A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 1629023 times)

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #19180 on: September 23, 2021, 10:20:59 PM »
Bar Style cracker thinÖ.

I'd eat that, pepperoni and all.
John

Offline nickyr

« Reply #19181 on: September 24, 2021, 12:28:20 AM »
Bar Style cracker thinÖ.
Looks good! What are the bright white splotches?

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #19182 on: September 24, 2021, 12:39:33 AM »
Looks good! What are the bright white splotches?

Fresh mozz!!
Bob

Offline nickyr

« Reply #19183 on: September 24, 2021, 01:29:59 AM »
Fresh mozz!!
Cool! Iíve never tried that on bar style

Offline Pete_da_Bayer

• I Love pizza and beer!
« Reply #19184 on: September 24, 2021, 04:31:00 AM »
I missed National Pepperoni Pizza Day...
Great looking pizza! Was the dough naturally fermented again?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #19185 on: September 24, 2021, 07:51:58 AM »
Great looking pizza! Was the dough naturally fermented again?

Thanks, this one was a 24 hour room temp using IDY.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19186 on: September 24, 2021, 08:41:36 AM »
I missed National Pepperoni Pizza Day, but it's never too late! And dessert too, Opera Torte.

Gorgeous
I started out with nothing. I have most of it left.

Offline loch

« Reply #19187 on: September 24, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »
I missed National Pepperoni Pizza Day, but it's never too late! And dessert too, Opera Torte.

Both look fantastic, but if I have to pick this morning I'd like the Opera Torte. I admire any baker who has pastry skills since I have none!

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline OhioGuy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19188 on: September 24, 2021, 04:48:00 PM »
Can you tell me what pepperoni you used - it looks really good!!!

I'd love to tell you some artisanal from virgin pigs but it was Hormel cup & crisp. Solid pepperoni.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #19189 on: September 24, 2021, 05:10:32 PM »
I'd love to tell you some artisanal from virgin pigs but it was Hormel cup & crisp. Solid pepperoni.

Yes, pigs that only eat wild hickory nuts while grazing on the sunny side of Mount Vesuvius - Big Bear, before I retired I used to 4 wheel my Bronco up there. Great place and great rock trailsÖ.

Thanks for the infoÖ
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19190 on: September 24, 2021, 06:03:37 PM »
I've been to Big Bear a couple times when I lived in Palm Springs.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline tntpizzasd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19191 on: September 24, 2021, 11:18:04 PM »
Test pies for pizzeria we are opening soon. Corn pie with kalamata, roasted tomato, jalapeŮo cilantro sauce, and ricotta. Other one is bacon, date, ricotta, burrata, balsamic reduction + habanero honey.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19192 on: September 24, 2021, 11:29:46 PM »
I did several things that I don't usually do making this Al Taglio pizza.  20% biga, 48 hours CF, GM AP flour.  The end result was good, but it's not going to convert me from my usual extended direct RT fermentations. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19193 on: September 25, 2021, 01:07:44 AM »
I did several things that I don't usually do making this Al Taglio pizza.  20% biga, 48 hours CF, GM AP flour.  The end result was good, but it's not going to convert me from my usual extended direct RT fermentations.
So what's new here? The biga method? I've been considering doing some preferment experiments for a while myself, but my direct fermentation efforts are usually very satisfying, so I just never get around to it. I often do a 2 stage fermentation with a delayed addition of one ingredient or another (usually salt), but that's just for an hour when I do. I always question how much difference a preferment can really make, when I always conduct at least a 48 hour fermentation anyway. Sounds like maybe you think somewhat along the same lines I do.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline nickyr

Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #19194 on: September 25, 2021, 01:31:40 AM »
Very well done Bellucci sicilian, eggplant bar style with some pan sticking issues, and New York style

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19195 on: September 25, 2021, 09:02:08 AM »
So what's new here? The biga method? I've been considering doing some preferment experiments for a while myself, but my direct fermentation efforts are usually very satisfying, so I just never get around to it. I often do a 2 stage fermentation with a delayed addition of one ingredient or another (usually salt), but that's just for an hour when I do. I always question how much difference a preferment can really make, when I always conduct at least a 48 hour fermentation anyway. Sounds like maybe you think somewhat along the same lines I do.
I usually donít use refrigerators or preferments (biga, poolish).  Itís been many years since Iíve done it, but I want to be like the cool kids on Instagram
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #19196 on: September 25, 2021, 09:07:42 AM »
I usually donít use refrigerators or preferments (biga, poolish).  Itís been many years since Iíve done it, but I want to be like the cool kids on Instagram

:-D
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19197 on: September 25, 2021, 01:17:32 PM »
 Phase 2 of my latest high-ish hydration pizza dough experiment. This last dough ball was fermented for 6 days before use today, and baked in my Ooni Pro oven. This remaining dough ball was definitely more extensible than the first one, used 3 days ago. It was a 330g ball, and I was able to stretch it out to 14" easily, and probably could have gone further out than that.

For this bake session, I created a firewall with some firebricks, because I'm sick of my pizzas getting burnt. I used wood, lump charcoal, and anthracite today. I let it rip for a while, to the point where the baking steel I use on the floor of the oven was giving an infrared thermometer reading in the mid 700s, then let it cool down to about 600 degrees before baking the pie. The fire actually started dying down during the bake (bad timing), so I added another little log to get it flaring back up again.

I don't even remember the last time I made a simple cheese pie, with no other toppings, and I've been meaning to for a while. Sauce was made with Meijer store brand crushed organic tomatoes, with some Mutti passata added to thin it down and make it more spreadable. I used a few fresh basil leaves from the garden and some Calabrian dried wild oregano under the cheese, which was the Primo Gusto brand LMPS mozz/provolone/muenster blend, with some Belgoioso American Grana added first.  I wasn't blown away with PG cheese blend the last time I used it, but I have to say that with no other toppings to obscure the flavor of the cheese, it was pretty satisfying. I don't think the muenster is doing much for it, but the provolone in the mix adds a little of that aged/salty/twangy flavor I like.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied, and I think I'll be staying at the 64% hydration level for at least a little while. For my next cheese experiment, I'm thinking about picking up a little tub of whatever fresh mozz I can get in the stores in my town and adding a touch of vinegar a day before use, to give it a little of that funky twang that my locally available brands are always missing. Any input on that idea or any other expressed in this post is always welcome.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19198 on: September 25, 2021, 03:01:14 PM »
Went for plain cheese this time.
"Tried" to stuff the crust with Muenster.
Used Muenster because it is one of our "snack" cheeses and happened to be in the fridge.
As you can see, that process need a lot of work if I try again.   ;D
Didn't seal the flap and the cheese ran out.
Need to use small chunks rather than strips of cheese as well. Might be able to get a little more round looking.

Overall it was really good. Nice thin/crisp crust and the Muenster tasted really good.
Will have to try a pizza with just Muenster instead of the Mozz/Prov I usually use.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19199 on: September 26, 2021, 12:27:37 PM »
Phase 2 of my latest high-ish hydration pizza dough experiment.
Looking good! If youíre at Meijer anyway, try an 8 oz bag of their shredded whole milk mozz. I have been using it for a year and love it. Typically, I use white cheddar and parm too - Iím only suggesting try the WM in place of your current mozz. I donít know how it does at 600-700į yet but will be using that oven more in the next several weeks.
-Tony