A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Clarification of this formula please  (Read 537 times)

Offline JRLowey

• I Love Pizza!
Clarification of this formula please
« on: August 26, 2022, 12:50:34 PM »
Hello,

I am wanting to try Mr Lehmann's Regular Hamburger Bun formula.

I don't understand the percentages listed under SPONGE and DOUGH.

Is the sugar, salt, oil and yeast calculated on the total flour weight or weights of the flours listed under SPONGE and DOUGH?

I understand Mr. Lehmann is no longer with us RIP. I'm hoping someone here can answer this for me...

Regular burger buns:

Sponge:
Flour: 80% (strong bread flour)
Water: 55% of the sponge flour weight.
Compressed Yeast: 3%
Mix together for 5-minutes (target temperature is 75F/23.9C).
Allow to ferment for 3.5 to 4-hours.

Dough:
Flour: 20% (strong bread flour)
Salt: 2%
Compressed yeast: 1%
Sugar: 13%
Oil: 5%
Water: 58% based on TOTAL FLOUR WEIGHT.
To find the dough water weight calculate total dough absorption and subtract the weight of water in the sponge, the remainder will be the ACTUAL amount of water to add at the DOUGH side.
Procedure:
Add the dough water to the mixing bowl, followed by the salt and sugar, then add the flour and the compressed yeast.
Mix at low speed for 2-minutes, add the oil or shortening and the fermented sponge, mix at low speed for 2-more minutes, then mix at medium speed until the dough is fully developed and extensible. Target finished dough temperature is 80F/26.6C.
Allow the dough to rest for 10-minutes, then scale into desired weight pieces and form into balls.
Allow dough balls to intermediate proof for about 8-minutes (or until they can be rolled/pinned out to desired size)
Place on greased baking sheet and allow to proof at 100 to 105F/37.7 to 40.5C for about an hour or until the buns are fully proofed.
Bake at 440F/226.6C for about 12-minutes or until the buns have a solid brown color.

Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor (link)

Thanks  JR

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
Re: Clarification of this formula please
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 03:20:31 PM »
If I were making that recipe, I'd do it like this:
For 1 kg of flour
I'd make the sponge with 800g flour, 440g (55% of 800g) water, 24g (3% of 800g) compressed yeast.

For the dough, 200g flour, 20g salt (2% of 1000g total flour), 10g yeast (1% of 1000g total flour), sugar 130g (13% of total flour weight), 50g oil (5% of total flour weight) 140g water (580g water minus the 440g already in the sponge.)
130g of sugar seems like a lot at first glance, but Google seems to think its not unusual.

So, in the sponge, % of the weight of the flour in the sponge.
In the dough, % of total flour weight, and calculate how much water I still need to add to get to 58% of the total flour.

That's how I'd do it.
Mick

Offline nickyr

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 12:07:28 AM »
I agree

Offline JRLowey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 05:07:08 AM »
Thanks very much for your help. I'll give it a go today. Appreciate it !!

If I were making that recipe, I'd do it like this:
For 1 kg of flour
I'd make the sponge with 800g flour, 440g (55% of 800g) water, 24g (3% of 800g) compressed yeast.

For the dough, 200g flour, 20g salt (2% of 1000g total flour), 10g yeast (1% of 1000g total flour), sugar 130g (13% of total flour weight), 50g oil (5% of total flour weight) 140g water (580g water minus the 440g already in the sponge.)
130g of sugar seems like a lot at first glance, but Google seems to think its not unusual.

So, in the sponge, % of the weight of the flour in the sponge.
In the dough, % of total flour weight, and calculate how much water I still need to add to get to 58% of the total flour.

That's how I'd do it.

Offline OTRChef

• Supporting Member
    • FoodFamtastic
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 07:26:17 AM »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T