Ana Organic was one of the worst flours I have used. I'm not surprised by your experience.

oh boy! one of the worst. Will not buy it anymore.

Offline wiz_d_kidd

• Make Mine Large!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2022, 09:14:31 AM »
You all mean "Anna" -- with two "N"s? I've used their regular 00 flour, not the organic version. The results are just OK. I prefer Caputo, but unfortunately I can only get their Chefs flour (not Pizzeria) in small bags.