A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Today's Bread
« Last post by norcoscia on October 15, 2021, 07:04:20 PM »
Looks great Hans, did you make that in a 2 pound Pullman pan? If so could you tell me what your dough weight was? I have a 2 pound pan I have been wanting to try…

PS. Your bread looks so good you should open up a bakery - I guarantee you would make a lot of dough (I crack myself up).

PPS. My wife named our sourdough starter - weirdough  :-)
« Last post by HansB on October 15, 2021, 06:55:54 PM »
Honey-Oat Pain de Mie. Naturally fermented of course! This is really good toasted and for PB&J's.

New York Style / Re: Evolution of the NY Style Pizza (Split Topic)
« Last post by norma427 on October 15, 2021, 06:47:03 PM »
That is amazing information, and news to me. No wonder you gravitated to pizza! How could you not, with that in your family history?

RHawthorne,

Lol,  I didn't have any relatives that made pizza's.  In fact never knew nothing about making pizza's till I joined this forum.  :-D

I am not related to any of the Mastro family.  I just talked with Madeline Mastro Ferrentino, Frank Mastro Ferrentino, and Vinnie Mastro, though phone calls, emails, letters and to Madeline in person one time. 

Madeline Ferrentino. FER Publisher Robin Ashton had written a lovely obituary for Vinnie Guarriello, former executive v.p.-sales at Blodgett-Pitco. It prompted Madeline, his sister-in-law, to write to us; her thoughts provide a neat glimpse into the past.
“My brother-in-law Vincent worked for my father, Frank Mastro, President of Frank Mastro Inc. located at 232-242 Bowery, New York. My father invented the portable gas pizza oven that was manufactured for him by the G.S. Blodgett Corp. in Burlington, Vermont. When the latest model of his pizza oven was manufactured, for which he received royalties, Blodgett asked him to travel for them to show dealers and pizzeria owners how to use his oven to its best advantage. My father was unable to leave his full-service restaurant, hotel and institutional supply business and recommended Vinnie to them instead. So before anyone else, Vinnie sold pizza ovens on the Bowery from about 1939 and into the 1940s for Frank Mastro Inc.” She says credit is due Mr. Brogan at Blodgett who convinced the manufacturer to build the Mastro-designed oven as well as the Brooklyn Union Gas Co. and Robertshaw Controls Co. And, of course, recognition goes to “my father, who spent an inordinate part of his business life promoting pizza as a reasonable adjunct to his customers’ menus during the Great Depression.”
Madeline says her father also worked hard to promote the use of stainless in restaurant kitchens, which wasn’t the norm before 1935. “When I see all of the stainless equipment in restaurants today, I know his message finally got across,” she says. He once offered to sell a stainless refrigerator at cost rather than a white enamel one at full price, just to get it in use. “He never stopped! All of the equipment made by the fabricators on the Bowery—dough retarders, sinks, worktables—he had made out of stainless steel.” He knew it was superior, and he was right.

Vinnie Mastro, is Vinnie (Vincent) Mastro's child.  He was very young when the World's Fair was, where they made pizza.  Vinnie's Mother and father broke up early in their marriage and his Mother raised Vinnie in Boston.  He didn't see his father a lot.

This is Vinnie Mastro.

https://data-lead.com/person/name/Vinnie+Mastro/id/60166308/v/89e6e

Madeline Mastro Ferrentino has since passed.

Norma
Cracker Style / Re: Update to my older Pizza Hut Thin & Crispy Post
« Last post by CookingFiend on October 15, 2021, 06:40:05 PM »
Wow! This was my first attempt making any thin crust pizza. Your updated recipe is very good.  (Apologies that I don't have any pics this time.)  I'll definitely add some when I make this again.

Here's what I did:  I hand-mixed the dough ingredients, let it rest 20-minutes and then processed it in my food processor for about 2 minutes.  Made one big ball that was refrigerated covered for 48 hours in an un-oiled container.  It expanded just a bit, just like you said it would.  When I removed the dough from the refrigerator it was very very hard.  I divided it into two balls and let them rest a room temperature, in covered containers for about 3 hours.  The room temperature dough expanded and became soft and pliable.  Amazing.

I then rolled sections of the dough through my pasta machine. The dough rolled through my pasta machine with ease.  Made one pie with dough sheets that were rolled to the very thinnest pasta roller setting and did a second one rolled to one notch thicker.  The dough sheets were docked and then snuggly placed in the cutter pans overlapping the sections by about ¼-inch and pressing down on the seams.  A rolling pin was used to remove the excess dough from the cutter pan edges.  They were topped, pans were placed on a baking steel for about 10 minutes.  The crust was very thin and cracker-like and delicious (I think the 48-hour cold ferment helped a lot with that).

There was some extra dough which was rolled into two long sections, docked, topped and baked directly on the baking steel.

The only thing I'd do differently next time is to be sure to oil my cutter pans before adding the dough ::)
« Last post by norcoscia on October 15, 2021, 06:05:19 PM »
Anova Oven test loaf #3. This one was cooked on a steel plate preheated in the Anova. It was also cooked 100% in the Anova (My last two were finished on a stone in my home oven). I proofed this one a bit less and only gave it a few stretch and folds (no mixer used). Mixed last night and rested in the refrigerator over night. Removed and placed on counter to proof this AM. Much better spring and lighter crumb, crust was amazing. Making progress figuring out my new oven - more work needed but enjoying the fresh sourdough bread every day and giving half to my neighbors:-)
Neapolitan Style / Re: Da Michele project in my Pizza Party oven
« Last post by billg on October 15, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »
They look fantastic!!!!  The only difference is the size and a tad larger cornicione, but that could just be the photos!
Detroit Style / Re: DSP Help with Higher Volume?
« Last post by Pizza_Not_War on October 15, 2021, 05:39:31 PM »
You can speed things up with a steel on bottom and one as close as possible to broiler. 10 in 20 doubtful. Shuffle pizza between the two steels.
Prep Equipment / Re: First impressions and review of the Famag IM-5S Spiral mixer
« Last post by billg on October 15, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »
I've owned both machines.  The Sunmix is very easy to clean.  Don't let that stop you if that's the one you want.  It literally takes 5 minutes to clean.  Hot water in the bowl covered with a rag for 5 minutes.  Uncover and use a small towel or dishrag to remove any residue, remove excess water and wipe clean.  Easy Peasy!!!!!!
Shop Talk / Re: Back in the New York Groove
« Last post by RHawthorne on October 15, 2021, 05:32:35 PM »
I could be that Andrew is great with food but not with business.  I recall him saying that he wanted to have low-cost slices.   However, you can't have Cadillac ingredients, high NYC overhead and low-prices.  Math is an absolute science, unless you're in government.
I get the impression from watching the videos he put on YouTube that, while he’s definitely very particular about his ingredients, he is also very astute about having the right equipment. I’m not sure that his ingredients were extraordinarily expensive as much as some of the machinery. But it wasn’t a terribly large space and it seemed to be doing quite well, so I can’t see the place not being able to recoup expenses. Who knows?
Shop Talk / Heated pizza holding box
« Last post by Fyre on October 15, 2021, 05:09:52 PM »
What is the ideal temp to set on a heated holding unit?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]