A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anyone use a standing mixer for NY Style?  (Read 1166 times)

Offline PizzaSean

Re: Anyone use a standing mixer for NY Style?
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2021, 06:39:34 PM »
RHawthorne,

Thanks!  I had Covid in January of this year, and still am having some after effects, but am doing okay. 

As far as flours go, my normal go to flours have been GM Full Strength, Occident, Kyrol and All Trumps.  Of course they are all bromated, but any good bread flour seems to work well.  Of course a good oven, paired with knowing how your dough should feel coming out of mixer, balling and also when it is ready to use, goes a long way. Knowing when to drop or raise hydration also helps.

Norma

I'm glad to hear that you are doing okay, Norma! I am sorry to hear about the after effects though.

I'm curious - what clues do you look for in the dough when you say "knowing when to drop or raise hydration also helps"?

Sean

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2021, 08:42:11 AM »
I'm glad to hear that you are doing okay, Norma! I am sorry to hear about the after effects though.

I'm curious - what clues do you look for in the dough when you say "knowing when to drop or raise hydration also helps"?

Sean

Sean,

Thanks!

Usually when making the normal doughs at market, could tell when the Hobart was doing the initial mix, if the water was about the right amount of not.  That usually was before the oil was added to the NY style doughs.  Could almost know if the initial mix needed more water added or not.  Really couldn't understand how the same flour could change so much in how much hydration was needed, but understand how the same flour can change in different ways.  The humidity and other variables at market also changed how much hydration might be needed.

When I was mixing higher hydration Detroit style doughs, could usually adjust, by doing stretch and folds, or adding more flour and doing stretch and folds, or even adding flour when balling.

Norma

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2021, 10:33:55 AM »
I just tried my first NY style 64% hydration dough in the kitchenaid standing mixer. I am using my same typical formula which i normally have great results with when i knead it by hand. Kneaded for 5 minutes on "Stir", slowest speed, with the dough hook. I let it sit at RT, balled, for 45 minutes and then put it in the fridge. I did a CF for 24 hours and i hand stretched my pizza as usual, baked it on stone as usual, but it was a really tough and chewy pizza. I am guessing it was overkneaded?

Anyone have any tips on making NY style pizzas in the kitchenaid besides "don't do it?" . Thanks!

santo, i wonder if you might have forgotten to add yeast or if the yeast may have been dead? do you recall if there were bubbles on the bottom of the dough ball? for reference, norma’s post contains a photo of a well-fermented dough ball.

best,
jeff

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2021, 09:12:30 PM »
Sean,

Thanks!

Usually when making the normal doughs at market, could tell when the Hobart was doing the initial mix, if the water was about the right amount of not.  That usually was before the oil was added to the NY style doughs.  Could almost know if the initial mix needed more water added or not.  Really couldn't understand how the same flour could change so much in how much hydration was needed, but understand how the same flour can change in different ways.  The humidity and other variables at market also changed how much hydration might be needed.

When I was mixing higher hydration Detroit style doughs, could usually adjust, by doing stretch and folds, or adding more flour and doing stretch and folds, or even adding flour when balling.

Norma

Ah that is very interesting to hear how you could monitor the dough for how the hydration was during the mix! Thank you for sharing that about the NY and Detroit style doughs.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress