A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 100% cheddar thread  (Read 1498 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
100% cheddar thread
« on: July 27, 2021, 01:21:28 AM »
it seems to me norma’s success winning the caputo cup with 100 per cent cheddar has largely gone ignored in terms of adoption both here and in the industry. this thread will document my experiments with 100 per cent cheddar pies.

first up is  cabot seriously sharp with sweet capicola. i typically use this cheese in a 50-50 mozz/cheddar blend but at 100 per cent, i found the sharpness of the cheese overpowered the sauce and topping.
jeff

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: 100% cheddar thread
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 01:27:52 AM »
Cabot seems to be trying to get market share in Oregon and is quite a bit less money than local Tillamook. I've used several packages and don't find it to be all that sharp to my tastebuds. I like it on pizza.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 01:30:41 AM »
interesting, have you tried the seriously sharp?
jeff

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 01:37:54 AM »
Yes and it isn't anywhere as sharp as the Tillamook wedge that Costco often has. In college I used to keep a big chunk of Vermont cheddar in my dorm room closet. I got used to some smelly sharp cheese or maybe my unwashed 🧦.

We just had some Seriously sharp with fish tacos yesterday, worked well with Halibut.

Offline chrisgraff

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 01:30:32 PM »
Not cheddar, per se, but Beemster makes excellent cheeses worth considering. I like mixing 10-15% of the 18 month aged “Classic” gouda with whatever mozz. I’m using. It’s almost right in between cheddar and parm.

https://beemstercheese.us/cheese-varieties

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 03:28:04 PM »
thanks chris, we moved to Amsterdam for a year for a project, the cheese (and accessibility to Belgian beer/chocolate) was just incredible. we love beemster or really any aged gouda, great idea(!),  looking forward to trying it on pizza.

best,
jeff

Offline Dasnyde4

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 12:07:25 AM »
Do we know what type Norma used in her win?

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 04:47:37 PM »
Interested to see where this thread goes QD! I use about 60% cheddar on my pan pizzas and really like it. At Norma's suggestion I use mostly Cracker Barrel (with a small amount of Cabot or Tillamook mixed in). I suspect you may not like it, but it's interesting for me, I wouldnt eat the Cracker Barrel normally, it tastes off compared to Cabot or Tillamook, but it just seems to work for me melted with mozz.

I tried once to put some cheddar on a NY pie (inspired by a New England chain Papa Gino's) and it wasnt for me. I decided to keep cheddar for pan pizza only.

While it's not used in NY, 100% cheddar is NJ (and DE) boardwalk pizza, make sure you check out that thread. I think that's what inspired Norma. The boardwalk cheddar is very mild, most people wouldnt know its not mozz. But there's an extra bit of flavor (and grease) that you get without romano/parm.
Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 06:50:54 PM »
The boardwalk cheddar is very mild, most people wouldnt know its not mozz.

That's the key.
John

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 06:54:58 PM »

I think it was Mullins mild white cheddar if I'm not mistaken.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 07:04:07 PM »
I think it was Mullins mild white cheddar if I'm not mistaken.

Nice one! See below.

Tin Roof,

Yes, Frank put all white cheddar on those pies he was making.  The cheddar I use melts like mozzarella, strings like mozzarella, but oils off a little more than mozzarella.  That is because of the higher butter fat content of cheddar.  In my opinion it tastes better than mozzarella.  I have many customers that say they really like the mozzarella I use.  Little do they know that I use all cheddar.  :-D I search for the right cheddar for about 3 years.  The cheddar I use is Mullins http://www.mullinscheese.com/ but it can't be purchased at that website.  I called a local pizzeria that I had liked their cheese for a long while to find out what kind of cheddar they used.  I was lucky that the pizzeria owner told me where he purchased his cheddar. 

The photos of the Pelican Head and the big block of cheddar are below.

I will ask Frank about your questions, and will tell him you really enjoyed watching him stretch the dough out with oil on the one side of the dough ball.  Frank makes opening a dough ball look so easy.  His skins are always even with no thin spots.

Norma
Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 01:17:48 AM »
Interested to see where this thread goes QD! I use about 60% cheddar on my pan pizzas and really like it. At Norma's suggestion I use mostly Cracker Barrel (with a small amount of Cabot or Tillamook mixed in). I suspect you may not like it, but it's interesting for me, I wouldnt eat the Cracker Barrel normally, it tastes off compared to Cabot or Tillamook, but it just seems to work for me melted with mozz.

I tried once to put some cheddar on a NY pie (inspired by a New England chain Papa Gino's) and it wasnt for me. I decided to keep cheddar for pan pizza only.

While it's not used in NY, 100% cheddar is NJ (and DE) boardwalk pizza, make sure you check out that thread. I think that's what inspired Norma. The boardwalk cheddar is very mild, most people wouldnt know its not mozz. But there's an extra bit of flavor (and grease) that you get without romano/parm.

thanks matt, on norma’s suggestion i have tried cracker barrel mixed with mozz, but i wanted something a little sharper and ended up w cabot. i’m thinking next bake i’ll try 100 per cent cracker barrel. between bjs and our local grocery story, i should be able to try 10-15 cheddars over the life of this thread…

not to digress too much but had a can of alta cucina from rd and tried your method of adding the juice from the can after straining the tomatoes. much thinner than scalfani but not sure anyone could tell the difference post-bake.  in the end i like scalfani a little more and they are (well, were, pre-pandemic) so much easier to source at our local grocery stores.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 01:24:56 AM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 01:34:54 AM »
I've been really happy with the Costal 15 month aged cheddar from Costco, as an addition to mozzarella or provolone, I think it's way to strong for much over 25%.

Ira

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 06:47:02 AM »

not to digress too much but had a can of alta cucina from rd and tried your method of adding the juice from the can after straining the tomatoes.

What do you mean by 'straining'? My method is to pour the whole can (everything except for the basil) into a food mill and use a fine plate. It comes out one thin consistency.

I don't remember how you use the Sclafani, but I think you strain them? If that's the case then I agree that the difference in consistency vs Alta won't be as great.
Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 08:48:34 AM »
What do you mean by 'straining'? My method is to pour the whole can (everything except for the basil) into a food mill and use a fine plate. It comes out one thin consistency.

I don't remember how you use the Sclafani, but I think you strain them? If that's the case then I agree that the difference in consistency vs Alta won't be as great.

Why not the basil?
John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 10:20:31 AM »

Why not the basil?

When I've tasted the basil directly from the can in the past it seemed to have no flavor left after sitting in the can. Disagree?

Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2021, 11:41:12 AM »

matt, i pushed the tomatoes through a fine metal strainer with the back of a wooden spoon. i believe i recall you did the same thing before you started using the food mill.
jeff

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 01:23:45 AM »
When I've tasted the basil directly from the can in the past it seemed to have no flavor left after sitting in the can. Disagree?

No.  So why bother removing it?
John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 08:21:13 AM »
No.  So why bother removing it?

I see leaving it in kindof Ike tossing in brown tissue paper. It doesn't add to the flavor and detracts from the look. (Actually, more like accidentally dropping in the brown tissue paper, but then not taking it out.)

Most importantly it's simple to remove as I add the tomato to the mill. Very different from when I first started out and would remove the seeds by hand. That was crazy. Very tedious and had no idea whether it'd make a difference.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 08:33:48 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 09:14:30 PM »

It was Mullins cheddar.

Norma