A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Blackstone pizza oven question  (Read 2298 times)

Offline joaopmaia

Blackstone pizza oven question
« on: May 25, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »
I found a used blackstone pizza oven for sale at a good price, but it seems to be an older model -- double black shelves at the bottom instead of the gas/propane circular hole.

Is that a bad thing? The unit itself seems to be brand new, and I read a comment by @dylandylan where he mentions using the older model (number 1575) with the 10PSI regulator. I don't even know what that really means.

Any pointers here? Thanks!

Offline zwarbles

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone pizza oven question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »
The older models are just fine. If it's in good condition, everything works, I don't see a problem with it.
Pat

Offline joaopmaia

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:58:00 PM »
Pat,

Cool, thanks. So what's the deal with this 10PSI vs 5PSI thing? Can you shed some light on the difference?

Regards,
--Joao

Offline zwarbles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 02:13:01 PM »
It's just the pressure regulator. Supposedly the 5psi throws out more pressure of the gas. I don't understand all that stuff. I only care that things work.
My blackstone is 5psi and my daughters is the 10.  We can make identical pizza's. So don't hesitate if it's in good condition and everything works.
Pat

Offline caymus

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 02:45:24 PM »
Pat,

Cool, thanks. So what's the deal with this 10PSI vs 5PSI thing? Can you shed some light on the difference?

Regards,
--Joao

Some of the older 10 PSI models could become "flame throwers" at times

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 03:47:42 PM »
I have an older model and it works great.  Make sure the platter spins properly and the gas comes out nice and strong. If both of those are OK then you should be fine.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 05:28:11 PM »
I have an older model and it works great.  Make sure the platter spins properly and the gas comes out nice and strong. If both of those are OK then you should be fine.

^^^   I have one of each. 

Deb

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 06:54:34 PM »
I have the original model, and it has worked fine.  IIRC, all models come with an adjustable regulator -  the difference is that when you open run the 10 psi at full blast, it is putting out gas at 10 pounds per square inch, the 5 psi puts out gas at 5 pounds per square inch.  I believe the original video instruction said to open the regulator completely, then turn it in one full turn - meaning it was not supplying gas at 10 psi, but something less.  The original instructions doesn't say anything about the regulator setting, and some users ran it at full strength.   The problem is that the front control knob, in some of the units, leaked gas under full 10 psi  which could catch on fire.  I think that there were less than a half dozen of such posts, and eventually BS started shipping models with 5 psi regulators.  Since you have the 10 psi, just don't run the regulator full open, and you will be fine.

Offline texmex

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 09:56:29 PM »
Yep, new one with 5 psi works great so far. I've got a 10 psi from my mini black egg.  I found some unmalted flour, so now I wonder if I need that sucka to throw some flame up in here!   >:D hopefully I won't  void my warranty. :-D
Reesa

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 11:42:11 PM »
I baked plenty of sub-60 second pies with the 5PSI reg.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 12:18:36 AM »
I found a used blackstone pizza oven for sale at a good price, but it seems to be an older model -- double black shelves at the bottom instead of the gas/propane circular hole.

If you take out the bottom shelf, you can run a dowel through the collar of the gas tank and hang it off the shelf supports -- it makes it self-contained and easier to roll.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:23:36 AM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 06:44:28 AM »
Yep, new one with 5 psi works great so far. I've got a 10 psi from my mini black egg.  I found some unmalted flour, so now I wonder if I need that sucka to throw some flame up in here!   >:D hopefully I won't  void my warranty. :-D

reesa - no need to swap the 5 for the 10,  the 5 gets hot enough
Deb

Offline joaopmaia

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 04:00:22 PM »
Thanks for answers, everyone. I ended up choosing to just buy a new one from Amazon, since the price wasn't all that different. I felt better by having a proper warranty/etc.

Anyway, the BS is supposed to arrive today. Looking forward to baking some pizzas with it.

--Joao

Offline communist

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 04:06:31 PM »
Good decision. I got 2 units years ago and both were 10PSI flamethrowers.  I guess at least half of the original 10PSI units are flamethrowers. >:D

Offline caymus

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 05:03:09 PM »

Anyway, the BS is supposed to arrive today. Looking forward to baking some pizzas with it.

--Joao

Hopefully it will arrive undamaged.  In the early days that did not always happen.

wordpress