A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Opinions On PizzApp  (Read 396 times)

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
Opinions On PizzApp
« on: July 09, 2021, 03:52:46 PM »
What are your opinions on PizzApp? I’ve been comparing it to the expanded calculator from here, which I put a bit more stock in, and I’m finding the amounts of yeast it recommends to be high. Does anyone find that to be the case?
I started out with nothing. I have most of it left.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Opinions On PizzApp
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 04:15:12 PM »
What are your opinions on PizzApp? I’ve been comparing it to the expanded calculator from here, which I put a bit more stock in, and I’m finding the amounts of yeast it recommends to be high. Does anyone find that to be the case?
Bbqguy,

Can you give us one or more examples of the PizzApp yeast values, by weight and/or volume?

Peter

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 04:30:24 PM »
Bbqguy,

Can you give us one or more examples of the PizzApp yeast values, by weight and/or volume?

Peter

Here’s an example comparing our calculator vs the PizzApp calculator.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 04:46:42 PM »
FWIW, One of the most common denominators in posts mentioning PizzaApp recipe problems is that it's got some issue with yeast amounts.  I noticed this in the past year when people were having dough troubles, and I noticed they mentioned that specific App often. 

Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 05:04:06 PM »
I have not tried the Dough calculator here but have had excellent results using the PizzApp.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 05:09:45 PM »
I have not tried the Dough calculator here but have had excellent results using the PizzApp.

Thank you Hans. That’s good to know.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 05:30:11 PM »
Bbqguy,

When Mike (Boy Hits Car) and I were designing the original dough calculating tools, we had to come up with weight and volume values for the various ingredients used by the tools other than for flour, water and cake yeast, which had no fixed weight/volume values. Since we had to start from somewhere, we used some of the conversion data that Steve, the owner of the forum, had come up with in 2003 for ingredients like ADY, sugar and salt, which he weighed on a scale in order to get greater accuracy than was available in the literature where rounding of numbers was common. He did not do likewise for IDY.

I'm not sure whether I was aware of the Nutrition Data website at the time, at https://nutritiondata.self.com/, but as it turned out that website did not, and still does not, have conversion data for IDY. In cases where I did not have or could not find reliable conversion data through online searches and Nutrition Facts, my practice was to weigh the ingredient in question on a small accurate scale. Typically, for dry ingredients I would take a teaspoon of the ingredient, level it off, and weigh the ingredient. I would do this several times and calculate the average of all of the readings. My memory is not good enough to remember whether I did this for IDY. However, it is quite possible that I looked at the yeast conversion chart cited below that I was aware of at the time we created the forum's dough calculating tools:

https://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm

You can get a general idea as to how Mike and I dealt with the above types of issues and problems getting accurate and reliable data at the top part of the post at Reply 1040 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg415076;topicseen#msg415076

Peter

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 06:47:19 PM »
Bbqguy,

When Mike (Boy Hits Car) and I were designing the original dough calculating tools, we had to come up with weight and volume values for the various ingredients used by the tools other than for flour, water and cake yeast, which had no fixed weight/volume values. Since we had to start from somewhere, we used some of the conversion data that Steve, the owner of the forum, had come up with in 2003 for ingredients like ADY, sugar and salt, which he weighed on a scale in order to get greater accuracy than was available in the literature where rounding of numbers was common. He did not do likewise for IDY.

I'm not sure whether I was aware of the Nutrition Data website at the time, at https://nutritiondata.self.com/, but as it turned out that website did not, and still does not, have conversion data for IDY. In cases where I did not have or could not find reliable conversion data through online searches and Nutrition Facts, my practice was to weigh the ingredient in question on a small accurate scale. Typically, for dry ingredients I would take a teaspoon of the ingredient, level it off, and weigh the ingredient. I would do this several times and calculate the average of all of the readings. My memory is not good enough to remember whether I did this for IDY. However, it is quite possible that I looked at the yeast conversion chart cited below that I was aware of at the time we created the forum's dough calculating tools:

https://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm

You can get a general idea as to how Mike and I dealt with the above types of issues and problems getting accurate and reliable data at the top part of the post at Reply 1040 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg415076;topicseen#msg415076

Peter

Thanks for your input Pete. I always appreciate your very informative replies to inquiries.

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 08:41:43 PM »
I've been using the pizzaapp for the last year on a 24 hour rt dough.   Works great for me.  The only trouble is estimating the temp in my kitchen in that 24 hour period.  I watch the dough the last couple hours after balling.  I'm might put it in the fridge if it looks to be fermenting fast than I want

Jerry