A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 1610751 times)

Peter B and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #18960 on: August 02, 2021, 12:26:54 PM »
What kind of home oven do you have?  That's great your oven can get that hot.  I've never seen a home oven go past 550f unless you turn on the broiler.  I love the Chicago Tavern pie.  Nice job!!!!

Thanks. They are older ovens... 15 years or so. Just basic ovens... 1 is gas the other electric. They both have a max temp of 550. Most ovens have the ability to adjust the temp + or - 35 degrees for inaccuracies in temperature the oven might have. If your oven is temp accurate, however, you can adjust + 35 degrees and squeeze out an extra 35 in temp. That makes our 550 max temp now 585. :)

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18961 on: August 02, 2021, 12:28:14 PM »
spacelooper,

Did you use the same dough recipe and related methods for your tavern style pizza that you discussed at Reply 18237 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg660226#msg660226 ?

Peter

Yes... still using that recipe and method. It really achieves this specific style of Chicago Tavern that I love... the saltine like crackery crust. It's a fave.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18962 on: August 02, 2021, 01:30:57 PM »
Yes... still using that recipe and method. It really achieves this specific style of Chicago Tavern that I love... the saltine like crackery crust. It's a fave.
spacelooper,

For your information, I added your recipe for Chicago Tavern style pizza to the collection at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16422.msg160335#msg160335.

Peter

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18963 on: August 02, 2021, 02:56:45 PM »
spacelooper,

For your information, I added your recipe for Chicago Tavern style pizza to the collection at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16422.msg160335#msg160335.

Peter

Wow, Thanks Peter. That's awesome. :)

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #18964 on: August 02, 2021, 04:02:19 PM »
Tried to make Grimaldi’s pizza but failed to do so.  But with that said it did taste good. I especially liked the crust.  I love the spiderweb effect in the rim.  Love spiderweb effects in any pizza.  I strive for that by doing nothing other than what I usually do. 

Oven temp was about 675F and pizza stone about 675 as well.  I have the LBE pizza oven.  I went from char to burnt a bit.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 04:04:57 PM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18965 on: August 02, 2021, 04:12:09 PM »
Made a SSBP a week ago, and my usual Saturday NY style.
First attempt at the SSBP and was very pleased.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline nickyr

« Reply #18966 on: August 02, 2021, 07:54:23 PM »
Grandma with cheddar and mozarella, serranos, tomato sauce, and vodka sauce

The next two are 30% biga, 20% freshly milled spelt, 10% freshly milled rye

Arugula, goat cheese, blue cheese, fontina, mozzarella, balsamic roasted figs, caramelized onions

Cherry tomatoes, corn, basil, mozzarella, ricotta, black pepper

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
« Reply #18967 on: August 03, 2021, 01:13:57 AM »
On tonight’s menu is a NY/American style drunken football pizza. Welcome to Papa T’s Hold My Beer Pizza Parlor. Football as in a doughy pizza. No footballs were injured in the making of this pie.

A friend hit me up and said, “Hey, can you make us a pizza?” “When,” I asked? They said, “Like now!” I said, sure if you bring the beer. Upon arrival beer was in hand, so we popped some open and I said, I need to get goin’ on this pizza; hold my beer. Then I snatched it back, realizing that I needed it to make the dough. Almost all of my first bottle, 222 grams of the 355 gram contents, was used for the dough. In lieu of water. Good thing they brought two six packs.

Not that we were going to drink to excess. It was too early in the game for that state of being. It’s drunken football style NY/American pizza because beer was used in place of water for hydration. It’s an old baker’s trick to get bread out faster. This pizza, from gathering the ingredients and mixing, to out of the oven was two hours, seven minutes. As with many things in life, beer seems to help.

Besides making the dough behave like it’s on steroids, another benefit of using beer for hydration is that it brings the flavor of the beer to the dough. You know, that kind of fermented, malty, hoppy, yeasty kind of flavor. Not exactly, but reminiscent of a longer CF for dough done in the fridge to add flavor. What beer you like to drink makes a good water replacement for hydration in this dough. Did I mention that the turn around on this was like two hours?

