A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cheese Board Collective Visit  (Read 192 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Cheese Board Collective Visit
« on: January 16, 2018, 07:56:56 PM »
Some of you may be familiar with the Cheeseboard Collective in Berkely by personal experience or by reputation.  They are a very well known and respected worker owned organization that sells a large array of high end cheeses, sourdough breads and pastries  (the "Cheese Board") and pizza (next door is "Cheese Board Pizza").  They are across the street from Chez Panisse founded by Alice Waters.

I am upset with myself for the number of years my wife and I have driven or walked by, told ourselves we should stop by sometime and then we did not.  We have however shopped in another collective called "Arizmendi."  They are a sister organization and they use the same recipes and have overlapping back room support.  There is one five minutes from our house.

We finally stopped by today and I am very happy - better late than never.  Their cheese selection is great and the person who helped me totally knew her stuff, listened to my feedback on samples and homed in on a couple of cheeses for me. That and a baguette took care of my first purchase.  I really have to make it a point to go back.

I think all or most of their breads are sourdough.  The pizza is very Berkeleyish - sourdough, vegetarian and organic.  One type each day - today was Roma tomato, red onion, mozzarella and Dumbarton blue cheese, garlic olive oil, parsley.

We decided to go next door and bought a half a pie.  This is a big deal for me.  I make so much pizza at home that it is pretty rare that we get pizza from pizza places.  I had a half a slice in the street and it was really good!

Very thin, nice and crispy on the outside, delicious cheese (better be! given the selection they have) and great toppings.  Definitmore oily than I would have preferred but still OK.  The dough was excellent - mild sourdough flavor and very chewy but not tough.  The crumb is not big open airy crumb - a relatively flat rim with a nice tighter crumb, but not dense.  Nicely browned.

AND, I scored a new starter to add to my arsenal.  They gladly filled up a container for me and I am feeding it now.  Looking forward to bake with it and see how it behaves and tastes, etc.

Stop by if you are ever in the area.

first 2 pics - cold in the box at home
then the rest are a reheated (toaster oven) slice

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:13:12 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

A D V E R T I S E M E N T