A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Second attempt at Giordano's-style Stuffed Pizza  (Read 515 times)

Offline macnmotion

• I Love Pizza!
Second attempt at Giordano's-style Stuffed Pizza
« on: May 04, 2021, 06:27:00 AM »
Hi. This is our second attempt at making a Giordano's-style stuffed  pizza, stuffed with sausage and spinach. I've never been to Chicago, and never eaten a Chicago pizza. I live in Bangkok, and a friend here from Chicago got me excited to attempt this. Today's pizza is the result of research, experimentation and my friend's help and input.

In all, he rated this a solid B. We obviously have a lot of room for improvement, for example creating a better seam where the top and bottom dough layers meet so that they don't come apart.

My dough was based on a Giordano's copycat recipe I found online, and my sauce is a deep dish sauce I found online that I like. I obviously have no idea if the sauce tastes like Giordano's -- which is why I'm calling this a Giordano's-style pizza.

I'm attaching a string of photos chronicling the process. Here are descriptions for the photos:

• Close up view, ready for serving.
  • A slice of perfection? Almost! Very happy for the most part with the crust, except for some separation where the top and bottom layers met.
  • A liberal amount of clarified butter in the cast iron pan, adding flavor and crunch without moisture.
  • A dusting of grated parmesan cheese to create a flavorful crust on the bottom and sides of the pizza.
  • Baby spinach on top of a layer of homemade sausage (I forgot to take a photo of the sausage layer).
  • We sandwiched a layer of shredded mozzarella and provolone between 2 layers of sliced low moisture mozzarella. In all, about 1-1/2 lbs of cheese in this 10" pie.
  • Top dough layer added to separate cheese from sauce, with slits to prevent bubbling.
  • The sauce layer. Topped with a decoration of baby spinach and sausage to indicate the fillings.

... Continued with more photos on first reply
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:49:45 AM by macnmotion »

Offline macnmotion

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Second attempt at Giordano's-style Stuffed Pizza
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 06:28:18 AM »
Here are the rest of the photos ...

• Fresh out of the oven.
  • Topped with grated parmesan.
  • Pulling the first piece.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 07:22:34 AM »
Looks awesome!

How did you like it?

Offline macnmotion

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 07:48:58 AM »
Looks awesome!

How did you like it?

Thanks. It was really delicious. The crust had a biscuit feel to it. The only regret is that we let it set for about 7 or 8 minutes out of the oven so it wasn't as hot as I would have liked. I was worried about that much cheese, so I thought some time to set would be a good idea.

Offline PizzaManG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 06:42:30 PM »
Curious if you have any pictures of the underside of the pizza? Just want to see how the heat transferred in comparison to the rest of the pie. Also did you cook it on a stone or just the oven rack. Looks like your off to a good start for never having experienced a stuffed pizza. Well now you have, welcome to the club :)
Pizza Man G

Offline macnmotion

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 08:38:53 PM »
Curious if you have any pictures of the underside of the pizza? Just want to see how the heat transferred in comparison to the rest of the pie. Also did you cook it on a stone or just the oven rack. Looks like your off to a good start for never having experienced a stuffed pizza. Well now you have, welcome to the club :)

We did look at the bottom but by that time we were eating and I had set the phone down. The bottom was nearly as brown and crispy as the sides.

No stone or steel was used. The cast iron pan is a restored Griswold, so it's on the thinner side and didn't take too long to heat up. We used a lot of clarified butter in the pan, which contains no water, so that didn't slow down the browning and probably helped. The pan was nearer the bottom of the oven than the top. The grated parmesan dusting the pan worked with the clarified butter to caramelize and add to the color and crust. Look at this photo, you can see a little of that caramelized parmesan on the side of the pizza. The bottom had a lot more, and much of the bottom looked golden and glossy. When we ate bits of the bottom crust left in the pan after our miserable attempt to get the pizza out, it had a great parmesan flavor.

Offline politon

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 12:37:04 PM »
Giordano's provides a recipe and instructions here:
https://giordanos.com/how-to-make-the-perfect-chicago-style-pizza/

Hope that helps.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 11:21:57 PM »
Giordano's provides a recipe and instructions here:
https://giordanos.com/how-to-make-the-perfect-chicago-style-pizza/

Hope that helps.

Not recommended.  They're not giving away their actual recipe.  The 1/2 c of cornmeal is the tipoff: there is no cornmeal in the dough.

wordpress