A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Modernist Recipe Artisan Pizza  (Read 825 times)

Offline pjs5456a

• I Love Pizza!
Modernist Recipe Artisan Pizza
« on: April 01, 2022, 12:34:12 PM »
One of Modernist artisan pizzas for the home oven with a baking steel is detailed on Dorie Greenspan’s site including ingredient amounts.  This article was linked in the Modernist Facebook page.

Anyone tried this one yet? I’ve been impressed with Francisco and a virtual session with Francisco a few months ago at the 92Y.

As I look through the recipe details, seek your thoughts

O hydration is 76.8%.  That seems high to me.  How does it handle?

O they suggest a 13-14% bread flour plus some diastolic malt powder.  Should I use King Arthur Bread flour at 12.7 or King Arthur Sir Lancelot at 14.2%?

O they mix in a stand mixer until full
Gluten development on medium speed.  In this recipe made by Dorrie’s husband, he used a Kitchen Aid series 5 mixer at medium speed (I assume speed 2) and said depending on the flour used it can take up to 30 minutes to achieve windowpane.  No mention of dough temp but wouldn’t 30 min at speed 2 likely be well above dough temp 80F.  Should you take breaks to let it cool down?  What’s the maximum dough temperature that’s ok during mixing?

Thanks

https://doriegreenspan.bulletin.com/pizza/

Offline pgpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Modernist Recipe Artisan Pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 03:12:53 PM »
My NY dough usually is in the 73-75% hydration range.  When I ball it, it can be a tiny bit sticky but not enough to leave dough on my hands.  When I stretch the dough I do use bench flour then I lightly flour and sprinkle semolina the peel for a clean launch.  Tom Lehmann suggested that the final dough temp after mixing fall between 70-75F, but honestly I never check the temperature of my dough after mixing.  My NY dough gets mixed for about 15 minutes, so 30 mins does sound long to me.  Like all recipes, people adjust dough recipes to their liking. So maybe give their recipe a go and see if you like how it handles and tastes.

Scott

Offline empo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 07:22:14 AM »
This is my first post-introduction post on this forum   :)

I actually baked some of these.  I use the modernist recipe with poolish, but I chose to exclude the dough relaxer since I don't had any available. The flour I used this time became a mix of 3 different ones since it was what was left in 3 different Italian flour bags. I also used some pure (well... 80%) vital wheat gluten to spruce up the protein level to what the recipe demands. The rest was included as written: pectin, malt etc.

I ran it in a stand mixer for a few minutes, but after that I let it rest for ~20min and folded it a few times to get to that window pane level of gluten development. I didn't check any dough temperatures either.

After balling and cold proofing for 24h, this is how my pizza came out of a basic home oven that won't exceed 250C.

The oven was preheated for ~1h, and the last 15min with the broiler. (the pizza steel is ~10cm below the heating element).  After a broiler cycle was complete, I launched the pizza on a pizza screen on top of the steel, and immediately turned down the temperature of the oven to ~210C so the heating element won't turn on and burn the pizza. 3-4 min later, I took out the pizza to remove the screen and re-launch it. ~3min later with the broiler and temp turned to max for the last minute, this is how my pizza looks.

The oven-handling is very specific to my oven, and may not translate at all to others, but if I don't do it this way, the cheese would seperate into an oily mess or the bottom would be black on some parts etc.  So I always do my NY/Artisan pizzas this way.

Oh, I forgot to mention, my dough balls are quite light weight since I prefer not to be stuffed after eating a pizza. I use ~210g dough balls which I stretch out over a ~32cm pizza screen. The result is a crispy outer layer, with a chewy inside. It is also very easy to handle. :)

Hope you got something out of this post :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 07:31:35 AM by empo »

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 10:38:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I hope you will continue to post. You may wish to begin a new top such as “empo’s pizza journey” where you could document your progress and others could follow along.
-Tony

Offline Samson

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 10:43:06 AM »
I started out with the modernist recipes and in hindsight wish I hadn't. They give such precise measurements for every ingredient it gave me the false impression that those exact recipes or techniques would create a great pizza. But as a beginner there were so many other important things I needed to learn and master first before it really made any sense to attempt one of their recipes.

Offline jenea

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 11:57:07 AM »
i am going to pick up the recipe book from this series today from the library. will be interesting to see how it differs from much cheaper books and is it worth it. gotta say that I have learned a lot more detailed things regarding pizza from this site than any pizza cookbook. but will give a few of the recipes a try just because..

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 12:20:18 PM »
The dough recipes in the books haven't had any effect on the way I make pizza. But the sauces and toppings are now part of my arsenal.

wordpress