There is no magic in the dough other than using warm beer instead of warm water, and much more yeast as typical for fast doughs. The beer was heated to 105F, because this is a fast rise, some would say emergency dough, and cold liquids when making fast dough is not good. Call the dough what you wish, but it was tasty and fast. A good amount of oil was used to ensure the pizza was more doughy than crispy per request. It could be left out or kept at the 2% or less level to bring more crisp. Personally, I’d leave it out if you want crisp.

The TF on this was .11 since it was supposed to be a doughy pizza, but this same recipe could be used to make the size batch you need for the thickness factor and size pizza you typically like. Just multiply the batch size you typically make for the pizza size and TF you normally like, by .58789 to get the base flour amount, then calculate the other percentages from that base flour (100%) amount. Leave out or reduce the percentage of oil if you want more crisp. For me, I would have gone with a .09 TF batch and left the oil out. I like a bit more crisp, but this softer and chewier pizza was by request and it was quite good.

Another thing about the crispy factor, is that I only have a 16x14 inch stone. Normally I’d bake pizzas directly on the stone but that would limit me to a 14 inch pizza, and needing to hit the stone spot on when launching from the peel. That’s not my forte. Pete recommended that I use a screen to build the pizza and put that on the stone, so I bough a 16” Lloyd screen. I love Lloyd pans so I figured that the screen would work well, and sure enough it worked wonderfully and has been basically maintenance free other than wiping it down.

The first time I tried the screen, I slid the pizza off of the screen directly onto the stone once it moved freely. That happened in the 3-4 minutes range. It did of course shrink a small bit when hitting the heat, and there wasn’t much overhang on the short side of the stone when I slid it off of the screen. Great tip from Pete. I didn’t slide this one off because doughy was specifically requested so it stayed on the screen the entire bake. I was unsure if sliding it off would cause some crisp, even with the .11 TF and 4.3% oil in the dough. Also, baking another minute or two would add more color and definitely crisp if baked without the screen and directly on the stone.

The pizza was topped with eight ounces of sauce, 11 ounces of a 50/50 mix of LMWM and LMPS mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, sliced onions, and anchovies. I brushed on some olive oil to the skin once made, and ground a bit of black pepper on it, along with a light dusting of garlic powder before topping it. An umami bomb pizza for sure that goes well with beer.

Mix the dough as you would any of your NY/American style doughs, ball it, and place it into a very lightly oiled covered container to rise at RT. It will double in less than 60 minutes with the RT around 78F. My kitchen temp consistently runs 78-80F, and the dough was ready at 40 minutes. Make your skins and top as desired. It’s a fairly foolproof and forgiving dough as long as it doesn’t rise too long. You could still use it if it does, but you won’t get the big oven spring. You need to be ready to make pizza when the dough says it’s ready.

The pizza baked for 11 minutes. The oven was preheated to 500F for 45 minutes with the stone on the bottom rack, turning the pizza 180 at the six minute mark. Once pulled, it was slid off the screen onto a cooling rack for a five minute rest, then cut on a board. I then slid the slices back onto the cooling rack so the moisture could vent, reducing the chance of becoming gummy. We each had two slices, three beers, the pizza had one too, and two are awaiting me in the fridge as my tip. Overall, a really good night.

Ingredients and percentages below. Multiply your batch size by .58789 to get your base flour amount, and then calculate the other percentages from the list below.

Flour, I used KABF, 100%
Beer, what you like, warmed to 105F, 60%
Salt, 1.5%
Sugar, 2.3%
Oil, 4.3%
Yeast, I use Saf Red IDY, 2%
NOTE: Leave the oil out if you want crisp.

For this pizza at 16 inches with a .11 TF, 628 grams ball, I used, KABF 369g, beer @105F 222g, Salt 5.5g, Sugar 8.5g, oil 16g, IDY 7G.

