A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 116052 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #420 on: November 06, 2017, 03:06:13 PM »
Like many people here, I have been enjoying your chili oil on my Margherita pizzas.  I have a question on the recipe, though.  You cook the chilis in the oil and then add it post-bake, and I wondered why you do that as opposed to just mixing the chilis into the oil without cooking, then add the oil pre-bake, where it would be cooked on the pizza.  What do you think is the difference with the way you do it?  Thanks!

The cooking infuses the oil with chili flavor. I don't think that would happen if only baked on the pizza. It wouldn't be the same.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Brent-r

• Supporting Member
  • Love the new 'real' oven
« Reply #421 on: January 05, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »
This thread has been going for years and I just found it .
Today we discovered our local grocer (very Italian ). Has Tutto Calabrese crushed peppers and the hot sauce too but not the whole long peppers like you show at the beginning of this thread.   So we are planning to take maybe a tablespoon or two and simmer in EVOO to try for the same effect.   

For any other local Canadians we got these at Garden Foods on highway 50 in Bolton.   That shop is a scaled down Whole Foods and we love it.   ( thank god because the nearest Whole Foods is over an hour away)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:05:47 PM by Brent-r »
Brent

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #422 on: January 20, 2018, 10:33:45 AM »
Instacart says the Whole Foods at The Bergen Town Center has "Tutto Calabria Hot Long Chili Peppers (10.2 oz)". Its real close buy so I think Ill buy a bottle and make this for my wife.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #423 on: January 21, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »
I have no idea how Instacart could say Whole Foods had these peppers around here. Went to Paramus and Ridgewood and neither had them.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #424 on: January 21, 2018, 09:44:52 AM »
I have no idea how Instacart could say Whole Foods had these peppers around here. Went to Paramus and Ridgewood and neither had them.
I did see them in the Albany Whole Foods this week. They do run out of them regularly though. Looks like they shelve 6 bottles at a time. For some reason, I am frequently drawn to that part of the aisle looking for pizza toppings ideas....

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #425 on: January 21, 2018, 09:48:11 AM »
I have never seen them at our Whole Foods but to be honest I quit looking for them there after a year - what do they charge - is it cheaper than 8 bucks a jar. If so, maybe I can have them special order some for me.
Norm

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #426 on: January 21, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
I have never seen them at our Whole Foods but to be honest I quit looking for them there after a year - what do they charge - is it cheaper than 8 bucks a jar. If so, maybe I can have them special order some for me.
They are $7 in Albany. The bottles are in between the canned tomatoes and olive oils with olives and roasted peppers in this store.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #427 on: January 21, 2018, 10:24:06 AM »
Thanks Jon - I should have asked this last time but did the jar look like this. I have tried a lot of brands and I like the Tutto the best by a long shot.
Norm

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #428 on: January 21, 2018, 10:49:35 AM »
What would you think the shelf life of the oil would be when refrigerated/solidified?  Are there any botulism-related concerns as there is with homemade garlic oil?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #429 on: January 21, 2018, 10:53:11 AM »
If there was - I would be dead - I have found open jars in the back of my refrigerator that had been open for months and still ate them (yes, I do have a Tutto Calabria Hot Long Chili Pepper addiction problem). It does not get solidified - at least not the ones I have been using.
Norm

Offline Brent-r

• Supporting Member
  • Love the new 'real' oven
« Reply #430 on: January 21, 2018, 11:08:14 AM »
I just did a search on Amazons Canadian web site.
the first offer is for $ 18.93 a jar
the second offer is for $ 74.99 a jar
the 3rd offer is for $ 112.27 a jar

one would think that the $ 112.27 offer would be for a case, but it does not
say that anywhere that I can find.

the burning sensation may be in your wallet and your mouth.
Brent

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #431 on: January 21, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »
You can find them much, much, much cheaper online - you just need to buy a enough to mitigate the shipping costs and bring the unit price down....
Norm

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #432 on: January 21, 2018, 11:22:08 AM »
Thanks Jon - I should have asked this last time but did the jar look like this. I have tried a lot of brands and I like the Tutto the best by a long shot.
Yes, that's the one. Craig mentioned awhile back in the thread that they made some changes and they aren't exactly like they were in the past.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #433 on: January 21, 2018, 11:27:40 AM »
What would you think the shelf life of the oil would be when refrigerated/solidified?  Are there any botulism-related concerns as there is with homemade garlic oil?
The oil in the jar doesn't solidify in my fridge but batches of chili oil did. I don't make a ton of it so it goes pretty quickly.

Guilty confessions: I've used the solidified chili oil as a spread on a sandwich and then it melts into the bread. A scoop is also great stirred into leftover pizza sauce. I eat it as a cold soup in the summer.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #434 on: January 21, 2018, 11:34:25 AM »
I just did a search on Amazons Canadian web site.
the first offer is for $ 18.93 a jar
the second offer is for $ 74.99 a jar
the 3rd offer is for $ 112.27 a jar

one would think that the $ 112.27 offer would be for a case, but it does not
say that anywhere that I can find.

the burning sensation may be in your wallet and your mouth.

Here is a place that sells them for under 8 bucks with free shipping on orders over 50 dollars - and 10 dollars off on orders over 100.  I have used them w/o any problems or broken jars - a while back amazon had them for about the same price with free prime shipping - I ordered 12 jars and six of them were broken. The lady at the post office (in my small town) still gives me dirty looks when I come in...
Norm

Offline chriscar

« Reply #435 on: January 21, 2018, 11:54:07 AM »

The 2.8kg tubs are the best bet from a $/oz shipped perspective. I've been buying them from either Amazon or www.wholesaleitalianfood.com for a few years, and vacuum sealing them in Ball canning jars.

http://www.wholesaleitalianfood.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=desc&order=price&q=Tutto+Calabria+Hot+Long
Cogito Ergo Zoom!

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #436 on: January 21, 2018, 12:06:00 PM »
The 2.8kg tubs are the best bet from a $/oz shipped perspective. I've been buying them from either Amazon or www.wholesaleitalianfood.com for a few years, and vacuum sealing them in Ball canning jars.

http://www.wholesaleitalianfood.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=desc&order=price&q=Tutto+Calabria+Hot+Long

Is that safe - vacuum sealing is not the same as re-canning - how long to do keep them and do you keep them in the refrigerator. Your right, it does come out about 17 dollars cheaper (comparing 10 jars to one tub with shipping to my house) - but not sure it is safe to do that long term - guess it depends on how fast you eat them  ;)
Norm

Offline chriscar

« Reply #437 on: January 21, 2018, 12:15:19 PM »
I top up the jars with olive oil, vacuum seal them, and put them in the fridge. My last order was in June, and we opened up one one of those jars last night.

Cogito Ergo Zoom!

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #438 on: January 21, 2018, 12:18:22 PM »
Cool, good to know - I might give that a shot  :chef:
Norm

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #439 on: January 21, 2018, 02:21:05 PM »
Neither Uncle Giuseppe’s or Wegman’s in Upper Saddle River had them.

Corrado’s had them (yes the same as in Corrado Soprano) in Clifton. They also had another brand that maybe Ill try later

They have pretty much 1/2 an asle of canned/bottled/pickled peppers from all of the world. Anyone need pickled peppers from Macedonia? Gotta love this place. They make their own fresh mozzarella too. Ive watched them do it a few times.

I found Herb’s Pickled Sour Onions (@ $23/gallon jar) Sounds weird enough to try.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:02:46 PM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!