A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Lou's Tomatoes....and stuff  (Read 614 times)

Offline saucelord

• Pizza Forever
Lou's Tomatoes....and stuff
« on: June 05, 2021, 09:45:50 PM »
Back in Chicagoland for a bit and hitting all the spots. Had Lou's out in Schaumburg tonight. Awesome as always. Actually worked there for Christmas break in 1989 as a busboy. I had no interest in cooking at the time so couldn't care less what was going on in the kitchen. I do remember seeing those huge mixers in the basement that I now know are just good 'ole Hobarts. Anyhow after eating I got to thinking and was poking around and around found this video on the Lou's site:

https://www.loumalnatis.com/blog/lous-ingredients-series-tomatoes/

Check out mark 0.55 and 1:02

What's in the background? Two different posters for San Benito tomatoes in the tasting lab! Additionally at mark 2:36 you see those yellow cans they used to or still use and on the can it says Hollister, Ca which is where San Benito is located, not Modesto.

More tidbits: if you check out mark 2:05 to 2:10 you'll see the boxes being prepared for shipping. It's hard to see but says "something something" of tomatoes with added tomato Puree. Also just below in the comment section someone states they recently found out they were allergic to garlic and onions and was wondering if the sauce contained them and on June 12, 2017 Lou Malnati's replies, "Hello Ellen, our pizza sauce does not contain garlic or onions." After tasting it again finally I have a feeling they don't add anything to the tomatoes or maybe just salt (prolly a hit of sugar too.) Does anyone have the ingredient list of that can?

There's also a dough video that you get to see some good close up shots of the dough.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 09:18:33 AM by saucelord »
There are those of you that have merely adopted the pizza. I was born into it...molded by it.

Offline PizzaGarage

Re: Lou's Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 10:25:49 PM »
Lou’s does use San Benito.  And it’s all hyped up like only his tomatoes are vine ripened and backed fresh.  It’s San Benito
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 10:29:48 PM by PizzaGarage »

Offline saucelord

• Pizza Forever
Re: Lou's Tomatoes....and stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 09:21:50 AM »
Ok Pt2...

:P

There are those of you that have merely adopted the pizza. I was born into it...molded by it.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 11:35:43 AM »
What does "pan" mean in this context? 

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 03:36:45 PM »
Those are from Battaglia on Ashland in Chicago, it’s a rebranded products with Battaglia “ Chicago Style” brand.  In their ordering catalog many of the Chicago pizza places have their own SKU listed so it can be ordered quickly.  The cheese is mozzarella with a certain percentage of fat listed in the catalog, I would have to snap a pic of that.  I was not aware that Battaglia might be making the sausage too.  Sausage is made down the street in Ashland ( as of a couple years ago) and it’s their own operation.  Most of the big 10 Chicago places goto Anichini for their sausage.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 03:41:51 PM »
Forgot to add, on the outside of the box there is a 9 or 10 digit “plant code” do you have the box?  The plant code will indicate which plant ( and they are all listed for Wisconsin) it came from.  You can buy the Chicago Style at their retail store but that does not mean it’s the same product.  The plant code determines which plant and can be crossed referenced to the manufacturer. 

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 03:56:09 PM »
It’s 2.6 percent.  Now whole is 3.25, reduced fat is 2.0, low-fat is 1.0 and skim is .5.  So it’s a combination made for them at a plant. Called Chicago Style Red
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 03:58:16 PM by PizzaGarage »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 04:14:23 PM »
Forgot to add, on the outside of the box there is a 9 or 10 digit “plant code” do you have the box?  The plant code will indicate which plant ( and they are all listed for Wisconsin) it came from.  You can buy the Chicago Style at their retail store but that does not mean it’s the same product.  The plant code determines which plant and can be crossed referenced to the manufacturer.

The USDA Plant Est. 6867 is right there on the label.  Battaglia must make it in house.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 04:19:06 PM »
On a side note, see the flour bag.  At the bottom left hand side is a hand print which had oil on it.  The bag was held while dumping into the mixer.  Indicates that oil is placed in the mixer before the flour as opposed to after.  So like traditional pan dough oil is added to the water, flour then yeast.  No delayed oil.  A guess but it’s interesting....

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 04:37:01 PM »
The USDA Plant Est. 6867 is right there on the label.  Battaglia must make it in house.

I was talking about the Cheese but that was not clear.  M6867 is Battaglia for the sausage.

Offline saucelord

• Pizza Forever
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 07:13:31 PM »
Hey thanks for the additional info!

I was just poking around in the dumpster. I don't know what that pan means it threw me for a loop too. However, I did see several of these boxes and lots of those bags of flour. This Battaglia Foodservice must be a huge player in Chicagoland pizza. I hit up Barnaby's Northbrook today and noticed a can of Puree I've never seen before called "Chicago Style California Tomato Puree Extra heavy." I did a search and it's a Battaglia brand as well. So much more variety in products than what Ive found in N. California even at the distro level. The pizza is SO good here in Chicagoland. I miss it so much.

Also re: the grease on the bag. I do think that may have been some residue from something in the dumpster.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 07:26:15 PM by saucelord »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 07:42:14 PM »
Can anyone walk into their store and buy these products--and in home consumer sizes? 

Offline Cogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2021, 08:12:05 PM »
Pan may mean no casing?

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2021, 09:04:55 PM »
What does "pan" mean in this context?

Good question.

Maybe it means sausage for pan pizza?
If I were providing sausage for pan pizza, I'd want it to be leaner than the normal sausage to cut down on the grease.
-- Ed Heller - aka VCB (virtual cheeseburger)
-- Real Deep Dish Dot Com
https://www.realdeepdish.com/
https://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
https://www.twitter.com/RDDpizza

Help Me Pay the Bills:
https://paypal.me/edheller
https://cash.app/realdeepdish (or use the CashApp mobile app)

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
https://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 12:08:11 AM »
Can anyone walk into their store and buy these products--and in home consumer sizes?

Commercial sizes, but you can buy a single block of cheese, outside of that all commercial size.

Offline saucelord

• Pizza Forever
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 01:29:50 PM »
I called Battaglia this morning and spoke to two folks. One was like the ‘retail’ consumer guy and he said they do willcall for the public but they don’t break cases for all products especially meats. I asked about the ‘pan sausage’ and he transferred me to the foodservice guy Brian. He was like, ‘That’s sausage for deep dish’. I was like, but it’s says ‘pan’. He replied ‘well ya know pan-deepdish. You typically want to press the sausage down in the pan. We use a finer grind for that product.” I was like, “a finer grind and maybe a different fat content.’ And he was like yeah.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:31:35 PM by saucelord »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 05:02:48 PM »
They have 1 Yelp review from 9 days ago.  Seems promising.