A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Muffelata. Italian Sandwich  (Read 765 times)

Offline Loarina Vega

• I Love Fried Dough Pizza
Muffelata. Italian Sandwich
« on: January 05, 2018, 05:49:46 AM »
Any member have suggestions or Insight on how to recreate this Muffaletta sandwich... Does anyone have a perfect preference on the olive salad... how to make it or where to purchase ??the other question I had was... to recreate. This bread how much hydration would you suggest?? some of the bread has sesame seeds I noticed.. I did a search on this forum and not much is mentioned.. the bread is pretty similar to focaccia but then I could be wrong some of the pictures look to be a more dense bread.   This would be interesting to add to my menu ...   

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:51:53 AM by Loarina Vega »

Offline Cogs

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Muffelata. Italian Sandwich
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 07:13:53 AM »
Google Muffuletta

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 07:28:13 AM »
This is one of my favorite sandwiches.  If you come up with something you like please post your results!
Carl

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:11:55 AM »
Take a peep at this recipe, I've been wanting to make it for about the past year.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/muffuletta-shooters-style-sandwiches-recipe.html

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 10:37:55 AM »
Any member have suggestions or Insight on how to recreate this Muffaletta sandwich... Does anyone have a perfect preference on the olive salad... how to make it or where to purchase ??the other question I had was... to recreate. This bread how much hydration would you suggest?? some of the bread has sesame seeds I noticed.. I did a search on this forum and not much is mentioned.. the bread is pretty similar to focaccia but then I could be wrong some of the pictures look to be a more dense bread.   This would be interesting to add to my menu ...   

Muffaletta bread you find in the south is softer than foccacia and bit dense and isn't chewy.  It goes down easy.  Try 62% hydration, bread flour and 8% shortening, 1.5% salt, 2% sugar  0.5% IDY.  The outer crust shouldn't have any crunch should bake to just light gold color.  Nothing wrong with sesame seeds if you like it.  They sell "Muffalettas" here in NYC on a round French bread roll, it isn't really a Muffaletta.

You can use any Olive salad mix in the supermarket, it's basically pickled olives and other veggies like carrots, peppers, celery and cauliflower, but I like Boscoli Italian Olive Salad mix and add chopped pickled green peperoncini or jalapenos.  If you can't find it at market, you can order it online.  Central Grocery sells their olive salad mix as well online.

Thin slices of Mortadella, Capicola ham or any Italian ham, Genoa Salami, Provolone.  Olive salad mix, absolutely no mayo, cover with bread top, cover with saran wrap, and weigh down with a cast iron pan.

Muffaletta from Central Grocery, New Orleans. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:40:29 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 09:41:45 PM »
I've bought the "That Pickle Guy Olive Muffalata" mix in a jar at Costco a couple of times.  Pretty good!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:30:41 PM by sodface »
Carl

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 10:26:53 PM »
Picked up a jar of this olive salad tonight.  Now to start collecting the other ingredients  >:D
Carl

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 12:55:58 PM »
There are plenty of recipes for muff's on the internet. It has not caught on up here in the northeast Gave this to a couple pizza places figuring that they have most of the ingredients in the shop. None of them saw the value.
Philly cheesesteaks are made up here in some shops but I can't get enthused about dry meat and artificial cheese.

In case you missed this recent recipe of a Central Market emulation; here is the link:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/07/17/muffuletta-sandwich-recipe/

pat

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 07:28:06 PM »
Good timing Pat.  I used the recipe you linked to to make a muffuletta roll last night and made the sandwich with it for dinner tonight.  I tried to stage the same picture as Harry posted above.  I scaled the linked recipe, which was for a 10" roll, down to 81% and used a 9" pan with short sides.  It ended up being too dense and too bready as you can see.  I even wrapped it and weighed it down with cast iron as Harry suggested while I was making my wife's dinner.  It was good but not quite what I'd hoped, with the bread being the weak link, which basically makes me the weak link  :-\

Here's the formula I used:
Bread Flour   110
AP Flour   220
Water   192
Crisco   20
Sugar   10
Salt   7
Yeast   3
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:42:17 PM by sodface »
Carl

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 07:40:43 PM »
Around here, you generally see the olive mix on both pieces of bread.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 04:23:28 PM »
Made one of the variations for the staff at the nursing home and the particular recipe I used did use the olive salad on both slices. Some recipes use cauliflour in the salad and others use Giardinera. Haven't tried all the recipes that I have but I will get to them. You can use more Italian meats than the recipe calls for and never do any harm. I will sometimes add mortadella or capicola in addition to the meats already called for. Some recipes call for brushing the bread with the brine mixture and others use olive oil. It's just what you like.
You may see hot muffaletta recipes but that is not traditional.

pat

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 04:37:18 PM »
I have a coupon from That Pickle Guy - that carry both Giardinera and Muffaletta but I have not tried their products yet. I can't find any Chicago style Giardinera anywhere around my house (and I really like it). I was planning to order some stuff from them next week but that will not help anyone know if it is good since the coupon runs out sooner than I would likely get it.

Has anyone tried there products?

PS. Coupon will likely work for anyone who is interested since no unique code is associated with the coupon offer.

Norm

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 11:03:30 AM »
that looks really good! i think you are being hard on yourself.

Offline Loarina Vega

• I Love Fried Dough Pizza
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 12:56:41 AM »
Good timing Pat.  I used the recipe you linked to to make a muffuletta roll last night and made the sandwich with it for dinner tonight.  I tried to stage the same picture as Harry posted above.  I scaled the linked recipe, which was for a 10" roll, down to 81% and used a 9" pan with short sides.  It ended up being too dense and too bready as you can see.  I even wrapped it and weighed it down with cast iron as Harry suggested while I was making my wife's dinner.  It was good but not quite what I'd hoped, with the bread being the weak link, which basically makes me the weak link  :-\

Here's the formula I used:
Bread Flour   110
AP Flour   220
Water   192
Crisco   20
Sugar   10
Salt   7
Yeast   3
     Nicely Done!! ....its Looks Almost Spot on To Me ....   

wordpress