A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Essen1's NY-style pizza project  (Read 492679 times)

Offline CaptBob

Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #1220 on: September 20, 2015, 09:23:47 PM »
Mike,

That is a delicious looking pizza!  8)

Norma

^^^
Bob

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1221 on: September 20, 2015, 10:01:31 PM »
Same dough formula as the 5-hr emergency dough here...http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.msg396642#msg396642...except I lowered the malt to 2% and the yeast to 0.3% to get it to ferment for 24 hrs. It was a cold ferment with the last hour on the bench to bring it to room temp.

Dough weight was 20 oz for an 18" pie, which will go into the oven soon.

This dough is smooth as silk and very easy to handle.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #1222 on: September 21, 2015, 05:01:05 AM »
Don't torture us Mike  :'(

Dress her up and show us what she looks like  >:D ::) >:D
Regards Mo

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #1223 on: September 21, 2015, 10:47:55 AM »
Finna make 5 Essen1 Pizzas today. With two of his formulas.

We'll see how this turns out
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #1224 on: September 21, 2015, 02:03:29 PM »
Here's mine. Five hours to bake time!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline gfgman

« Reply #1225 on: September 21, 2015, 03:22:06 PM »
That's a boss looking pie for a 5 hour dough.  Did you use Central Milling's Diastatic Malt, or some other brand.  20 some bucks for shipping on the Central Milling is a bit steep.  Plus 5 pounds seems like a lot to have on hand.  I can get 1.5 pounds of another brand on Amazon for about $11.50, with free shipping.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1226 on: September 21, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »
That's a boss looking pie for a 5 hour dough.  Did you use Central Milling's Diastatic Malt, or some other brand.  20 some bucks for shipping on the Central Milling is a bit steep.  Plus 5 pounds seems like a lot to have on hand.  I can get 1.5 pounds of another brand on Amazon for about $11.50, with free shipping.

Gfgman,

I used the AB Maury malt, which is the same as the CM malt and ordered it from here:

http://nybakers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=60&zenid=189a6d0a0e74bf730d887d261c6e23b2

I also got the SAF Instant Red yeast and shipping for both was about $8 via FedEx Express Saver.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1227 on: September 21, 2015, 04:38:43 PM »
Here's mine. Five hours to bake time!

Awesome! Let us know how it turns out.

How did you like the dough so far?
Mike

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #1228 on: September 21, 2015, 04:45:06 PM »
Mike, I kneaded for 8 minutes in KA like you did. The dough felt nice and supple, should open well.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1229 on: September 21, 2015, 04:48:58 PM »
Mike, I kneaded for 8 minutes in KA like you did. The dough felt nice and supple, should open well.

Nice.

Anxious to see the outcome.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1230 on: September 21, 2015, 04:51:32 PM »
The outcome from yesterday. The lighting in my kitchen is crap and it was too dark to take some outdoor shots.

I think I slightly overbaked the crust and I believe that with a 24-hr maturation the bake time needs to be shorter by perhaps 2 mins or so.

It was still good, though, but nowhere near as good as the 5-hr crust.
Mike

Offline bregent

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1231 on: September 21, 2015, 05:36:13 PM »
Those look great Mike. What pepperoni are you using? Seems to oil off much less than the Hormel original I have.
Bob

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1232 on: September 21, 2015, 05:52:21 PM »
Those look great Mike. What pepperoni are you using? Seems to oil off much less than the Hormel original I have.

Bob,

I use the low-sodium Armour Pepperoni, which is part of the Smithfields Foods Co, the same producers of the Margherita brand pepperoni. You should be able to find it in most well-stacked grocery stores.

I like the Armour flavor profile better than the Hormel.
Mike

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #1233 on: September 21, 2015, 07:30:44 PM »
I really liked the five hour pie. The dough ball opened just right.  I had not used DMP before so the crust did brown faster than I am used to. The bottom looked just like Miles. I launched a bit hot too, 586F on the stone and baked for 6 minutes.

The crust had a nice texture and chew. For a same day dough the flavor was really good, it could pass for a 24 hour CF.

Thanks for sharing Mike, I'll use this formula again!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1234 on: September 21, 2015, 07:35:27 PM »
Hans,

That is a good looking pizza.

Was the pizza baked in the BlackStone? You might reduce the amount of diastatic malt next time if the color was a bit too dark for you.

Peter

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1235 on: September 21, 2015, 07:36:03 PM »
I really liked the five hour pie. The dough ball opened just right.  I had not used DMP before so the crust did brown faster than I am used to. The bottom looked just like Miles. I launched a bit hot too, 586F on the stone and baked for 6 minutes.

The crust had a nice texture and chew. For a same day dough the flavor was really good, it could pass for a 24 hour CF.

Hans,

I'm really stoked that it turned out well! The pie looks dynamite. Love it.

Just the right coloration on the rim.

Thanks for doing that little test.
Mike

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #1236 on: September 21, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »
My pleasure Mike...I'm stuffed!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #1237 on: September 21, 2015, 07:44:19 PM »
Hans,

That is a good looking pizza.

Was the pizza baked in the BlackStone? You might reduce the amount of diastatic malt next time if the color was a bit too dark for you.

Peter

Thank you Peter. It was baked in my home oven. It's a 550 oven with a +35 calibration put in. Next time I'll delete the adjustment and go with a straight 550F.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #1238 on: September 22, 2015, 02:05:20 AM »

HBolte. How do I get my top crust to brown more without the use of added sugar or oil?
I used the formula in reply #914 in this thread. I didn't use diastatic malt. Will it help out a lot?
Should I move the stone up a little higher? I baked at 550* on a stone for 7 min. Dough was fermented for 5 days.

The bottom was well done, and so was the inside of the crust.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1239 on: September 22, 2015, 02:18:42 AM »
HBolte. How do I get my top crust to brown more without the use of added sugar or oil?
I used the formula in reply #914 in this thread. I didn't use diastatic malt. Will it help out a lot?
Should I move the stone up a little higher? I baked at 550* on a stone for 7 min. Dough was fermented for 5 days.

The bottom was well done, and so was the inside of the crust.

5 days? Seriously?

Hans used a 5-hr dough, not a 5-day dough. None of my doughs are designed for a 5 day maturation.

Crumb looks great, though.
Mike

wordpress