Make as you would any other NY Slice or American style pizza dough you like, then ball it, cover it, and let rise at RT. It will rise fast, most likely in well under one hour. Bake as you would the NY/American pizzas you typically like to make.
Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

The best pizza you'll ever make for someone is making the one they ask for instead of making it the way we think it should be made.

Isolating a year from C-19 made me a better baker. Unfortunately, it did nothing for my typos, LOL.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #18968 on: August 04, 2021, 06:53:05 PM »
Same day dough trial. I was pleasantly surprised at the very good taste and texture of the crust.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 07:04:06 PM by HansB »
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline BinATX

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18969 on: August 04, 2021, 10:53:22 PM »
First attempt with the Nerd Chef 3/8 steel. So much to work on. Most importantly, I chickened out and put it on the third rack from the broiler instead of the second. Temp only got to a little over 500. I’ll give it another shot soon. The process really is the reward - that and watching my 2.5 year-old eat five slices.

Online Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18970 on: August 05, 2021, 08:57:27 AM »
Made a pseudo Grandma's Tomato Pie
Used my Detroit dough recipe, scaled down a bit...

Ended up with a 440g dough ball in a Lloyds Detroit pan.  Dough was thicker than a 'proper' grandma's pie.

Layed down some garlic, about 3oz of Mozzarella and 1oz cheddar (light cheese application)
Lots of sauce (Sclafani), was probably about 20oz - would go a bit less next time.
More garlic, a few sliced onions, parmesan cheese
Added some dried Rosemary and salt to the crust for a different flavor pop.
500 oven for about 12 minutes

Turned out great...next time = less dough, less sauce, maybe add some fresh basil

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18971 on: August 05, 2021, 09:21:40 PM »
Until tonight, I haven’t made bread or pizza in 2 months. I also have that much catching up to do on this thread, which I will enjoy.

This is my first attempt at a South Shore Bar Pie. This cast iron pan is the closest thing I have to what is normally used. My wife and I both loved it. When she told me so I said “Good, there is another dough in the fridge ready to go sometime soon.” I think this is the best I have ever done first time trying a new style. Thanks to Hans and several other people who have posted on these at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=65451.0

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 09:23:52 PM by foreplease »
-Tony

Online Trinity

• Lifetime Member
  • Extra cheese please!
« Reply #18972 on: August 06, 2021, 10:19:29 AM »
Until tonight, I haven’t made bread or pizza in 2 months. I also have that much catching up to do on this thread, which I will enjoy.

This is my first attempt at a South Shore Bar Pie. This cast iron pan is the closest thing I have to what is normally used. My wife and I both loved it. When she told me so I said “Good, there is another dough in the fridge ready to go sometime soon.” I think this is the best I have ever done first time trying a new style. Thanks to Hans and several other people who have posted on these at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=65451.0

Awesome edge there! :drool:
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18973 on: August 06, 2021, 06:28:44 PM »
Awesome edge there! :drool:
Thank you. I only had the courage to try it because of the DS pizzas I’ve made, also thanks to Hans.
-Tony

Offline Yeller

« Reply #18974 on: August 07, 2021, 08:15:28 AM »
Last night's tavern..ribs on Traeger tomorrow..

Offline Numerator

• Just keep cooking
« Reply #18975 on: August 07, 2021, 05:44:04 PM »
Pie from last night.  I am still very challenged when getting dough to rise.  I just can't seem to get much rise during cooking.

Pepperoni, hot Italian sausage, peeled tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and red onions.  Sourdough starter.

Cooked in pizza oven insert in a smoker.

Attempting this recipe: https://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 05:47:09 PM by Numerator »
Dough Fermentation Tool
http://www.shadergraphics.com

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18976 on: August 07, 2021, 07:35:53 PM »
Same song, second verse. Sausage & mushroom. This and a salad was a wonderful dinner.

-Tony

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18977 on: August 07, 2021, 08:49:34 PM »
2 1/2 min bake with type 1 flour in ZioCiro mini.

