A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mobile Wood Fired Pizza Buisness  (Read 1591 times)

Offline bomber6490

• I Love Pizza!
Mobile Wood Fired Pizza Buisness
« on: July 29, 2017, 11:21:36 PM »
We just started a Mobile Wood Fired Pizza Buisness, I have a couple of questions for all those with more experience. I have been cooking these pies for about 6.5 years, at home on my blackstone. I built my oven this spring. We are doing a neopolitan style pizza with a 90 second bake time, The following senerio involved a catered event. I have a guy turning and baking the pies, I am opening the dough, and constructing the pies, my wife cuts them and we have a couple of helpers setting them on the display table, ( we fed 145 people the other night) We prep all the ingediants before hand and are making 3 types of pies, My question is, What can we do to speed up the process? We made 65pies in 45 minutes. My oven is about 50 inches internal diameter. Can I have one of my helpers open the dough up before hand, without them drying out? and if so do we store them in a dough proofing box in flour? The reason I ask is that I cant keep up with the oven, He is always waiting for me to get done with my part (I construct 3 pies at a time on seperate wood peels) put them in the oven, go open up 3 more doughs, sauce the doughs, and so forth and so on. Thanks for your help.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Mobile Wood Fired Pizza Buisness
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 12:58:27 AM »
I would not pre-open the skins. They will end up caked in flour or sticking to something. If making the pies is the bottleneck, you probably need two people making pies. The 3rd guy launches/turns/retrieves. With a 50" oven (assuming decent heat balance), you could probably have the 3rd guy launch and a 4th guy turn/retrieve and get up to 5 or even 6 pies in the oven with some practice.

Here is the workflow - start at 0:40:

"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mglazer

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 02:34:17 AM »
Hi bomber6490,

Congratulations on starting your business. I've experienced the need to work faster, too. At the high-volume restaurants where I have worked, we had the following type of system (although each place was a little different):
- 1 person on the oven. This person picked up the pies from the workbench, loaded them in the oven, managed the pies in the oven and them plated them
- Pizza makers. Usually 1-3 people depending on the time of day. They are responsible for opening and dressing the pies.
- Pizza expediter. This person is responsible for cut the pies as well as for managing the post-oven toppings

There are lots of other small things that can have an impact on efficiency. Here is a list of a few of them:
- the process of receiving the orders in the kitchen
- in what order do you make the pies? Sometimes pies from different orders can be dressed at the same time to increase efficiency without any negative impact on when everyone at the same table gets their pies.
- how is the kitchen organized? Keeping certain ingredient close to one another can help. If you have more than 1 pizza maker working at the same time, do they have to reach over each other to make pies? Does one have to wait to take an ingredient while the other is working? How far is it from the workbench where the pies are dressed to the oven? Can the pizza makers work with little or no foot movement? In other words, you might be losing time if you have to, for example, "travel" to open a reach in, then move the dough tray to a counter, and then move again to move a dough ball from the tray to the workbench.
- are other kitchen procedures costing you unnecessary time? For example, if back-up ingredients are stored too far away from the work area, and a pizza maker has to run to get the back ups, then you might be losing time there as well.
- is it possible for you to fit more pies into the oven at one time? I cannot remember the measurements of the ovens at Paulie's and Roberta's, but I do remember I was able to manage 5 in Paulie's at one time and 6 in Roberta's at one time. That took practice though.

I realize this is a bunch of info. I do hope you find at least some of it helpful. Good luck!

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »
I know exactly where you are coming from......You need one opening doughs....one making ......one cooking and one cutting and serving. If doing festival you will need another taking orders and money. Mobile is a little different then a store because you can have extra help but you need the space for them to work. Its not as much of an issue for me because I have a open trailer setup but if you have a truck it can be very difficult with too much help.  We cook at a lower temp and can put 5-6 pies in the oven at a time (its easier for one to manage turning pies).

We can produce 100-110 per hour with our current setup. At smaller events, With three people we average about a pizza per minute so I think you are pretty efficient. Catering events are a challenge at the start of the event when you get that initial crowd of people. I try to talk my clients into appetizers and salads to help with that first rush of people. When the pizza is really good most don't mind waiting!

Tommy G   

Offline bomber6490

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 06:07:51 PM »
Thanks Tommy for your response, we have a trailer setup as well so I have the room for extra help, I like your setup recommendations, we have a big festival coming up, I'm going to tray to make 250-300 pies for a lunch and dinner run, hope we can pull it off. Thanks again for all your responses!!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 10:01:50 AM »
i would get a pizza rack or tree it holds pizzas vertical, 15 per rack. use 12 inch wooden peels stretch and stack.then you can make or have an assistant make,one of the two front end persons.

Offline sharky300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 12:16:56 AM »
Hey all, sorry to barge in on your thread, but this is something we are working on as well... Need more speed!!

When you use these trees, do you just open the skins up, and leave the there, then pull them down and dress as ordered?  Is there a limit of how long you can leave them sitting, before you start to see n gatice results??

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »
yes we leave them we do between 10 to 15. they only sit for 10 minutes max.

Offline Loarina Vega

• I Love Fried Dough Pizza
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »
Interesting thread ...any pics from the Action.
  With pic of  ovens . in them ..and the setups that you're currently working.from events ...   Thanks ....!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:17:43 PM by Loarina Vega »

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »
Sorbillo in Naples has two prep and two on oven

Offline Lil Ralphie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 01:16:16 PM »
We are in the process of starting a mobile oven and took a class in Denver. For festivals or large events we are planning on having a tosser , a topper (he or she would launch the pies also ) a pyro and someone to cut and deliver the pies to the customer and an order taker. We did this at class and it worked well. The wife and I fired the oven saturday for the first time for the neighbors. Was well received but with just the 2 of us they were waiting for pies so you are looking at 5 people total for a large event .
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:21:49 PM by Lil Ralphie »

Offline bomber6490

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 09:54:19 PM »
We have revamped our little pizza rig, we tried it out on Saturday, we made 80 pizzas in 2.5 hours, with just my wife and I, it was a little crazy.

Offline Pizza Baker

• I Love Wood Fired Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 08:55:35 AM »
We have revamped our little pizza rig, we tried it out on Saturday, we made 80 pizzas in 2.5 hours, with just my wife and I, it was a little crazy.
Nice trailer set up. Did you build it?
Jim

Offline bomber6490

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 10:51:44 PM »
Nice trailer set up. Did you build it?
Yes every bit of it, including the oven

Offline bomber6490

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 10:52:56 PM »
Yes, it's been a project, built the oven then the rest of it has evolved around it, hahahaha

wordpress