A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Lucali; has anyone come close?  (Read 88948 times)

Offline hotsawce

Re: Lucali; has anyone come close?
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2017, 11:53:21 AM »
http://slice.seriouseats.com/images/2012/02/3T5D3856.jpg

Crazy up skirt shot. Interestingly enough, the closest wood fired pie I've had to lucali was Bianco in Phoenix. I think it's the bake time that makes the texture similar (Bianco's dough also didn't look all that wet.) Also the malted flour, and just salt water and yeast. But those crazy flat bubbles on the lucali pie are different.

I really do wonder what makes the Lucali crust so unique in its appearance. There really isn't another place that has a crust like ot

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »
It looks like a flour tortilla.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 09:32:22 PM »
I also think the only "top shelf" ingredients they use is the buffalo mozz. I'm honestly okay with that (I find my favorite pizzas aren't always made with what many people consider the best of the best.)

I know they use all trumps bromated, red lettered flour. I "think" the buffalo mozz is from Lioni. I assume the low moisture mozz and tomatoes are from a standard pizzeria supplier.

I'll be going back to Lucali or Giuseppina next weekend. I might time a bake again or ask for a dough ball to go. The bake time (like bianco) in combination with the malted flour is enough for a crisp pie without destroying the mozzarella. It's a sweet spot I think.

I agree, it's a tasty pizza they definitely use top shelf ingredients.  imo, 0.08 TF will be thinner than Beddia if you roll it with a bottle first.   You're compressing the dough and the wet sauce viscosity and the cheese kills any rise in the middle.  Crumb structure in the middle is tight.

It's "poorly made"  dough on purpose.  Americans associate bumps, bubbles, and "defects" as "artisan" style wheras a European baker would get fired for that.  It's something that's embedded within American psyche when it comes to food, like serving entrees on a "rustic" wood plank.

HarryHaller73

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 10:37:31 PM »
Lucali is 3 cheeses.  Topped with Lioni buffalo mozzarella and sliced Caprese style low moisture mozzarella (the type you find on NY Margheritas) and into the oven.  Pie is finished with big grates of 2 yr Grana Padano Stravecchio, Ligurian basil and olive oil a kind of homage to Di Fara. 

I also think the only "top shelf" ingredients they use is the buffalo mozz. I'm honestly okay with that (I find my favorite pizzas aren't always made with what many people consider the best of the best.)

I know they use all trumps bromated, red lettered flour. I "think" the buffalo mozz is from Lioni. I assume the low moisture mozz and tomatoes are from a standard pizzeria supplier.

I'll be going back to Lucali or Giuseppina next weekend. I might time a bake again or ask for a dough ball to go. The bake time (like bianco) in combination with the malted flour is enough for a crisp pie without destroying the mozzarella. It's a sweet spot I think.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:43:49 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2017, 12:55:29 AM »
Sauce is cooked for 5 hours; garlic, olive oil, fresh basil, salt, and pepper. Milled canned whole peeled tomatoes.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2017, 01:02:58 PM »
I'm not sure if I buy the 5 hour thing, but those are definitely the ingredients in the sauce. The tomatoes aren't anything special.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2017, 01:38:29 PM »
I'm not sure if I buy the 5 hour thing, but those are definitely the ingredients in the sauce. The tomatoes aren't anything special.

It's still cooked though, right? Seems like basically a marinara. Mark said 5 hours in a Food Network clip, never had the pizza so I can't say.
The way they build the pizzas is really cool.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »
It's definitely cooked, and in many cases it goes on the pizza warm. That being said, if I cook a sauce more than 30 minutes it starts to get really thick in a bad way....his sauce is cooked but its not chunky like a marinara...it's still pretty thin and smooth and flows nicely like if you were to just food mill a can of tomatoes and the juices. It's also not blended or milled after cooking because there's whole pieces of garlic and basil in it.

