A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Your weekly pizza making schedule, fitting it into the 8-5  (Read 430 times)

Offline JayBC

• I Love Pizza!
Your weekly pizza making schedule, fitting it into the 8-5
« on: January 13, 2018, 05:29:10 PM »
I just read an interesting article on the perfect loaf, about how to fit making natural starter bread into a 8-5 working life. 

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/weekend-baking-schedule/

I have a Pizza Party oven on the way, and want to make pizza making a more regular part of my schedule. I think I will be starting with IDY and neapolitan.  My preference is for doing the tasks in the the evening after work rather than in the rush of the morning. Long ferments are fine, I don't mind having to do a step every few days.  Natural starter may be in my future, but I want to focus on the basics first.

Question from a newbie, what is your workingman's pizza schedule?

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Your weekly pizza making schedule, fitting it into the 8-5
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 05:32:03 PM »
Cold fermentation and a little practice are pretty easy to fit on a schedule. Room temp is another beast unless you save your baking for the weekends. Although things like a wine cooler can help a lot there, especially if you are interested in Neapolitan.

Online Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 08:53:07 PM »
Yeah what he said ^.

You can do room temperature ferments, but it will be a bit of a chore.

For a 24 hour dough, if I finish making the dough at  7:00PM, I'll have to reball at 7:00AM the following morning. Not too bad.
How long does it take for those ovens to reach operating temperature?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 09:02:43 PM »
Here is how I do 48 hour room temp. Make the dough thursday evening, use Saturday evening. Use 0.024% IDY in place of the sourdough.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20479.0
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 09:26:23 PM »
I just read an interesting article on the perfect loaf, about how to fit making natural starter bread into a 8-5 working life. 

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/weekend-baking-schedule/

I have a Pizza Party oven on the way, and want to make pizza making a more regular part of my schedule. I think I will be starting with IDY and neapolitan.  My preference is for doing the tasks in the the evening after work rather than in the rush of the morning. Long ferments are fine, I don't mind having to do a step every few days.  Natural starter may be in my future, but I want to focus on the basics first.

Question from a newbie, what is your workingman's pizza schedule?
I do a 7 day cf with a 2 hour rt. 20% levain. Easy to do the dough Sunday morning for next Saturday's pies.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline JayBC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:13:24 PM »
Yeah what he said ^.

You can do room temperature ferments, but it will be a bit of a chore.

For a 24 hour dough, if I finish making the dough at  7:00PM, I'll have to reball at 7:00AM the following morning. Not too bad.
How long does it take for those ovens to reach operating temperature?

I'm hoping to get a better understanding of cold ferments, so that I can time it to suit my schedule. Have you mixed room temp with cold ferments?
I was hoping for something that had a 24 hour bulk ferment, 1-3 day cold ferment that was more flexible on the time of day that I take it out to warm up..

EG
  • Finish dough 7pm room temp ferment (19-20c this time of year)
  • Reball at 7pm next day, then into fridge
  • Take out of fridge at 4  or 5 Saturday, 1-2 hour at room temp, bake.

Here is how I do 48 hour room temp. Make the dough thursday evening, use Saturday evening. Use 0.024% IDY in place of the sourdough.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20479.0

Thanks Craig, I have looked through your thread, which led me down the path of wanting to room temp, or at least 16-18c ferments with the aid of cooler.  But I wasn't sure on how to adapt to IDY. Had it pegged for later experiments if I move to a natural starter.

I do a 7 day cf with a 2 hour rt. 20% levain. Easy to do the dough Sunday morning for next Saturday's pies.

Do you have any threads that detail your method?  Newbie alert!
Thanks

Online Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 10:24:23 PM »
I'm hoping to get a better understanding of cold ferments, so that I can time it to suit my schedule. Have you mixed room temp with cold ferments?
I was hoping for something that had a 24 hour bulk ferment, 1-3 day cold ferment that was more flexible on the time of day that I take it out to warm up..

EG
  • Finish dough 7pm room temp ferment (19-20c this time of year)
  • Reball at 7pm next day, then into fridge
  • Take out of fridge at 4  or 5 Saturday, 1-2 hour at room temp, bake.

Thanks Craig, I have looked through your thread, which led me down the path of wanting to room temp, or at least 16-18c ferments with the aid of cooler.  But I wasn't sure on how to adapt to IDY. Had it pegged for later experiments if I move to a natural starter.

Do you have any threads that detail your method?  Newbie alert!
Thanks

Have I mixed cold and room temperature ferment? Yup, but only as a way of holding to bake it on a later date.

After 12 hours I reball, and toss it in the fridge for however long needed.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 10:54:18 PM »
 For the last few years I go for a 48 window. It seems to work for me. It takes less the 30 minutes to make the dough. If I am using a poolsih, it is still 48 hours. 24 hours for the poolish and 24 hours for the total ferment. Of course it is fun to go out for longer ferment times just to see what happens

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline JayBC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 10:17:52 PM »
Gave this one a shot:
http://www.bakingsteel.com/blog/72-hour-pizza-dough
500 grams (3-3/4c) bread flour

16 grams (2 tsp) fine sea salt

1 gram (1/4 tsp) active dry yeast

350 grams or 1-1/2 cup of water

Forgot that I had bought IDY rather than ADY...until I had completed making the dough. Decided to put the dough in cool basement room at 13C, overnight then into the fridge in the morning 8 hours later. Balled that evening.

Used all purpose flour this time, as I just got my 25kg bag of caputo 00 today...
This was number two, I launched a marinara first, that got a little crispy as I fumbled to turn it! cooked at around 900 floor temp

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:20:43 PM by JayBC »