A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Which Pizza Party to Get  (Read 1622 times)

Offline mikeatl

• I Love Pizza!
Which Pizza Party to Get
« on: May 23, 2016, 04:23:27 PM »
Hello All,
First and foremost thanks for all of the information.  Outstanding to say the least. 

Fortunately I am not new to pizza making.  Several years ago after getting hooked on the idea of making wood fired pizza by cooking them on my Big Green Egg I went down the road of building my own oven.  But we have since moved and I am back to the Egg for the time being.  And although they are good they aren't what I am looking for or used to. 

So now i find myself in the market for a new oven.  And after hours of reading I find myself coming back to the Pizza Party, time and time again.  So with that I believe I have made up my mind.

What I am now trying to decipher are what appear to be three different sized ovens from them.  (Website is a bit difficult). 
Also what I am trying to figure out is why did you choose the size that you did? 
Do you have any regrets?
Do you wish you went larger or smaller. 
Do you find the door opening adequate for your needs.  (Mine was 21") 
Is the 70 x 70 really only roughly 2' x 2'?  (As it look rectangular in all of the pictures I have seen.) 
Do you tend to cook more than one at a time in whatever size you purchased?
What exactly comes with the oven?
How is it holding up outdoors?  And do you cover it.

I know these are a bunch of questions.  And I know many are very happy with their purchase.  But I don't usually spend this much money without seeing it in person.  So I'm trying to gather info anyway I can.   

Many thanks in advance to anyone that responds,
Mike

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Which Pizza Party to Get
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 05:22:04 PM »
Mike, if space is not a factor, I'd suggest getting the largest (Pizzone). There is nothing like having space to work. I don't think having a bit more oven is something you would ever regret, but you may very well regret not going bigger. The difference when it comes to heat-up time and fuel consumption is trivial. The additional cost is pretty trivial too when you consider it as an insurance policy against regretting you went too small.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mikeatl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 06:34:08 PM »
Thanks TXCraig1,

I too tend to think along the same line.  Can't make it bigger that's for sure. 

Here is a link to my build.  A back breaker to say the least. And it did teach me that over building isn't always better.  In this case my oven would take upwards of 6 hrs to white out.  An "all day affair" was an understatement in this case.  Essentially I created too much mass in the walls.  And getting all of that saturated was quite a task. 

http://www.brickwoodovens.com/mclean-wood-fired-brick-pizza-oven-in-georgia-by-brickwood-ovens.html

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 06:36:28 PM »
Agree with Craig. I have a 70x70 & love it- but I would buy the pizzone if I had to do over.

Clay

Offline Pete Zaria

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 08:01:19 PM »
I've had the Pizzone now for a few weeks, I don't have much  experiance with it yet, but I couldn't imagine going smaller.  The opening is also a little larger on the Pizzone than the 70 X 70. Also, be aware that 70 X 70 & 70 X 90 are outside dimensions.  Inside dimensions are a little smaller.

Pete
Pizza, The Adirondack Mountains of New York, and a good stiff drink!

Offline mikeatl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 08:14:37 PM »
Pete and Corkd,

Thank you both for replying.  Could I ask why you guys chose the pizza party over the plethora of options out there? 

Mike
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:28:39 PM by mikeatl »

Offline Pete Zaria

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 08:45:34 PM »
Pete and Corkd,

Thank you both for replying.  Could I ask why you guys why you chose the pizza party over the plethora of options out there? 

Mike

Hi Mike,

I chose the Pizza Party over other options mainly because of the reviews on this forum.  I wanted something that I could take with me when I sell my house in a few years, wouldn't want to leave an expensive build behind.  I also wanted something that would heat quickly, 40 minutes vs 3-4 hrs.  Uses a minimum of wood, can get to true Neapolitan temps. and great customer service, Simone is the best and I have not read anything negative about him or the company, he's always just an email away and always replies.  I recieved my Pizzone three days after ordering to NY.  If you haven't seen mine, take a look at my thread. Also, do a search and take a look at all the great pies that have been baked in the Pizza Party.

Pete

Good luck
Pizza, The Adirondack Mountains of New York, and a good stiff drink!

Offline mikeatl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:03:27 PM »
 Pete,
That's a great setup.  I love the pull out shelf too.

You hit on a lot of my points.
Not leaving an expensive build behind.  (Been there done that)
Heat quickly.  (My expensive build took way too long)
Minimum wood (Mine ate wood like candy)

Great customer service and lots of great reviews are a real plus for sure. 

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 10:09:07 PM »
I did not get the bigger one because of space considerations.  It is on my back deck and I would be poking the back of the house or people with the peel if I had the larger one.  The only other choice was to keep it at an angle which would have been more of a PITA in terms of space.

Having said that, the 70 X 70 is just fine for me in terms of roominess for pizza making.  Really no complaints.  The depth of the Pizzone is greater but the width is the same.

But, if you have the space, I would still recommend the larger one - but, perhaps for a different reason.  I think you probably have more temperature control via a wider range of temperatures - hotter in the back and cooler in the front.  This allows you to manage a pizzas baking temperature a bit more.  The price difference is not large considering you will want to have this for years.

Good luck!
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline NJPizzaTruck

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 07:16:57 PM »
I bought the Pizzone after seeking advice on this forum. Customer service was great and can't find anyone who has had a bad experience. I got a discount as a forum member, so be sure to ask Simone about that.

I had narrowed it down to pizzone vs what everyone feels is a knock off, so in the absence of personal experience, I decided to accept the collective wisdom of the forum, and have no regrets.