It's still cooked though, right? Seems like basically a marinara. Mark said 5 hours in a Food Network clip, never had the pizza so I can't say.
The way they build the pizzas is really cool.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2017, 05:19:52 PM »
It's definitely cooked, and in many cases it goes on the pizza warm. That being said, if I cook a sauce more than 30 minutes it starts to get really thick in a bad way....his sauce is cooked but its not chunky like a marinara...it's still pretty thin and smooth and flows nicely like if you were to just food mill a can of tomatoes and the juices. It's also not blended or milled after cooking because there's whole pieces of garlic and basil in it.

Yeah it looks really thin, that's why I was surprised to hear him say 5 hours. It might be warm for 5 hours but it seems super thin to have actually been simmering for that long. This is the clip I was referencing, like you say he mills the tomatoes first before cooking.

Offline tsalvino25

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2017, 03:09:59 PM »
My first attempt using almost the same recipe as Gianni5...although this is made with a home oven. I will add sugar next time in hopes to get better color on the crust. But the taste is phenomenal.

HarryHaller73

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2017, 03:34:48 PM »
My first attempt using almost the same recipe as Gianni5...although this is made with a home oven. I will add sugar next time in hopes to get better color on the crust. But the taste is phenomenal.

Looks good, seems like you're on the right path.

Offline 30grantw

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
My Lucali replica from today. Cooked in a Pavesei at 725 for 2.5 minutes. Was ok but not quite what i thought it be.
Grant Williams

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2018, 08:49:28 PM »
Lou, I'll be interested in that bake time and temp...are we talking  mid 600's for 4-ish  minutes?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2018, 08:50:14 PM »
My Lucali replica from today. Cooked in a Pavesei at 725 for 2.5 minutes. Was ok but not quite what i thought it be.

Did you roll out the dough?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2018, 09:14:17 PM »
Lucali/Giuseppina's still makes my favorite pie - despite the supposed bad technique at every turn.

I routinely time their pizzas around 3 minutes. I actually had a pie last night that was timed at 2:50. The oven was rocking (they just tossed some wood in) and, surprisingly, the top was really not cooked that heavily. I wonder why that is. They don't get any leopard spotting, or bubbles that pop out - it's almost always a uniformly greyish-charcoal color.

It's actually not a super thin pie - I noticed the center of my slices was probably just a little thinner than a slice from Joe's. And the bottom isn't super crisp, either. There are some crisp spots here and there but there's also some softer areas - not unpleasant in any way, but just an observation.

Also, the sauce is almost always applied hot.

Offline 30grantw

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2018, 11:44:58 PM »
Dough was rolled with a straight rolling pin. Supposed to be 0.07 TF at 16". Oven was 725-750 for 2m 30s bake. Was good but crust was only a 24 hour cf, the yeast amount i used would fit 48hr better. The oven is gas powered without any wood. I never thought I'd prefer my new york and bar pies cooked at 550-600. I guess maybe I like crisper doughs.
Grant Williams

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2018, 12:30:48 PM »
 lucali's pizza is very good. the use of a warm garlic infused tomato sauce and high quality ingredients is what makes this pie. the crust is crisp bubbly  around the edges. probably caused by the rolling pin method used for the pre-stretch. it has perfect balance. another thing that they do is sprinkle panko bread crumbs on the metal serving pan which seem to keep the pizza crisp.
 that pizza video that David Chang did on lucali's has made a hard to get into pizzeria even harder to visit.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2018, 02:13:42 PM »
Too bad no one knows about his brother's spot...

lucali's pizza is very good. the use of a warm garlic infused tomato sauce and high quality ingredients is what makes this pie. the crust is crisp bubbly  around the edges. probably caused by the rolling pin method used for the pre-stretch. it has perfect balance. another thing that they do is sprinkle panko bread crumbs on the metal serving pan which seem to keep the pizza crisp.
 that pizza video that David Chang did on lucali's has made a hard to get into pizzeria even harder to visit.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2018, 07:10:53 PM »
And....we still don't LOL. Gonna tell us, Lou?

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2018, 07:17:14 PM »
His brothers place is Giuseppina's

wordpress