A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My trip to Naples and back  (Read 5170 times)

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
Re: My trip to Naples and back
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2021, 12:27:02 PM »
One thing I don't think I've ever thought about is placement of the pie after rotating. I think it usually ends up somewhere near the same place, but if it is first launched towards the back, turned and replaced closer to the door, the front might get some extra heat from the stone where the pizza hasn't sat before. Then again, the areas farthest out and in of the oven doesn't get as hot since the upper element isn't directly above.

I prefer keeping it somewhat directly under the heating element.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2021, 01:01:24 PM »
How does the bottom look at those temperatures?
A little less charred. I'll take a picture next time.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2021, 01:04:12 PM »
One thing I don't think I've ever thought about is placement of the pie after rotating. I think it usually ends up somewhere near the same place, but if it is first launched towards the back, turned and replaced closer to the door, the front might get some extra heat from the stone where the pizza hasn't sat before. Then again, the areas farthest out and in of the oven doesn't get as hot since the upper element isn't directly above.

I prefer keeping it somewhat directly under the heating element.
Placing it on the same spot after rotating is hard. It would be ideally not having to rotate during the bake. Some Italians don't and even get away with it with top and bottom set to max. Mine burns when i try.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2021, 12:26:01 PM »
Not my best pie and i probably didn't let the oven preheat long enough.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2021, 12:06:19 PM »
Top set to 500 and bottom to 450.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2021, 05:22:57 PM »
The last picture is past the point for me.  I'd eat it myself, but it was pointed out by my wife that it would be too black, so I try to keep the lower element off.  But that's just me, a nice looking pizza!
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2021, 11:00:54 AM »
The last picture is past the point for me.  I'd eat it myself, but it was pointed out by my wife that it would be too black, so I try to keep the lower element off.
It was a little blacker than desired, so i guess the misses was right!  :P
Next time ill set the top to 470 and the bottom to 450.
But that's just me, a nice looking pizza!
Thanks!

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2021, 11:26:28 AM »
This is the pie that comes really close to what i am aiming at!

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2021, 11:28:26 AM »
Sorry, forgot the picture of the top. Dough balls had 24 hour rt and 24 hours ct fermentation.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2021, 11:49:11 AM »
How do you time the launch with these different temperatures?
Heine

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2021, 12:49:32 PM »
That bottom is more to my liking! :D
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2021, 12:57:39 PM »
How do you time the launch with these different temperatures?
What do you mean time the launch?

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2021, 03:48:14 PM »
What do you mean time the launch?
Do you pay any attention to when the elements are energized during their cycle or do you just launch it when you sre ready?

The heating elements switch on and off as the temperature sensor reaches it setpoint and drops below it again. The most significant effect of it is that the radtiation heat from the upper element changes. Once the relay energize the element, it reaches the end of the coolest period and right before the relay disengage, it is at the highest temperature. Since the oven is quite small, this can have an effect on the temperature of the stone and how much temperature is delivered to the top of the pizza.
Heine

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2021, 12:26:54 PM »
Do you pay any attention to when the elements are energized during their cycle or do you just launch it when you sre ready?

The heating elements switch on and off as the temperature sensor reaches it setpoint and drops below it again. The most significant effect of it is that the radtiation heat from the upper element changes. Once the relay energize the element, it reaches the end of the coolest period and right before the relay disengage, it is at the highest temperature. Since the oven is quite small, this can have an effect on the temperature of the stone and how much temperature is delivered to the top of the pizza.
Thank you for clarifying, now i understand. Frankly i do not pay attention to it, but perhaps i should!

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2021, 01:58:20 PM »
Thank you for clarifying, now i understand. Frankly i do not pay attention to it, but perhaps i should!
Maybe you should or maybe I shouldn’t. I’d love to hear from others with the same oven.
Heine

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2021, 08:49:10 AM »
Maybe you should or maybe I shouldn’t. I’d love to hear from others with the same oven.
FWIW on the Italian F1 forum they say it only applies to G3 Ferrari ovens.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2021, 05:48:36 PM »
Tonight it was pizza prosciutto time! Dough balls weighing 250 grams, 65% hydro, 3% salt 0,4% dry yeast. In bulk 12 hours RT and 8 hours in balls RT.

The top of the oven set to 470 and the bottom to 450 and no timing the launch of the pizza. This time the plan was no turn, since some Italians on the F1 forum advocate this is was curious to try it again. But after sixty seconds it still looked a little under cooked, so i decided to turn and bake it for another ten seconds. In contrary to what i expected the bottom was fine, leaning to the under cooked side and far less scorched than it has prone to be with turning after thirty seconds. Not having to turn has lots of advantages i believe, a big plus was that the bottom didn't have that skunky taste that it sometimes has on one side when turning.

Sorry no pictures, the pizza was so good that it was gone before i could get the camera.  :-[

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2021, 12:38:17 PM »
This Margherita was baked from the dough ball batch from yesterday. Top set to 500 and bottom to 450, baked for 60 seconds and no turn.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2021, 02:11:36 PM »
Very nice! How does the top look when not turned? That’s where I see the biggest difference. When I turn after 40 seconds, the crust side furthest in is quite pale, while the outer side has started browning. If not turned, the side furthest in gets an undercooled characteristic.
Heine

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2021, 06:13:38 PM »
As you can see on picture one, after a sixty seconds bake without turning the top was a little under coocked in general. Like you mentioned a bit less on the side that was closest to the wall of the oven. Tried another bake without turning, this time for eighty seconds resulting in a bit over coocked top. As seen on the second picture, the side closest to the window was  the most charred. And the bottom was a bit scorched but still edible to me (probably would not be to Amolapizza his wife  ;D).