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
« Reply #18978 on: August 08, 2021, 06:27:30 AM »
A pretty standard NY slice style pizza. This past Friday a friend said they would help me move some stuff around the house on Saturday, and asked that I make them this kind of pizza. It's a 16 inch pie, using a 520 gram dough ball for about a .09 tf. Straight up standard pizza dough recipe. I used KAAP since it's what I had the most of that was open.

Flour, 320 grams, 100%
Water, RT, 192 grams, 60%
Salt, 8 grams, 2.5%
Yeast IDY, 0.6 grams, 0.2%

I mixed the dough with a spatula and then by hand until all was incorporated. That took about 3 minutes. I let it sit covered for 15 minute so things could absorb. Then I did 4 stretch and folds, covered, and then did the stretch and fold thing 3 more times at 15 minute intervals. The dough looked good and was strong, so I balled it an and put it in a lightly oiled bowl and let it sit on the counter for an hour, then into the fridge on the bottom shelf overnight. The dough was in the fridge about 20 hours. I took the dough out three hours before baking and it warmed up and almost doubled in size.

The dough was removed from the bowl, I made the skin, placed it on my 16 inch Lloyd screen, then brushed a light coating of EVOO on the opened dough. I used about eight ounces of sauce, about 14 ounces of LMPS mozzarella cheese, and topped with red onion, fresh white mushroom slices, and about 10 ounces of mostly browned pork sausage. After sauce and cheese, I put down a good amount of red onion, and sausage, then more cheese.

The mushrooms were a late afterthought requested, but I had some whole ones in the fridge, so I sliced them and put them on top, with a few more rings of onion that remained and were lonely, and a bit more sausage. It was a heavy pizza for sure. Lots of raw veg, but it steamed out well and brushing the spread dough with oil first, kept the dough from getting gummy.

I had 8 ounces (11 slices) of LMPS mozzarella so I put that down as the cheese and then filled in the gaps with some LMPS I had shredded, in addition to adding more shredded cheese after the onion and sausage were added. The mushrooms, being a late addition, were added on top of everything along with more sausage. It was a feast.

As expected, the middle was floppy from the bake, but not unreasonably wet, and the crust had good bite and snap once you got away from the center. They said it was just how they like it. This person is like me. They like things soft in the middle and crusty around the edges, LMAO!

I baked it at 475F for 14 minutes in a preheated oven with a stone on the bottom rack. I removed the pie from the screen once the dough had set up in the oven, about 3 minutes into the bake, to finish baking on the stone. I rotated the pie 180 degrees at 7 minutes, then again 90 at the 10 minute mark. The bottom browned well.

My stone is 16x14 inches, so I use the screen to start off the bake until the pizza shrinks a bit and starts to firm up, and then off the screen and finishing on the stone. I get a really good bake doing that. I get about a half inch overhang on the short side of the stone, but it hasn't caused an issue with the bake. I've had good success using this method, and again, thanks to Peter giving me the suggestion on how to make a larger size pizza on a bit smaller stone.

I also made for my friend, in my Lloyd DS pan, my version of Little Debbie's Cosmic Brownies. They are a big fan of those, and you need to keep the people that help you move stuff happy. I ate one brownie, they ate a couple, and they took the rest home, unlike the pizza that was totally consumed.
Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

The best pizza you'll ever make for someone is making the one they ask for instead of making it the way we think it should be made.

Isolating a year from C-19 made me a better baker. Unfortunately, it did nothing for my typos, LOL.

Offline CarryOn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18979 on: August 08, 2021, 12:48:50 PM »
That pizza is so round it looks like you put a plate over the dough skin and cut around it.  :-D
Mine look like amoeba's half the time.
My best to your wife...
Thanks. I find that if I let the dough hang out in a bowl in the fridge overnight, then carefully let it drop from the bowl onto the counter on its own, it does 75% of the work for me and I just have to stretch and smooth it a bit to get a good circle.

Now, just don't ask me to freehand a rectangle. The best I can manage there is a sort of oval. I think I heard someone refer to that shape as a rectoval once.

MrsCO is doing well, thank you. Complaining a lot, but doing well.

wordpress